Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Death Match > AoC - DM Announcement! Reset, Decay & New Ladders

AoC - DM Announcement! Reset, Decay & New Ladders

___ZIK___

Edited 9 May 2013 - 10:34 am by ___ZIK___
Agree with Zik. GB is the best solution. Voobly Staff must respect old players and their rateds. New players have to adapt to old rules and rateds, NOT THE OPPOSITE!;glare

Plus I forgot to mention that a lot of the former 2 k players are getting the old cheats out, ive never seen so many syncs as I have since the new rating system. People like Imcoming. Guys post the names of any cheaters u know here, make it the the wall of shame. rofl

Its nice to have the option to "cheat" isnt it coming? how many games did u sync or drop yesterday? fake 2k?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 9 May 2013 - 10:51 am
If I see anymore posts like the one I just deleted. The user will be getting banned. Simple.

King_Arthur, I believe I responded to your issues in the other thread (http://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/142162). In case you didn't see it yet, the main points of the rating decay and what you have been missing are:-
Good wrote:
  • If you had been active at some points in the past 6 months you would have seen lots of announcements and links in the DM lobby pointing users to a poll/vote for the reset/introduction of decay system;
  • The reset was not in response to this thread;
  • The DM community voted collectively in favour of the reset/decay;
  • The changes in DM are comparable to that which happened earlier in the year in RM;
  • MSN Zone didn't support Age of Conquerors as a client for as long as IGZ/Voobly has supported it;

Additionally, primary reasons for the reset were that the ratings were:-
  • Distorted by so many smurf accounts;
  • Distorted by so many inactive accounts;
  • Distorted by players that only play (a) Team Games & (b) 1v1 Games;
  • Top 20 list dominated by only a handful of players (little of them active);
  • Top ratings not representative of the current community;
  • All-in-all, DM ratings highly inaccurate;
  • Players that are truely "worth" their previous ratings, such as 1900+, 2k+, etc, etc will earn it back.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ___ZIK___

Posted 9 May 2013 - 4:06 pm
You must login into Voobly to view image

;stick
Link | Reply | Quote
 BuzZ_Badtrip

Posted 9 May 2013 - 6:44 pm
11. in TGs you already have to play with everyone to even get a game, stop pretending like you guys suddenly have to play with people of unknown skills, like you don't know every single name in the DM lobby...
And for 1v1, it takes like 30 games to see where on the ladder people belong...

A ladder is not accurate with 100 people playing on it anyways, I don't see why people **** about it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 TheHoneyBadger_

Posted 10 May 2013 - 7:06 am
16 players in DM room when I logged on nobody will play vs me. Only Michi players in lobby. Not good...
Link | Reply | Quote
 [UL_King]Arthur

Posted 10 May 2013 - 7:44 am
LTP Good, what happens if these changes doesnt work during the next weeks, months? (less players in DM room and less activity) Is it possible to GB?;drool
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 10 May 2013 - 8:00 am
LTP Good, what happens if these changes doesnt work during the next weeks, months? (less players in DM room and less activity) Is it possible to GB?;drool

If that's the case, then we can consider it. However, there's no evidence of that yet.
Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Edited 10 May 2013 - 9:44 am by SoliCe
Yesterday there were 70+ people in the room, which for a thursday night is a really good turn out. Mike, I'll play you anytime, it's just that late night/morning for us is always a time of low player numbers because of everyone elses time zones.

Arthur, I am MaJoR_Kd, the 'Sonicboom' which made that post about the reset. In my honest opinion this reset is long, long overdue. For higher tier players, the ratings on the previous ladder were so high, mostly (but not all) gained from periods of higher activity, that there is simply no incentive to 'fight for the top'.

I honestly believe that given time this is the best way forward. You talk about earned rating but in my view forget about that, it's something you can get back. What no one lost was their skill and fun for the game and given time all will be restored with a more accurate ladder for 2013 onward.

I always think of Diablo 2 when I think about what a poor state our rated ladder was in. Does anyone remember how that game was before Blizz reset everything? It was mad. Players had everything. Trading for an item meant passing ridiculous wealth over, wealth which by then was the norm. Everyone had everything.

