Default graphics for 1.6

Poll: Do you prefer the old graphics or the new graphics as a default?
New graphics
Old graphics
 +pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Edited 24 October 2022 - 12:13 pm by +pablo@voobly
Hello everyone.
This discussion is around me constantly. When we first created the mod, people asked me to port the new graphics from DE. When we finally did, people started asking to revert back to the old ones. Over the last months I've even had people asking me to port the DE graphics with all the frames the new game has, as we severerly reduce them for performance and size reasons.

So I'm opening this new poll to once and for all have the oppinion of the community. This means one thing:
I won't take the results of the poll as valid unless I have a big turnout.
I want to be sure that I do what the mayority wants so that I can point people to this poll whenever they ask me to put the other option of the graphics as default.

We have two options for the graphics, that we ship with equivalent mods: Setting one or the other as the default version is no problem, programming-wise. Obviously, we'll still maintain the other version of the graphics as the manually installed version.

Please, have a look at both versions of the mod and cast your vote. Also, share this poll with anyone that you know that has used 1.6. My only requirement is that I get a lot of answers.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [N'Fire]Geaf_Argento

Posted 21 October 2022 - 10:14 am
Interesante.
Respecto a las hotkeys que vienen por default, podrían ser defaults como las que vienen con el aoc clásico? ( aldeano con C por ej)
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 21 October 2022 - 10:27 am
Quote:
Respecto a las hotkeys que vienen por default, podrían ser defaults como las que vienen con el aoc clásico? ( aldeano con C por ej)
También irrelevante y no importa cambiarlo. Ni siquiera tengo claro cuáles puse y por qué.
Carga el fichero que viene con el mod (el que tiene todas las teclas nuevas desactivadas), configúralo a las del AOC y mándamelo.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Corax

Posted 21 October 2022 - 4:23 pm
Are there significant performace differences occurring by the new graphics?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Antu

Posted 21 October 2022 - 10:33 pm
I mean this is 20 years old game. I am up for a change but lets keep old graphs as default, people who want new graphics can install it manually.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 21 October 2022 - 11:35 pm
_Corax wrote:
Are there significant performace differences occurring by the new graphics?
None
Link | Reply | Quote
 fpracing1

Posted 22 October 2022 - 2:15 am
Creí que era para elegir entre los gráficos por defecto del mod 1.6 y estos otros https://www.voobly.com/gamemods/mod/1652/Definitive-Edition-Units que siento más parecido a los del Definitive Edition. Igualmente, ya vote entre las opciones de aquí =)
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[MM]jason

Posted 22 October 2022 - 8:28 am
I think the new graphics take away the charm.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Bitt_

Posted 22 October 2022 - 8:52 pm
A mi me gustan los nuevos graficos, sin enbargo con el objetivo que se sumen mas jugadores creo que por defecto en las unidades deberian venir los graficos viejos y en la arquitectura los graficos nuevos, y que esta sea la unica version del mod. De esta forma el cambio no sera tan grande para los nuevos jugadores. El mod DE Units slp se deberia agregar entre los mod recomendados en la pagina del Game Data.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 22 October 2022 - 8:57 pm
You can still switch between the new DE graphics / original AOC graphics.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Sickle

Posted 22 October 2022 - 11:36 pm
Great that the old graphics are possible! thanks for that! This also seems to fix issue where I didn't have grid!

Some other issues that might be in the way of general adoption:
- on updates it always seem to redownload whole mod, this makes it very slow for people on old pc and 3rd world internet so they click it away and play old version, can voobly installer be changed so it only downloads changed files on upload? (would also save server costs)
- there are updates very often which is nice, but also every time you lose hotkeys and maps etc. and then people start game and someone doesn't have hotkeys and they quit immediately and the whole thing falls apart and everyone leaves. best would be if it would take hotkeys from normal game? or at least don't overwrite hotkeys on each update.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 22 October 2022 - 11:51 pm
Quote:
there are updates very often which is nice, but also every time you lose hotkeys and maps etc. and then people start game and someone doesn't have hotkeys and they quit immediately and the whole thing falls apart and everyone leaves. best would be if it would take hotkeys from normal game? or at least don't overwrite hotkeys on each update.
Please, just watch the video on how to configure them!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Sickle

Edited 23 October 2022 - 12:23 pm by Sickle
I've set them up (just copied my normal hotkey files, i guess i miss out on some new hotkeys this way but it's a lot faster). The problem is other people.
The problem is I play team games, and it's hard to find 8 people to play this, a lot of people join but are still downloading the mod and leave again. And then after like 40 minutes waiting I finally got 8, I tell people this is 1.6 and they should leave if they don't like it, maybe one or two leave, we wait another 10 minutes until we have 8 again (this can repeat), then I tell people to make sure to have copied the hotkeys because otherwise their hotkeys don't work, no one responds (this is also in the game room description to extra emphasise the point). Then game launches and some people realise it's 1.6 and 1 or 2 leave, we gb to voobly to get 8 players again. When we get 8, I tell people this is 1.6 and they should leave if they don't like it, and that they should be sure to copy hotkeys (etc. etc. etc.). When the game finally launches, one or two people realise their hotkeys don't work and resign. If lucky we can finish 3v3 or 2v2 but normally we have to save and exit cause teams uneven.

And then I just join a DE balance game because at least that works. :( (or maybe this happens at an earlier stage)

Look I know it's stupid and ungrateful after all your efforts to create this wonderful mod, but I'm just telling you how it is and what factors I think cause the mod to not be used and if you fix them maybe more people will play it. Dunno if it's language issue or general stupidity, but this is how it goes.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 23 October 2022 - 12:17 pm
Quote:
I've set them up (just copied my normal hotkey files, i guess i miss out on some new hotkeys this way but it's a lot faster)
That's not what you are supposed to do. Have you seen the video?

How can we fix the hotkeys more when the configuration we currently have ensures that the user doesn't get his hotkeys replaced?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Sickle

Edited 23 October 2022 - 12:26 pm by Sickle
Yeah saw the video, but copying hotkeys might be worse because you miss new hotkeys, but it's a lot faster and easier to explain, so more likely that people will do it.

And I feel you're avoiding the issue here. My hotkeys are not the problem anymore (even if i might miss out on some new hotkeys), I'm trying to explain why it's almost impossible to start a 1.6 team game.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]23
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 32 posts