Community Forums > Technical Support > Streaming Support > Need a bit of help with streaming

Need a bit of help with streaming

_MiCh

Group: Streamer
Posted 6 December 2017 - 9:28 pm
I think I've set up OBS correctly, but I can only stream when I spectate. Not when I play. When I stream when I'm playing, when the game launches, i see all with red comet and I they complain that I'm lagging. I have to close the stream, then it's ok.

I don't have my ports forwarded..yet.

Let me know what information you need.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +_Blackmore

Group: Game Moderator
Posted 7 December 2017 - 5:59 am
Hi Mich, probably the stream is consuming all your upload speed and that's why you lag the game. What's your upload speed ([You must login to view link]) and the video bitrate you have configured in obs?

For what I saw a few hours ago you were streaming at 480p so the requirement should be quite low.

Would be good to answer this too: http://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/254291
Link | Reply | Quote
 +Nyaa

Edited 7 December 2017 - 6:17 am by +Nyaa
OBS is a pretty heavy duty work for a streaming software.

If you will, could you please post your system specifications? (Your computer's hardware components).
In case that you are unaware of how to find such information, please follow below:

1. Click on Start
2. In the search field, type "system information"
3. Click on the icon
4. Write down the following:
  • In System Summary: OS Name, Processor, Installed Physical Memory (RAM), Total Physical Memory, Available Physical Memory.
  • In Components > Display: Name, Adapter RAM

It could also help determine whether if it's an hardware issue or not if you could post a screenshot of your Task Manager. Please do the following:

1. Start a single player game via Voobly
2. During the game, please open OBS and start streaming the game
3. Open your Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
4. Make a screenshot of your Task Manager
5. Crop out everything from the screenshot except the most bottom information (CPU Usage and Physical Memory)

Although I'm pretty sure your internet connection speed should not have a problem, you could post it also for extra information, just in case.

If you forgot your contracted connection speed, you could also simply use [You must login to view link] and post your results. Just write down what the screen will say (Download: xx Mbps / Upload: xx Mbps).

I'm pretty sure it's not a router problem. But if anyone could solve it through router solutions, it's certainly not me :P

EDIT:
The reason why I highly suspect the hardware is because your screen was stuttering when you streamed. Stuttering is usually caused by hardware. If it would be a connection problem, the screen would usually jump with bigger gaps between frames.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _MiCh

Edited 7 December 2017 - 6:57 pm by _MiCh
I sent this to Genette back in September. Guess he's really busy with real life stuff.

Specs (new computer btw):
Attachments:
task manager.png (file size: 54.84 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +_Blackmore

Edited 7 December 2017 - 7:06 pm by +_Blackmore
Ok, so you have like 2.2mb of upload speed, what's the video bitrate you have configured in obs? make sure is set below your upload speed, lets say 1500kbps max.

Edit: BTW, with that pc you have enough to stream full hd without problems, so that is not the problem ;good
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[email protected]

Group: VTech Lead
Posted 7 December 2017 - 7:31 pm
Your upload speed is the only bottleneck here. It is just enough for you to be comfortably playing 4v4 games but not enough to stream. At this speed you will see performance issues even on 360p streaming. If possible get it up to 5 MBPS. That should suffice for streaming at 720p while you are playing.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +_Blackmore

Posted 7 December 2017 - 8:44 pm
I think that speed should be fine with 480p, I stream [email protected] at 3500kbps and 2000kbps for 30fps, obiously she can't use 2000kbps as it will consume all the bandwith, but less (like 1500kbps) should be ok for 480p imo.

Also streaming at high bitrate will cause low connection users to struggle watching the stream. I have 10mb upload speed but when tested high bitrates (like 5000kbps) some users had problems.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _MiCh

Edited 7 December 2017 - 10:12 pm by _MiCh
+_Blackmore wrote:
Ok, so you have like 2.2mb of upload speed, what's the video bitrate you have configured in obs? make sure is set below your upload speed, lets say 1500kbps max.

Edit: BTW, with that pc you have enough to stream full hd without problems, so that is not the problem ;good

Should the video be set at 60 instead of 30 for common values? And yes, buying HD on steam is on the to-do list. Just haven't gotten around to it yet lol If my net needs the upgrade, guess I'll be talking to my brother about upgrading and paying the bill ;lol
Your upload speed is the only bottleneck here. It is just enough for you to be comfortably playing 4v4 games but not enough to stream. At this speed you will see performance issues even on 360p streaming. If possible get it up to 5 MBPS. That should suffice for streaming at 720p while you are playing.