Our ladder was a bit like that. Wealthy with points in a hugely disproportionate way. 2Ks that aren't 2K skill being able to boast those ratings. 2.1K became easier to achieve because more people had a wealth of points they shouldn't have and get easily beaten for them. Those that realise they are easily beaten player pick, which keeps activity low and doesn't stimulate growth. That's why there is a glass ceiling beyond that point which very few can surpass. Priest made a good point that Viper got as high as he did (and deservedly so) because everyone wanted to play him as he made the transition from RM to DM. Sadly, the same cannot be said for everyone else who clings tightly to their rating and kisses it before bed each night...

You talk about fake 2Ks, ZiK. This reset will expose cheats at the top because they'll be easier to see. I actually don't think we have any notorius cheats in high level DM but maybe that's just my view.

Anyway, hopefully this will rid us of this enormously over inflated ladder and restore balance.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pestilence_

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:46 am
Rating is meant to be a guide, not a milestone.
Link | Reply | Quote
 test4321

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:54 am
hi where is the link to the ratings ladder?

thanks
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:17 pm
test4321 wrote:

thanks

DM 1v1 - http://www.voobly.com/ladder/view/Age-of-Empires-II-The-Conquerors/DM1v1

DM Team Game - http://www.voobly.com/ladder/view/Age-of-Empires-II-The-Conquerors/DMTG

DM Overall - http://www.voobly.com/ladder/view/Age-of-Empires-II-The-Conquerors/DM-Overall
Link | Reply | Quote
 TheHoneyBadger_

Posted 10 May 2013 - 3:06 pm
I think it will be a good change long run. The growing pains will be the hard/slow part. Voobly has already made good changes from zone style. i.e Banning and deleteting point traders and drop trickers. Remember on zone top ladder was all point-trade like "Yazgi" lol.. So I think it's going to suck for a while but then when things filter out it will be good again. I feel bad for guys like zubi right now who is 1400 but has 1800++ skill .. We have to keep in mind that we came to voobly for the zone-like set-up but the constant improvements are a good thing! It's hard to welcome change in all aspects of life.
Link | Reply | Quote
 SoliCe

Edited 10 May 2013 - 6:46 pm by SoliCe
I don't get Zubi or Fazi's low rating, both have a lot to offer as new comers to DM, they just haven't managed to bridge that knowledge gap to be more consistent and achieve higher ratings. For example they can have GGs with 1800+ but at the sametime lose to 1600-1700s on the old ladder. Perhaps they are mirroring others too much without learning their own style. They definitely don't deserve 1400 but I've never seen them gloating about rating or taking it too seriously (other than the old zubi vs drago drama lama). I think they are respectful.

Change happens all the time... if you want to say you earned something go and play World of Warcraft and farm items to help you win battles. Being 2K doesn't mean you are better than a 1400. Having the skill and creativity to improve yourself means more than any number can give. A rating is a benchmark, a symbol of your calibre; it isn't something that makes you stronger. That's what people think. I'm high rated therefore I am god - no. I hate that perseption people hold. What makes you known is beating the top, good strategy, great execution and speed. This ladder will fix itself, just allow it time to mature.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 10 May 2013 - 9:40 pm
SoliCe wrote:
Change happens all the time... if you want to say you earned something go and play World of Warcraft and farm items to help you win battles. Being 2K doesn't mean you are better than a 1400. Having the skill and creativity to improve yourself means more than any number can give. A rating is a benchmark, a symbol of your calibre; it isn't something that makes you stronger. That's what people think. I'm high rated therefore I am god - no. I hate that perseption people hold. What makes you known is beating the top, good strategy, great execution and speed. This ladder will fix itself, just allow it time to mature.

Well said Rich, can't fault that.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Wk']AoM92

Edited 11 May 2013 - 12:42 am by [Wk']AoM92
Well even we have those many disagreements at the beginning I am happy to see that number of players did not decrease and today we can also watch a maximum of 90 ppl at the lobby which is awesome as a start. So I hope all the pplayer who were against it now find peace and will go on as before. :)

Come on guys lets hit 100+ and then we can say we have achieved something ;)

Quote:

thanks

Btw u can open it from the lobby if u prefer :)

GL & HF fellow DMers ;)

Link | Reply | Quote
123[4]567
Displaying 46 - 60 out of 92 posts