Live Streaming Guide
Voobly now offers support to stream your games live. Live streaming often allows for exciting commentary and the opportunity to discuss and learn new strategies. By offering live streaming, Voobly hopes to connect gamers around the world by allowing them to broadcast, watch, and chat while playing online.
When your personal stream is set up and activated, it will appear under the live stream tab (only present when streaming), found directly on your website profile. This broadcast allows other Voobly members to watch your game play live as it is happening. When in a game lounge, any game rooms with live streams available will be denoted with a red ((*)) icon. You will just have to go to the player's profile who is streaming in that game to watch. For your convenience, there is also a complete list of all games being streamed on Voobly that can be found under the live stream tab on our homepage.
Streaming on Voobly is achieved by using a screen capturing program (such as FFSplit or Xsplit) to stream your game through a service (Voobly only supports Twitch.tv), which will broadcast the stream directly on your Voobly profile. In other words, FFSplit/Xsplit is a program used to take a live video of everything happening on your computer screen, while Twitch.tv is a website that displays that video stream, which will directly broadcast the stream on your Voobly profile after linking your Voobly account with your Twich tv account. Although this may sound complicated, it is very easy to set up using the steps found below.
To begin streaming you will need to create a Twitch Tv account, link your Twitch TV account to your Voobly account, download and setup a streaming program, and correctly configure your game room settings. This is much easier than it sounds if you follow the easy steps below.
Setup a Twitch TV Account
- Go to twitch tv help and follow the guide to set up a Twitch tv account
Link Twitch TV to Voobly
Once you have your Twitch tv account set up, you will need to link it to your Voobly profile. Follow the 3 steps below to do so.
- Step 1: Open the Voobly homepage and click Settings in the menu header. (see image below)
- Step 2: On your Settings page select the Information tab.
- Step 3: Enter your Twitch username in the "TwitchTV Username" area.(see image below)
Set up your stream
After setting up a Twitch tv account and linking it to your Voobly profile, you will need to set up your stream. The stream set up requires the use a streaming program that you will have to download. Voobly recommends using either FFsplit or Xsplit. Guides for both method are provided below. You can decide which method you prefer, but it doesn't matter which one you chose as they both work with Voobly.
If you would like to use FFsplit as your streaming program, you will need to download and install it. After doing, you will need to follow the 8 steps below to set up your stream using FFSplit.
- Step 1: In the "DirectShow Video Source" area select FFsplit Overlay 2.0b5.
- Step 2: In the "DirectShow Audio Source" area select Default Windows Playback Device.
- Step 3: In the "Video Bit Rate" area enter the value best for your computer, for average computers it is recommended to start at 500-750.(the larger your resolution the higher Bit rate required)
- Step 4: The "Video Encode Preset" ranges from Medium to Ultrafast, Use Medium if you have Average Internet Speed and Ultrafast if you have very fast Internet Speed.
- Step 5: For the "Video Frame Rate" it is recommended from 20-30 depending on your Internet Connection Speed.
- Step 6: Check the box beside "Stream".
- Step 7: Click on "Setup".
- Step 8: In the Stream Setup box you will setup the information for your Twitch Account.
a. In the "Streaming Service" tab select Twitch/Justin.tv.
b. Enter your Twitch Stream Key in the "Stream Key" box.
c. Enter your Twitch Username in the "Username" box and click Apply.
*Note*: To find your Twitch Stream Key.
Step 1: Login to your Twitch account and on your Broadcaster Dashboard click on the "Activity" tab.
Step 2: On the Activity page click on "Streaming Apps".
Step 3: Click the "Show Key" button and copy your key.(see imagines below)
If you already downloaded and set up FFSplit, you will not need Xsplit. If you chose not to use FFSplit and prefer to use XSplit, you will need to download XSplit and create an account on their website. Follow the 5 steps below.
- Step 1: Goto the Xsplit website and register an account and download Xsplit.
