Community Forums > Voobly Support and Game Complaints Support > Game related Problems and Questions > Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and

Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and

EternalRookie

Edited 25 June 2020 - 1:01 am by EternalRookie
I am getting the error "Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics" everytime voobly is launched.

Game diagnostic result below:
Code:
Looking for dpwsockx.dll... Looking for dplayx.dll... 'c:\windows\system32\dplayx.dll' size: 215552 bytes DirectPlay Init Success! Scanning installed DirectPlay games... Age of Empires II Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion [found] Game was found in DirectPlay registry! DirectPlay play thinks the game is installed at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II' DirectPlay command line is 'lobby' DirectPlay play thinks the game exe is at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Age2_X1\age2_x1.exe' Verifying file exists... Success! DirectPlay play thinks the language dll is at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language_x1.dll' Verifying file exists... Success! Scanning 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly\gamedata\AOC\age2_x1.exe' Success! Everything looks fine. DirectPlay is configured and the game was found on your harddrive. If you still have problems try rejoining the lobby or restarting your computer.

So, what is the problem? I close the popup and have no problem playing the game. It is just annoying to see this pop up error.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Troy

Posted 25 June 2020 - 5:45 am
Hello.

Just do a clean reinstall of the game and you should be fine.
[You must login to view link]

Regards. ;1hat
Link | Reply | Quote
 EternalRookie

Posted 25 June 2020 - 4:19 pm
I already did and it did not resolve the problem.
Link | Reply | Quote
 luchoman

Posted 17 July 2020 - 4:50 pm
hola pudiste resolver este problema? .. yo tengo el mismo problema y no se que hacer
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 19 December 2021 - 1:40 am
I get the same error. I uninstalled voobly and AOC and deleted the microsoft games folder and reinstalled. I still get it. This worked fine a year ago. game disgnostics says everything is fine.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 19 December 2021 - 4:32 pm
It usually happens, when you have both installed, AOC and AoE II HD. Could you please double check?
Link | Reply | Quote
 fotakos

Posted 20 December 2021 - 2:40 am
Same problem here
I got a new comp os win10 and i get the same message plus i cannot play the game anymore
I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game many times. Followed every step for clean installation.
Diagnostics find no problem but "Could not find game installation directory -- please join a lobby and run game diagnostics" error keeps coming back.
I am able to play the game on my comp but not online
So sad to stop playing the game after many thousands of games with a few accounts :( :(
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 20 December 2021 - 3:24 am
I only have AOC. I don't have steam - well I have steam but I never tried to install any AOE related products using steam as I have the CDs. Isn't aoe II HD a steam product? I'll go look it up. I did install both AOE 2 and AOC as I didn't have a choice (wouldn't install conquerors until I did the first CD).
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 20 December 2021 - 5:13 pm
Is it possible, that you also have Avast installed?
https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/342096/:1425876#post1425876
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 2:32 am
No avast. I have never installed antivirus software.

It would be nice to know exactly what the privileges should be set to on these folders (assuming that is even the problem - the "game diagnostics" has no problem finding the right folder.

I did worry about antivirus or some kind of crazy microsoft protection so I did try to turn off firewalls and such. I think it's all off but I'm not much into windows anymore. It's windows 11 and it auto upgrades occasionally and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned some security feature back on but I don't think so.

It would be nice if the error message was more descriptive - there is almost certainly almost 2 things the code is doing and either thing can generate this error message (or 8 things) and it would be nice to know exactly what those things are that it is trying to do so I can try to duplicate those steps and get more hints. Maybe it gets an error when copying a specific file to a specific location? I tried giving the folders write access to all users in case it was some permission thing.

Do you know the programmer who wrote the code that gets this error and can we talk to that person? Maybe look at those lines of code please?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ FN ]king_george_fn

Posted 23 December 2021 - 3:22 am
Nevermind - see the other thread! We are getting close!

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 11 out of 11 posts