Problem with game location+compatibility patch not working

SavedGame

Posted 23 December 2016 - 3:35 am
Hello,

I have the steam version of the game with no expansions. My installation directory is
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age2HD\"
and I've installed the compatibility patch in that location, there is a new exe "age2_x2.exe" along with the original "age2_x1.exe"

Now my installation is on a separate D drive because my primary drive is an SSD and there is not much space there for a steam installation. The voobly client fails to detect the compatibility patch and diagnostics direct me to install the patch.

The steam version fails so I was wondering to try out a non steam version(DirectPlay).
Here is a voobly client log:

12:03:19 CDPLauncher::Init -
12:03:19 Checking if DirectPlay is installed...
12:03:19 registryPath = @%SystemRoot%\system32\dpwsockx.dll,-3000
12:03:19 Looking for = %SystemRoot%\system32\dpwsockx.dll
12:03:19 Looking for = C:\Windows\system32\dpwsockx.dll [fixed], exists = 1, size = 44544
12:03:19 Looking for = %SystemRoot%\system32\dpwsockx.dll
12:03:19 Looking for = C:\Windows\system32\dpwsockx.dll [fixed], exists = 1, size = 44544
12:03:19 CDPLauncher::Init - InitDirectPlay()
12:03:19 CDPLauncher::Init - EnumLocalApplications() //HERE SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM
12:03:19 Application not found
12:03:19 EXIT: CLobby::NetworkEvent

Now, from what i gather, I need to specify the location of my non-steam version.

My question is,
1.How do i change the voobly configuration for it to detect the non-steam version of the game?
2.Since most solutions require the steam version to be installed on the primary hard disk (C:) and its not a feasible solution is there any other way I can make voobly work with the steam version.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 23 December 2016 - 4:21 pm
hi
click to open a lobby and you should see this screen
[You must login to view link]
click choose other application and find the exe. see if that helps
Link | Reply | Quote
 SavedGame

Posted 23 December 2016 - 5:33 pm
Hello,
I was searching for that dialog myself but on clicking any game on the lobby, same diagnostic failure was occuring.

Anyways, I found the problem, the patch was installed in the steam directory, However my game is installed in a separate folder (not in Program Files(x86)), so I deleted the AOE2HD folder and restarted the diagnostic, then installed the patch in the correct folder, and voila! It started.

So for any future googlers/vooblers having
1.Separate installation of steam other than the primary drive
2.The steam games directory located at different folder than in the Program Files / steam one

Make sure you install the patch in your game directory as the patch incorrectly installs itself in the steam folder

Peace
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 23 December 2016 - 6:24 pm
hi
thanks for that.
Link | Reply | Quote
 SavedGame

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:19 am
No problem :)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]