- Step 2: Run the Xsplit program, you will be required to enter your email and password that you used to register on the Xsplit website.
- Step 3: Now your ready to setup your stream in Xsplit. Click on Tools > General Settings > Channels > Add > Justin/twitch.tv. In the settings pop up box you will need to enter your Twitch.Tv account information. You can use either your Twitch.tv password or the Twitch Stream Key(see how to find the Key Above in the FFsplit Notes). When you have your settings entered use the "Test Bandwidth" button to help you choose the best settings for your connection.
- Step 4: Now you need to select the screen region that you want to stream. It is best to change your desktop resolution to match the size of your game resolution. Then click the "Add" button at the bottom left corner of Xsplit and select "Add Screen Region" and click in the middle of your screen.
- Step 5: Now you are ready to broadcast your stream, on the top toolbar of Xsplit click on "Broadcast" and select "Justin.tv/Twitch"
Configure Voobly game room settings
Before streaming and launching your game, you will need to confiure your game room settings to complete the set up process for streaming. Follow the two steps below to set up game room settings.
- Step 1: Click on the "Game" button at the top of your Game room.
- Step 2: Select Directx and check "Render in 32 bit color", "Start in Window-Mode (Requires 32-bit)" and in Advanced Features check "Hide windows title bar and move window to 0px,0px" and your ready.
Extra help (optional)
If you are still having trouble getting your live stream to work, take a look at some additional help content:
- Introduction for Voobly's streaming support
- Streaming AoC using FFSplit
- Streaming AoC using Xplit
- How to fix streaming quality
Minimum 3 Ghz quad-core CPU. (Intel Core 2 Quad, i5/i7 1st and 2nd generation, AMD Phenom II 955+/1055+, Bulldozer)
Windows Vista, 7 or 8
VC++ Runtime 2010 (x86)
.NET Framework 4.0
Make sure both VC++ and .Net Framework are installed before running FFsplit.
The minimum requirements are:
Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
.NET Framework 3.5
Adobe Flash Player for Windows Internet Explorer
Graphics Acceleration must be enabled.
The purpose of stream rankings is two fold:
- Make it clear who the top streamers are to allow Voobly users easy access to the best games
- Voobly will be announcing competitions in which premium memberships will be offered as prizes to the top streamers
The intent of the live streaming feature is for the purpose streaming games being played on Voobly only. Please activate your stream for these types of cases only. Voobly explicitly prohibits the use of live streaming for the purpose of advertising or displaying adult content. All material listed under our Terms of Service that you agreed to upon creating an account at Voobly, applies to live streaming. Voobly reserves the right to disable any stream at any time as they feel necessary. Continued abuse with streaming may result in even further action.
If you have something you think would be beneficial for the community to stream that doesn't meet this criteria, please get permission from the moderation staff.
Last updated on 26 December 2012 - 6:57 pm by
2 User(s) are reading this document (in the past 30 minutes)
0 members, 2 guests
0 members, 2 guests
What's popular right now:
[KoT]PleaseBeGentle_ in BF TG (50 users)
CHESS! looby... (19 users)
[TyRanT]TheViper's Profile (15 users)
__DeMoN_RoX__'s Profile (14 users)
Voobly's new game mod center is ... (10 users)
ViralCTM's Profile (10 users)
How to change AoE language to En... (7 users)
Locked's Complete Guide to "... (4 users)
Voobly Map Pack (Updates/changes) (4 users)
Any old Zone players around? (4 users)
Most active threads in past week:
Unrate the blood ladder! v2 (103 posts)
Unrate the blood ladder! (54 posts)
Lamer Watch (36 posts)
Decay on CBA,CBA Hero/CB ladder (21 posts)
Chat idea (20 posts)
• AFK Host: Bottom Ladder (17 posts)
Voobly simultaneous In-lobby Loa... (14 posts)
How much do you love Dan? (14 posts)
Word Association (14 posts)