Thanks for the tip. I'll include this when I call my ISP lol How can I get it there otherwise? While running Teamspeak & Skype as well? Not sure if this has anything to do with it, just mentioning in case.
Attachments:
OBS output.png (file size: 46.85 KB)
OBS video.png (file size: 31.16 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +_Blackmore

Posted 7 December 2017 - 11:10 pm
Your settings doesn't seem bad, if you're lagging games you should lower your bitrate though, test with 1000kbps.

If with 60 and 30 you mean fps the answer is no, you can't handle 60fps with that upload speed, even you can try to go lower than 30 to test if you can free some bandwith (24fps could be an option).

And yes, if you are able to increase your upload speed (buy more) that would be the best for a decent stream.

Skype consumes more than ts if this help you.

And when I was taling about streaming in hd I meant the resolution, 1080p, not steam. I meant that your pc has hardware enough to do that (of course not your upload speed lol).
Link | Reply | Quote
 +Nyaa

Posted 8 December 2017 - 2:25 am
This is the reason why I'm not a Tech Support. I was so wrong :P.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _MiCh

Posted 8 December 2017 - 2:25 am
I'll try lowering the bitrate and closing Skype.

My brother told me I guess we have the highest they offer, but all their internet seems to be the same ;lol (highest is 100mbps is what we have). Any other suggestions?

And yea, I meant I'm going to buy HD from Steam lol
Link | Reply | Quote
 _MiCh

Edited 8 December 2017 - 2:57 am by _MiCh
Tried 1000kbps and it seems to be working better. I don't have complaints of lag anymore.. well, yet lol

PS Have I told you I love you lately?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +Nyaa

Posted 8 December 2017 - 2:51 am
One thing that I noticed though, is your connection speed compared to what you have contracted.

To my experience, this is caused by a few things:

1. Your computer's network adapter is outdated, which I highly doubt because it is new as you stated, unless you used this part from your old computer.
2. Outdated LAN cable. Yes, old LAN cables actually slows down your connection speed.
3. Outdated Router. Old routers have the possibility to not being capable to handle 100Mbps, both wired and wireless (usually wireless is the most common cause).
4. Outdated Modem. Which I highly doubt, unless your internet provider is a shady company who offers you 100Mbps but don't supply 100Mbps modems.
5. Your connection is shared by multiple users in the neighbourhood. This is not uncommon, but it affects your connection speed totally. Although you have your own IP Address, the connection speed is shared among users with the same contract in a particular neighbourhood. The more users are using the internet, the slower the connection becomes. This is most noticeable when your connection speed changes during different times of the day/week.

A quick search on the web also suggests that Windows 10 is slowing down internet connection speed due to it having softwares running that are hogging up bandwidth.

I'm uncertain here which tutorial will help or is good. A lot of tutorials don't suggest the same solution. A couple of examples are:
[You must login to view link]
[You must login to view link]

If you are afraid of doing something wrong or think that certain steps might break the security, please don't proceed. I haven't checked the tutorials thoroughly to determine whether they are safe or not. If you are uncertain, it might be the best to wait for a Techie :P.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +_Blackmore

Posted 8 December 2017 - 3:05 am
+Nyaa wrote:
This is the reason why I'm not a Tech Support. I was so wrong :P.
Just some experience with my own stream :P Also the red comet icon (or ball, could be yellow too) means bad ping, the turtle is for pc lag or so.
_MiCh wrote:
My brother told me I guess we have the highest they offer, but all their internet seems to be the same ;lol (highest is 100mbps is what we have). Any other suggestions?l
100mb is the download speed, they always advertise that one, as generally is the higher number. But what really matters for stream (as for uploading files) is the upload speed, that generally is lower than the upload speed. From what you say probably your internet is 100mb/2mb (ul/dl), maybe they have a service with more upload.

Here the 2 biggest isp have up to 300/10 and 200/200 for home clients lol.
_MiCh wrote:
Tried 1000kbps and it seems to be working better. I don't have complaints of lag anymore.. well, yet lol

PS Have I told you I love you lately?
Well, it's something, hope it goes well ;flowers
Link | Reply | Quote
 +_Blackmore

Posted 8 December 2017 - 3:51 am
@Nyaa you are right, the screenshoots showed a bit more than 20mb when she said that she should have 100mb. Problems may be many, but it's unlikely to be nic, cable or router problem, that probably will just show just 90mb+

@Mich are you using wifi or cable?

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 24 posts