IP address And Ports ,Voobly Please upgrade

Bajarangbali

Edited 15 March 2021 - 6:45 pm by Bajarangbali
Voobly is very good platform to play RTS games but the only issue is it requires Dynamic Public IP or static IP so that we can forward the UDP port 16000 or any other which we want. But due to heavy internet users and rapidly increasing demand of internet ISPs now do NATing so the IP address which we get nowadays is masked and is not same as the public IP that is WAN IP. And ISPs ask for extra payments for static IPs which does not seem a wise decision for many users so users simply quit voobly. IF POSSIBLE VOOBLY SUPPORT PLEASE DO SOMETHING SO THAT VOOBLY SERVERS MAY ALLOW IPs OF ALL Range and We can simply play like on other gaming platforms hassle free without this IP requirements for port forwarding..
Many people have this issue ... and in modern times Voobly should become upgraded for all internets.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +arslan

Posted 16 March 2021 - 3:17 pm
Hi,

I think you are confusing Public IP(assigned by your ISP) with your Local IP(assigned by your Router/modem). Public IPs are indeed dynamic and you need to pay extra for Static IP service. But the Port forwarding is for your Local IP, so local IP needs to be static only(which is free) and can easily be configured on your PC.

[You must login to view link]

Once you have configured a Static IP address for your PC, next step is to forward Port |UDP 16000| or any other port you like, against that static IP address.

If you choose a different port than UDP 16000 make sure to change port in Voobly settings as well and match the ports.

Link | Reply | Quote
 Bajarangbali

Edited 17 March 2021 - 6:53 am by Bajarangbali
Bro I know what you are talking. Dynamic public IP is same as WAN IP but nowadays due to shortage of IP addresses(IPV4) ISP are doing Network Address Translation (NAT) example you will understand 100 % from the 2 attachments..

Attachment one is the WAN IP and attachment 2 is the dynamic public IP but in my scenario they are not same, when I port forward locally in my router, even the port gets forwarded but still I due to different IPs it can't communicate to the destined port, this the major scenario, there was no issue before 2018 as the ISP would give dynamic Public IP. I hope you get it. To get a more clear vision visit this [You must login to view link]
You will understand what is NAT by ISP
Attachments:
IMG_20210317_104629.jpg (file size: 170.44 KB)

Link | Reply | Quote
 +arslan

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:44 am
If your ISP is assigning you a WAN IP, then you can contact them to forward port for you UDP 16000. There is nothing at Voobly end can be done. Unless your ISP decides to switch to IPv6, it will employ such tactics to counter shortage of IPv4 addresses.

Link | Reply | Quote
 Bajarangbali

Posted 18 March 2021 - 4:25 am
Now you got it, I already spoke with the ISP and IPv6 will require much more time was their message, so they asked me to use static IP at annual cost, All ports are open from their side when I conveyed my problem, it's just cannot access the ports due to NATing. When I purchased static IP problem was solved but it's costly and not affordable so I opted out. IPV6 will require few years to get deployed here.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:36 am
We cannot deploy IPv6 on Voobly, because the applications / games rely on IPv4. DPlay was not designed for IPv6, as it's ancient.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 6 out of 6 posts