Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > Public Beta - New Voobly Client release

Public Beta - New Voobly Client release

freddynight

Edited 23 February 2022 - 10:45 pm by freddynight
+chris@voobly wrote:
They are both not banned from the New Player Lobby.
Here are screenshots from those players as promised.
Btw they use voobly 2.3.0.4
Attachments:
moncef.png (file size: 703.95 KB)
zinx.png (file size: 472.48 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 February 2022 - 7:56 am
Found it, it's a bug in the last client.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Edited 24 February 2022 - 11:43 am by freddynight
+chris@voobly wrote:
Found it, it's a bug in the last client.
Good Job!

Honestly just get rid of that banning system to allow all to join.

For example when two people are sharing the same computer with different level or a good player signed into a computer of a bad player to advertise your client, you are technically denying the lowest player to play games in his league and get addicted to voobly therefore you are basically telling that user go screw yourself you are sharing a computer with a good player.

Another point I'd like to bring up in lights of the previous suggestions when a client first signs into Voobly, your client should detect if an age of empires 2 game already exists on the user's pc then automatically send him to New Player Lobby only if his account has low elo or zero stats. Because a new user to voobly will click the first lobby or the lobby with the most players on it.

The two players I brought from GR they clicked on Casual Lobby and were idling there because it is the first in the list they click it. I had to tell them "click New Player Lobby" so yeah the client is not self-intuitive for new users.

I like where it's headed with the new client please keep up the good work!!
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 February 2022 - 1:19 pm
You probably misunderstood our NPL concept. It's not for bad players or players who have low ELO. NPL was designed for players who are new to Voobly and have to get familiar with the (old-school) lobby system first and still don't know how AKA-rate and ELO works. To protect these players from experienced players, we created this lobby.

In the past we caught (experienced) players who just wanted to have easy games, or winning even though they were drunk or stoned, or players streaming "troll-games". Someone who has not played for some time and returns to Voobly is not supposed to play in the NPL. NPL just ensures, that new players find a safe harbor. Based on the number of games played, number of won games resign, or ELO or other behavior based points we automatically transfer players to MS / Casual / CS.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 24 February 2022 - 4:34 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
You probably misunderstood our NPL concept. It's not for bad players or players who have low ELO. NPL was designed for players who are new to Voobly and have to get familiar with the (old-school) lobby system first and still don't know how AKA-rate and ELO works. To protect these players from experienced players, we created this lobby.

In the past we caught (experienced) players who just wanted to have easy games, or winning even though they were drunk or stoned, or players streaming "troll-games". Someone who has not played for some time and returns to Voobly is not supposed to play in the NPL. NPL just ensures, that new players find a safe harbor. Based on the number of games played, number of won games resign, or ELO or other behavior based points we automatically transfer players to MS / Casual / CS.

I like the idea and it's fair man I'm with you. I applaud your determination to make the new player lobby a great experience for new players as far as I see it the feature is an overkill for the playerbase voobly has. I suppose a very simple procedure like denying 1300+ players from playing ranked/unranked in npl is enough. Not even steam or League of legends have the system you guys have. The anti-cheat on the other hand, a big YES that's where you guys shine in comparison to other platforms.

There is a sizable minority on Medieval siege between 1000 and 1200 would better off play on NPL then MS leaving room for both the new players and low 1200 to learn from eachother and enjoy games considerably.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +Elusive

Voobly Team

Posted 24 February 2022 - 6:33 pm
Beta Version v2.3.0.5

Update Package: https://www.voobly.com/updates/voobly-v2.3.0.5-update-full.exe
Installer Package: https://www.voobly.com/updates/voobly-v2.3.0.5.exe

