Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Death Match > AoC - DM Announcement! Reset, Decay & New Ladders

AoC - DM Announcement! Reset, Decay & New Ladders

Pestilence_

Posted 17 May 2013 - 7:59 am
The only number of importance is not your rating, it's the #1 in a tournament. Being highest on a Voobly ELO ladder doesn't earn you any prizes... ELO is designed to get like-skilled players playing one another, not for an 1800 to dodge other 1800s.
Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Edited 17 May 2013 - 8:01 am by SoliCe
_GoTHiC__ wrote:
the new ladders are ok for me but decay 14days is too short imo. better 2 months.
also speaking in generel voobly seems to enjoy reseting ladders ( AoK ladder got resetet 3-4 times i think - also old DM 1v1 ladder) so i dont see the point fighting for topspot if that ladder might be gone next year.
overall not even 10 persons voted for that reset on [You must login to view link] and i bet alot oldschoolers who will log on next months and realize ratings got restored will be pissed off and log off imidiatly

What?

If rating is reset yearly, so what?

Rating is not an indefinite trophy. People that want to earn a high rating and then be inactive for long periods of time without penalty should go and find a new game, because ladders should be there to reflect the current 'season' of players active and competing. There is no sport in history that has a static ladder that shows the achievements of the old greats along side the current best. There are halls of fames/snap shots of the past. You can and should be able to reference back. But these two should not be merged and confused.

Your point is invalid.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _GoTHiC__

Posted 17 May 2013 - 8:05 am
SoliCe wrote:
What?

People that want to earn a high rating and then be inactive for long periods of time without penalty should go and find a new game,

Your point is invalid.

very user friendly lol.
why dm is dead again ..?

i want to take breaks from time to time so i better play something else hm
Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Edited 17 May 2013 - 8:18 am by SoliCe
_GoTHiC__ wrote:
why dm is dead again ..?

DM has many reasons why it has declined in player numbers, and was doing so long before the ladder reset. As yet, there is no evidence to support that this reset is any less successful than how it was before. Numbers at peak times have actually been higher (based on talking to mods and seeing them with my own eyes).
_GoTHiC__ wrote:
i want to take breaks from time to time so i better play something else hm

If you are taking a break for longer than 14 days, you can't accept a penalty which is really comparable to a loss in 1v1? Sure if you are gone for 1 year, you should kiss goodbye to your rating. People shouldn't have this mentality that they can make multiple "new names" until they are "ready again", meanwhile obscuring who are the current "best".

You do not have the right to your rating, Voobly does, on a free service that they are trying to make better.

I am not here to be your friend, I am here to debate because I think (together with others), that this reset is the best thing for the community as a whole.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _GoTHiC__

Posted 17 May 2013 - 9:37 pm
SoliCe wrote:
If you are taking a break for longer than 14 days, you can't accept a penalty which is really comparable to a loss in 1v1?

if i take a 2 month break i wont accept a lose of 80 pts easy as that.

Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Edited 17 May 2013 - 10:15 pm by SoliCe
_GoTHiC__ wrote:
if i take a 2 month break i wont accept a lose of 80 pts easy as that.

-.-'

Isn't it you who had about 8 names you used to bring to the lobby and sit in a game with, showing off rating?

When will people realise that rating doesn't matter? I never log on and go okay lets get 80 points today. I log and think, "I hope I find a GG". If I win 80 points in the process, great, I earned them, they are mine. If I am no longer active, can I expect to be of the calibre I previously obtained? No, but does that mean the name should be kept at that rating and logged on to so that it can be shown off as if you have some justification of being better than other people?

Because IMO that is the type of attitude you have, and one I would like to see discouraged from DM's ladder.

It is a real shame that some people think like this...
Link | Reply | Quote
 _GoTHiC__

Edited 17 May 2013 - 10:59 pm by _GoTHiC__
lol kd now ur really geting funny.

No i never logged on 8 ids sitting in room (my connection couldnt handle that) - only one doing this i ever saw was honda and stefos.

No i dont come in a room trying to get as much pts as possible - i host my game and wait someone to join.

and No i dont sit in lobby whole day showing off my rate (i hear some ppl do this tho rofl )

np if u make false accuses of me - whatever makes u feel good :)

hf with "your" ladder - like i said before in total Not even 10 ppl voted _yesdoitlikethis_ on the deleted poll in [You must login to view link] ( u even had to register a name to vote there).

community decision lmfao.

Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:14 pm
_GoTHiC__ wrote:
lol kd now ur really geting funny.

No i never logged on 8 ids sitting in room (my connection couldnt handle that) - only one doing this i ever saw was honda and stefos.

No i dont come in a room trying to get as much pts as possible - i host my game and wait someone to join.

and No i dont sit in lobby whole day showing off my rate (i hear some ppl do this tho rofl )

np if u make false accuses of me - whatever makes u feel good :)

hf with "your" ladder - like i said before in total Not even 10 ppl voted _yesdoitlikethis_ on the deleted poll in [You must login to view link] ( u even had to register a name to vote there).

community decision lmfao.

Whatever you reckon...
Link | Reply | Quote
 __n00b_

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:41 pm
You can't please everyone, especially in small fragmented communities.

Easier way to find out who's best though- figure out who has won the most $$ from aoc dm =)
Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Posted 18 May 2013 - 5:43 pm
Well there has never been a big $$ tournament in DM history, so we are talking single figures here.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _GoTHiC__

Edited 19 May 2013 - 6:35 am by _GoTHiC__
lance won 5k so i guess its him.
Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Edited 20 May 2013 - 1:48 pm by SoliCe
_GoTHiC__ wrote:
lance won 5k so i guess its him.

Did he? Must of been through L_Clan. I heard that L_Clan 'bought' many of its players, although how much of that is true I'm not sure.

Lance was, in my mind, arguably the best of all time. I never watched a game from him that I didn't enjoy. It's sad that he plays RM on BF maps now. Lance made a return and won a 2v2 deathmatch tournament in 2012. It would be great if he could return for our tournament this weekend. It's Oasis so might be more up his street. It would be very interesting to see how he would compare against the current top. I am set to stream the final live. If Priest makes an appearance along with Dan, Tempo etc, we could be looking at a very interesting final. But that's best case scenario, players permitting. I expect a fair turnout; the prizes Antu has arranged are good to say the least. Points, membership AND a trophy. One short of $$.

I'd be surprised if anyone fit to win didn't turn up for that!

--- The tournament is scheduled for 26th May. Sign ups at 4:00PM GMT. See VCOM for details. ---
Link | Reply | Quote
 RainbowUniicorn

Posted 21 May 2013 - 3:46 pm
I don't mind that the ratings were reset but i completely disagree with the decay system why should people lose points if they can't play i know it was an idea to keep people active but i think a lot of the 2ks just won't bother playing again because every time they come back from a break they will need to start all over again this is just what i think, but for me i don't care less about the points i would lose for not playing i just play to enjoy this game .
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Malefic_

Posted 26 May 2014 - 7:23 am
and where is the DM lobby now, the rating system has lost many more than it has kept,
Link | Reply | Quote
 _GoTHiC__

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:15 pm
GOOD JOB HOPE ULL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED AS THE GUY WHO KILLED OF DM COMPLETE
;read

Link | Reply | Quote
12345[6]7
Displaying 76 - 90 out of 92 posts