Force desktop resolution crashes the game in AOK

[ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 17 June 2020 - 5:15 am
Hi

I have low resolution available to use in aok with black bars on both sides. If i force desktop resolution, the moment game starts, i get a zoomed in picture with no command bar visible and game crashes within a second. Anyone can help me fix this please? (or test if it works for you?)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 21 June 2020 - 4:03 pm
Bumping with more info

room settings:
[You must login to view link]

What game looks like(used start at single player):
(black bars on side with no high res available)

If i enable force desktop resolution which is 1080p, game instantly exits with no error message
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 28 June 2020 - 1:28 pm
More info.

Its voobly's problem because it doesnt even know that I have 1080p res.
As you can see it, it says:
Quote:
<Age of Empires II: Age of Kings doesn't optimally support your current 1536x864 display resolution. To use your desktop resolution in game click "Game" -> "Resolution Tool" -> "Force Desktop Resolution In Game". This feature is completely optional -- if you do not enable it the game will use either 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024. For more information read this>

Which it not true, I was able to force desktop resolution by enabling exactly these settings:
Force resolution
Run in windows sp2 compatibility mode
32 bit
windowed mode
disable dpi scaling

Then it ran with force desktop resolution but gameplay was in windowed mode and it still wasnt 1080p because voobly is failing to detect my correct resolution in aok, aoc is fine tho. If i disable windowed mode, other people cant play with me and they get version error.

I tried this, doesnt work: [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 19 November 2020 - 2:50 pm
still not solved
Link | Reply | Quote
 +arslan

Posted 20 November 2020 - 3:38 am
I tried with 1600x900 Res test in AOK Voobly Lobby (Force Desktop Resolution: ON) and it worked fine.

Make sure you have updated Drivers for your Graphics Card (Intel/Nvidia/AMD) and Updated Windows 10 (20H2 - 19042.630) , also try to lower your desktop resolution to something 1024x768 and then test the game.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 20 November 2020 - 9:57 am
Why 1600x900? Is this your monitor resolution? What is even this thing 900p?

Everything is updated, and anyway why would a 21 years old game need updated drivers? ;? If I lower my resolution to low number, then there is no point of force desktop resolution. I want 1080p resolution in game, which works fine in aoc.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +arslan

Posted 20 November 2020 - 3:29 pm
1600x900 is Max Res for my Monitor.

Updated drivers are needed for Voobly to detect accurately your Max-Min res supported by your VGA.

When in AOK Lobby use Menu > Options > Game Diagnostic > Fix

Paste the Result here inside
Code:
Insert here
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:49 am
+arslan wrote:
1600x900 is Max Res for my Monitor.

Updated drivers are needed for Voobly to detect accurately your Max-Min res supported by your VGA.

When in AOK Lobby use Menu > Options > Game Diagnostic > Fix

Paste the Result here inside
Code:
Insert here

I dont have any fix option, its just game diagnostic. Here is output of game diagnostic
Code:
Non-DirectPlay game path is 'd:\aok new\age of empires 2\game' Verifying 'd:\aok new\age of empires 2\game\language.dll' exists... Success! Voobly path is 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly' Game version is '2.0a-VLY' Checking DirectPlay libraries... Looking for dpwsockx.dll... Looking for dplayx.dll... 'c:\windows\system32\dplayx.dll' size: 215552 bytes DirectPlay Init Success! Scanning installed DirectPlay games... Age of Empires II [found] Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion Game was found in DirectPlay registry! DirectPlay play thinks the game is installed at 'd:\aok new\age of empires 2\game' DirectPlay command line is 'lobby' DirectPlay play thinks the game exe is at 'd:\aok new\age of empires 2\game\empires2.exe' Verifying file exists... Success! DirectPlay play thinks the language dll is at 'd:\aok new\age of empires 2\game\language.dll' Verifying file exists... Success! Scanning 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly\gamedata\AOK\empires2.exe' Success! Everything looks fine. DirectPlay is configured and the game was found on your harddrive. If you still have problems try rejoining the lobby or restarting your computer.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +arslan

Posted 21 November 2020 - 1:54 pm
Try this :

Exit Voobly completely

Goto : 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly\gamedata'

Delete the 'aok' folder only

Start Voobly and Join AOK lobby, it will download the Patch again and install

Host a new room and see the if the warning about your Max Res is reflected there or not.
<Age of Empires II: Age of Kings doesn't optimally support your current 1536x864 display resolution. To use your desktop resolution in game click "Game" -> "Resolution Tool" -> "Force Desktop Resolution In Game". This feature is completely optional -- if you do not enable it the game will use either 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024. For more information read this>

If it is able to correctly detect your current desktop resolution then you are good to go.

In case it does not work then try this :

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 21 November 2020 - 2:48 pm
+arslan wrote:
Try this :

Exit Voobly completely

Goto : 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly\gamedata'

Delete the 'aok' folder only

Start Voobly and Join AOK lobby, it will download the Patch again and install

Host a new room and see the if the warning about your Max Res is reflected there or not.

If it is able to correctly detect your current desktop resolution then you are good to go.

In case it does not work then try this :

Ok I deleted that folder, joining lobby downloaded update and ran voobly installer. Logged in again. Display resolution is again wrongly detected as 1536x864.

Alright, moving to clean reinstall, here, everything installed is same as instruction including directory:

Then I downloaded and installed patch in your given link. It successfully ran the patch and updated it.

Back to voobly, and guess what? Again crashes.....
Here is game diagnostic
Code:
Non-DirectPlay game path is 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II' Verifying 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language.dll' exists... Success! Voobly path is 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly' Game version is '2.0a' Checking DirectPlay libraries... Looking for dpwsockx.dll... Looking for dplayx.dll... 'c:\windows\system32\dplayx.dll' size: 215552 bytes DirectPlay Init Success! Scanning installed DirectPlay games... Age of Empires II [found] Age of Empires II - The Conquerors Expansion Game was found in DirectPlay registry! DirectPlay play thinks the game is installed at 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II' DirectPlay command line is 'lobby' DirectPlay play thinks the game exe is at 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\empires2.exe' Verifying file exists... Success! DirectPlay play thinks the language dll is at 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\language.dll' Verifying file exists... Success! Scanning 'c:\program files (x86)\voobly\gamedata\AOK\empires2.exe' Success! Everything looks fine. DirectPlay is configured and the game was found on your harddrive. If you still have problems try rejoining the lobby or restarting your computer.

Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 25 November 2020 - 8:01 am
Hello there,

Window mode has nothing to do with other players in your game room seeing a version error. That is more to do with the patch you are using.

You should be playing the game in your native desktop resolution Attempts to play the game at a higher resolution than what is supported by your monitor may result in abrupt game crashes.

Assuming that you are trying to play the game in 1080p and your computer natively supports this resolution, you should be fine after you do the following:

1. Enable '32 bit', 'window mode', and 'force desktop resolution' from within your game room
2. Start the game in single-player mode and set the in-game resolution to your desired preferences once the game starts. Subsequent games thereafter should automatically retain this resolution.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 11 out of 11 posts