Changes:
  • Fixed banning glitch from last update
Link | Reply | Quote
 +AmrO

Edited 24 February 2022 - 9:52 pm by +AmrO
Blue screen game ... this version is not working with me Im rolling back to to the prev. version v2.3.0.4
After rolling back same problem still exisits .... will do voobly clean installation for ver 5
ver v2.3.0.5 clean installation is working fine however upgrading seems there a problem
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 25 February 2022 - 7:29 am
The problem should be resolved now. Could you please confirm?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 25 February 2022 - 7:30 am
+AmrO wrote:
Blue screen game ... this version is not working with me Im rolling back to to the prev. version v2.3.0.4
After rolling back same problem still exisits .... will do voobly clean installation for ver 5
ver v2.3.0.5 clean installation is working fine however upgrading seems there a problem
Does anyone else can confirm this? I am unable to reproduce a blue screen or any crashes.
2.3.0.5 is a bug fix for the banning issue, nothing else has changed.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 25 February 2022 - 11:23 am
Please upgrade to 2.3.0.5 if you have installed any previous versions of the new beta client, so you are not affected by the banning bug.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Edited 25 February 2022 - 11:42 am by freddynight
+chris@voobly wrote:
The problem should be resolved now. Could you please confirm?
I have forwarded the download link, waiting for their feedback today and will get back to you.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 26 February 2022 - 11:37 am
I have forwarded the download link, waiting for their feedback today and will get back to you.
Yep, they are playing already. :)
https://www.voobly.com/match/view/24605051
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Edited 26 February 2022 - 1:38 pm by freddynight
+chris@voobly wrote:
Yep, they are playing already. :)

Yes! Sorry I was busy yesterday so could not get back to you. Both confirm it works but one of them faced a "could not initialize" issue I put his screenshot below; If I did not guide him to solve it for the second time (previous voobly client version and this one) he would not figured it out. I suggest to make the client render 32bit by default.

Also apply desktop resolution to the game before it start by editing Screen Width & Screen Height values at the following registry location:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion\1.0

The second issue and It's funny I pointed it out earlier in this thread.. Check that very game match you shared with us

Is there something off ? a 1300+ player steam rolling new players? He can basically win 1v2 or 1v3 what did your current algo do about that? If I were you I would change max elo from 1400 to 1300 and deny 1250+ from playing both ranked and unranked at new player lobby instead of banning all players which obviously fails at catching several decent players.

Attachments:
could not.jpg (file size: 2.75 MB)
IGCKCz9zSuWdCdUOAZcxwg.png (file size: 29.01 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 26 February 2022 - 1:56 pm
Yes! Sorry I was busy yesterday so could not get back to you. Both confirm it works but one of them faced a "could not initialize" issue I put his screenshot below; If I did not guide him to solve it for the second time (previous voobly client version and this one) he would not figured it out. I suggest to make the client render 32bit by default.
It's on the dev list for the new client already.
Also apply desktop resolution to the game before it start by editing Screen Width & Screen Height values at the following registry location:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion\1.0
We could not figure that out and implement a working solution for this. People still have to manually change the resolution in the game settings.

The problem: imagine a notebook user with an attached external screen for higher resolution. On his second game, he plays with the notebook screen only. His third game he plays with the notebook monitor shut (off) and the external screen only. The client would be unable to properly detect and handle this.
The second issue and It's funny I pointed it out earlier in this thread.. Check that very game match you shared with us

Is there something off ? a 1300+ player steam rolling new players? He can basically win 1v2 or 1v3 what did your current algo do about that? If I were you I would change max elo from 1400 to 1300 and deny 1250+ from playing both ranked and unranked at new player lobby instead of banning all players which obviously fails at catching several decent players.
The plan is to handle this with the wins/losses statistics in future and implement something called "teams win together", which means that players resigning games, to keep their ratings low, will gain points anyway.
Link | Reply | Quote
 freddynight

Posted 26 February 2022 - 3:38 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
It's on the dev list for the new client already.
Good to hear! It's a must to-do item.
+chris@voobly wrote:
The problem: imagine a notebook user with an attached external screen for higher resolution. On his second game, he plays with the notebook screen only. His third game he plays with the notebook monitor shut (off) and the external screen only. The client would be unable to properly detect and handle this.
That's why you should execute the registry fix at game launch countdown. C++ code is willing to auto detect the [You must login to view link].
+chris@voobly wrote:
The plan is to handle this with the wins/losses statistics in future and implement something called "teams win together", which means that players resigning games, to keep their ratings low, will gain points anyway.
Yes! I love it that's even a better idea and you combine it with 1250 threshold for players to no longer play on new player lobby will be perfection.

Link | Reply | Quote
12345[6]7891011121314
Displaying 76 - 90 out of 210 posts