Cannot login (v2.2.5.71)

PaladinPrenex

Posted 23 January 2022 - 3:03 pm
I duplicate my post here from this points as I think I choose wrong topic:

https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/342936

Hi!

I try to enter voobly and it says connection to server is lost. Also says wrong username or password.
My password and username is right I entered them successfully some minutes ago into version .70 but
it downloaded an update and now I cannot login.

I deleted everything, created a new prefix(*) and installed voobly .70 again and the same happens. that
is first the name/pass is accepted, an update-download comes, after that login always fails.

I again deleted everything and created a new prefix(*) and now downloaded voobly-v2.2.5.71.exe
installer from the website and now again it does not accept my username/pass.

I am sure the user / pass is good (that is how I came here too and I know it well) and from the above
you can see clearly that the latest update ruined something in the login process.

I think this might be related to this post:
https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/342911

(*) PS.: I run the game on arch linux 64bit, use a 32 bit wine prefix and was working well previously. In the
last updates there was a time when the login screen sometimes would not come up, but otherwise it
was working (Whenever that happened I just reinstalled voobly in a new (32 bit) wine prefix.
Attachments:
voobly_error.png (file size: 7.69 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 23 January 2022 - 8:19 pm
Does it work when you log onto the Voobly web site and try to enter a lobby from there?
Link | Reply | Quote
 PaladinPrenex

Edited 24 January 2022 - 8:42 pm by +chris@voobly
I tried now - see attachments. Did not even know there is this functionality but I think this never worked on linux before anyways ever.

As you can see, clicking the button tries to make the web browser open something. I opens that with an other browser window for me - which makes sense because despite voobly is installed - it is not installed on my "system" but installed in a wine prefix and of course the web browser has no idea about that installation below a wine prefix.

So it is expected that this way would not work on linux. What I did is that I did login here with the good password and earlier version also accepts password just like the website here so this is some kind of regression bug.

Is there any kind of logging or something that can be turned on to see what is going on? I tried both with winetricks installed directplay and without and both cases make login impossible but are there some kind of logging or some version with debug logs to see where it gets stuck? :-(
Attachments:
vooblobby_1.png (file size: 99.08 KB)
vooblobby_3.png (file size: 16.56 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 January 2022 - 8:43 pm
You must install a browser in your wine container or wine instance. Then it should detect Voobly and should also be able to handle the protocol voobly://
Link | Reply | Quote
 PaladinPrenex

Posted 2 February 2022 - 5:32 pm
Will try that... girlfriending now for the upcoming months as we finally can see each again after virus :-)
Link | Reply | Quote
 PaladinPrenex

Posted 5 May 2022 - 3:18 pm
Works now with latest. Just documenting my setup in case it does not work for someone else as might help them.

TL;DR Basically totally playable - can be closed unless similar issue comes up again ;-)

I don't know if my setup counts so I write it down:
- I use 2.3.3.0 (latest, for win10/11 installer)
- 32 bit wineprefix as usual (WINEESYNC=1 WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32_nu2" WINEARCH=win32 wine voobly.exe)
- Also used the above parameters for the installation
- Already before install did winetricks to install directplay (nothing else I changed to this wine prefix as its new)
- In winecfg I have Windows10 chosen as the compatibility mode

^^Some of the above steps are likely not needed, some of the order might be changed and still good, but best to copy if does not work for you so I presented my exact steps here.

ISSUES / WORKAROUNDS:
- When I play AOE I can have CTD when voobly client sends me messages via its popups. This can be turned off in normal voobly config so I will just do that and its fine.
- On my nvidia driver (which I use most of the time when not on battery) I need to have the old, standard resolution, but its fine. Does not crash with amd for me (nvidia driver quality as usual...). I am fine with playing the lower resolutions anyways.

SYSTEM:
SYS: Latest Arch linux, with latest wine 7.6-1
CPU: 64 bit Amd CPU (with integrated Amd graphics as secondary GPU)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 6 out of 6 posts