Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > Public Beta - New Voobly Client release

Public Beta - New Voobly Client release

+chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 13 March 2022 - 5:33 pm by +Elusive
Dear Community

with the release of Microsoft Windows 11, we are experiencing more and more crashing issues. There are also known issues using Windows 10 21H2 (latest version) such as client crashes when resizing the window / game room and lobby chat section or the problem, that updates must be downloaded manually, because TLS is not supported yet and much more, e. g. the "blinking" issue in our Voobly game browser.

Our first beta release will restore the stability on most recent operating systems, including Windows 11. We have updated the client to the latest version of Qt 6.2 and are now using the most recent version of Microsoft Visual Studio. This is the largest update in terms of breadth ever since start of Voobly; all bits have changed.

Testing notes:
- Test with a clean install of Windows (to ensure 2019 VC Redist, etc can be installed by Voobly installer)
- Test with the old version of Voobly (https://www.voobly.com/updates/voobly-v2.2.5.71.exe) -> voobly update (http://www.voobly.com/updates/voobly-v2.3.3.0-update-full.exe)
- Test with the new version of Voobly installer (https://www.voobly.com/updates/voobly-v2.3.3.0.exe)
- Test mod updates, large mods, etc.
- Test with clean install of the game
- Play your games!

Known Issues:
  • Windows XP is NOT supported. Support for this product has ended on Apr 8, 2014. OS is EOL.
  • Windows Vista is NOT supported. Support for this product has ended on Apr 11, 2017. OS is EOL.
  • Windows 7 is NOT supported. Support for this product has ended on Jan 14, 2020. OS is EOL.

Please report any bugs / problems / crashing issues / visual errors here and get rewarded with a premium membership! Please make sure to upload the crash dumps from the Voobly directory when reporting crashing issues and always add screenshots when reporting problems, to make it easier for us.

In our next public beta release, we will add TLS support for automatic updates and fixing the Voobly game browser. But for now, let's focus on stability and native support for Windows 10 / 11.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 17 February 2022 - 8:11 pm by +chris@voobly
Windows 7 and higher can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
It is recommended to upgrade to Windows 10 first.

How to upgrade to Windows 10 or Windows 11:
[You must login to view link]

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 13 March 2022 - 10:21 pm by +chris@voobly
Microsoft has stopped maintaining Windows XP in 2014, the OS has reached EOL more than eight years ago and it's more than 20 years old. You should consider upgrading to a most recent version of Microsoft Windows.

Microsoft has stopped maintaining Windows 7 in 2020, the OS has reached EOL more than two years ago and it's more than 10 years old. You should consider upgrading to a most recent version of Microsoft Windows.

We have upgraded our client to the latest version of the Qt framework (version 6), which also not longer supports EOL operating systems. Rolling back to the old stable release of Qt (version 5), which is already ten years old, isn't an option for us.

We are also forced upgrading our software, so it works with the most recent operating systems.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Posted 30 January 2022 - 2:01 pm
Can there be issues if some people have the new version of the client and play aginst people with the old one?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 30 January 2022 - 2:05 pm
+pablo@voobly wrote:
Can there be issues if some people have the new version of the client and play aginst people with the old one?
No issues I am aware of.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Posted 30 January 2022 - 5:14 pm
Here are a few things I've noticed:
  • The lobbies always open up in "Table view". The client doesn't seem to remember my prefered option.
  • If I don't have the 1.5 RC patch, the client correctly detects that and offers me to download it. However, if I have the 1.6 RC patch but not the 1.5 one, it warns me that I don't have the 1.5 but the download button takes me to the 1.6 page.
  • No warning is issued if I don't have the 1.6 patch, despite the behaviour mentioned above.
This was done on a virtual machine with Windows 10 Home 21H2
Link | Reply | Quote
 +tmp_acc_2

Edited 30 January 2022 - 6:53 pm by +tmp_acc_2
Uninstalled the previous version, then downloaded the new update and then installed, then got this when I tried to launch

Attachments:
EntryPoint.png (file size: 36.1 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Edited 30 January 2022 - 8:34 pm by freddynight
Thank you Chris! Amazing work on this one! I played two games yesterday with https://www.voobly.com/updates/voobly-v2.3.0.0.exe

I love how downloads and joining a room do not freeze the client. I must say the different is day and night compared to 2.2. Joining Medieval siege lobby seems to take longer than usual but so far I'm happy with how the client is smooth right now.

I played two games, the second one I dropped (not intentionally) and neither the client nor messenger disconnected. I closed the room then I can still see myself inside the room with that guy.

I uploaded voobly logs

As far as issues with players with different voobly client, I can confirm there aren't any in fact 2.3 is faster to join room and instantly unspec yourself before someone snaps your spot xD

I just installed 2.3.0.1 and I will test some more
Attachments:
Voobly.zip (file size: 32.46 KB)
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 30 January 2022 - 8:27 pm
Here I uploaded voobly logs:
Thanks mate, please zip the logs and upload them at the forums. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 30 January 2022 - 8:28 pm
+tmp_acc_2 wrote:
Uninstalled the previous version, then downloaded the new update and then installed, then got this when I tried to launch
Looks like, we have a problem with Windows 7. Can you please confirm by performing a clean installation? Uninstall and re-install? Thank you very much. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 30 January 2022 - 8:34 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
Thanks mate, please zip the logs and upload them at the forums. :)
Np! Done!
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 30 January 2022 - 10:44 pm by +chris@voobly
+tmp_acc_2 wrote:

Run sfc /scannow command via CMD (Start > run > type "cmd" > right-click on Command Prompt > run as administrator.)

Please also check, whether your Windows 7 is up to date. The following update must be installed.

32-Bit
2018-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4457144)

64-Bit
2018-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4457144)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +AmrO

Edited 1 February 2022 - 11:56 pm by +AmrO
Hi Chris,
I tried this new version .... below my comments for trying it for like 2hrs

1- lobby lines to game rooms are not aligned.
2- when I click NAT Traversal Log Debug it opens the window, but no close button for it.
3- Voobly itself crashed once in this 2hrs when we tried to save a game.
4- no sound at all in the room for joining players or game start or "14" .... etc.
5- the client is like all mute no sound at all.

version tested was https://www.voobly.com/updates/voobly-v2.3.0.1.exe on clean windows 11.

Regards,
Amr.

Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Edited 30 January 2022 - 11:17 pm by freddynight
+tmp_acc_2 wrote:
It looks to me that this guy is missing a vc++ library so maybe if he downloads and install the allinone vc++ [You must login to view link]

That should solve the problem but reboot after the install.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Edited 31 January 2022 - 1:09 am by freddynight
A crash happened when i was chatting. Log enclosed
Attachments:
voobly 5.txt (file size: 43.65 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]234567891011121314
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 210 posts