Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > Important Lobby Changes

Important Lobby Changes

+chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Edited 4 May 2020 - 12:30 pm by +chris@voobly
Dear Community

our player numbers have exploded in the past two months, and the complaints about lobbies that have become sluggish after some time, countless client crashes when you enter a game room or random lagging issues have become worse and worse. One reason is the unexpected player growth of 400%, and we have to admit, that our servers are simply unable to handle the current server load.

In order to resolve all those issues, we were forced to split our game lobbies and introduce a maximum player limit of 600 players per lobby. Currently, every lobby does have 100 game rooms, and we will try to increase that number again, once we see, how the server load is developing.

With the next upcoming database maintenance (this coming Wednesday at 1 AM PST) we plan to raise the number of game rooms to 150 per lobby again. For now, all crashing and lagging issues should be resolved, and our server load has been almost halved. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may have caused. However, we help no one, if lobbies with more than 2000 players keep crashing or make it impossible to play, just because the servers cannot handle it anymore.

The way to find and host games now has changed a bit, and you guys must always join multiple lobbies when all game rooms are taken for example, or if you are unable to find the game of your choice. We have created four lobbies for each category, e. g. Casual, New Players, Rated RM/DM and Custom Scenario.

Again, apologies for any inconvenience.

We also want to thank everyone again, as we keep hitting new players records almost daily.
  • 8251 simultaneously players on client.
  • 7410 simultaneously players in AOC, 422 in AOK, 190 in AOE3 and 90 in AOE1.
  • More than 30k players on client in 24 hours (in average).
  • More than 1.3 TB of recorded games within two months.

[UPDATE #1]

We have changed our lobby settings as following:
  • Player Lobby Limit: 800
  • Game Room Limit: 200
  • Premium Game Rooms: 20
  • Premium Members can enter full lobbies.

[UPDATE #2]

Two (rated) DM Lobbies have been added.
Added DM 1v1 and DM TG.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]_krmyth9

Posted 3 May 2020 - 11:44 pm
Having the high user amount is great!! We appreciate everyone's understanding and patience as we sort it all out.

Happy gaming!
Link | Reply | Quote
 LapisVerde

Posted 3 May 2020 - 11:50 pm
Hello. I want to give some suggestion. With all thou respect this new update with lots of random names lobbies are not frienddly at all to find the games we want to play. Entering multiple rooms it just keep a lot of players idle in ones and paying attention in just a few others.
Please, create specific game lobbies for the most popular ones like "nomad", "cba" "arabia" "first 10 games" and many other. Thank you very much for your attention.

LapisVerde
Link | Reply | Quote
 [LoKand40]GaLaTaLi_42Turk

Edited 4 May 2020 - 12:18 am by [LoKand40]GaLaTaLi_42Turk
merhaba bence de harita ve oyun modu üstüne lobiler yapılırsa ve oudan bugda kalan oyuncuların oyundan atılması sağlanırsa server yükü azalmış olur şuan kaç saattir oyun oynayamadık farklı lobilerde aynı oyunu oynamak isteyen arkadaşlar bulamıyoruz örneğin bf lord oyuncuları arabia oyuncuları gibi ayrı oyunlar kurulabilir new player lobby ve medivalde tabiki
Link | Reply | Quote
 [QosQo]jumjum1

Posted 4 May 2020 - 12:29 am
HAbran miles de lobbyes no importa, el sentido de entrar a jugar es encontrarte con amigos y poder jugar y poder desarrollarte de diferentes maneras que sentido tiene entrar A VOOVLY si ya no puedo conversar , ni jugar con ningun amigo, lo mejor que pueden hacer es incrementar la cantidad de jugadores que pueden ingresar al lobby y tambien eliminar cuentas que ya dejaron de usarce, hay muchos viejos que solo crean cuentas nuevas saturando los servidores. si estaes una mejora solo ocasionara que los jugadores nos vayamos a donde las comunidades sean mas grandes.
Link | Reply | Quote
 mich

Posted 4 May 2020 - 12:35 am
Hopefully this will be seen as good news.

The visual of it was shocking at first, but I know this change is for the better to help Voobly run smoothly.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Crawl_Waffl

Edited 4 May 2020 - 3:28 am by Crawl_Waffl
Just name lobbies like -

1v1 and FFA MS RM\DM
2v2MS RM\DM
3+v3+MS RM\DM

And maybe FMT 3+v3+ or 3+v3+ BF

You will add some convenience,rather than - "Same 600 people can enter all lobbies to not find a room which they would be pleased with".
Naming some lobbies by map names also is option but there is to much different popular maps and ways to play them,plus what if someone wants to play any of those maps,which one would be faster to start,but only if it's 2v2FMT or 4v4noFMT ?
Little more explanation

Rising limits of lobbies to 800 or 1000 will make it better but it will NOT SOLVE this problem.All people still COULDN'T FIT IN.We have 600/600 #1 Rated RM\DM,and #2 Rated RM\DM is only 160/600 while it was more than 2k before update.

I could be wrong about where server load coming from,but can be good if you somehow made that rooms after game start would be excluded from lobby by default if not switched differently for reasons like allowed spectators or whatever.So you wouldn't need to send all people in lobby info about all people who already in game and their rooms.
Link | Reply | Quote
 FlandersARG

Edited 4 May 2020 - 1:25 am by FlandersARG
What the **** is this, Voobly. I play here since 2013 and this is the worst decision the staff could make.

First, i'm not saying it for me or for the players who have been on this platform for a long time, but you don't really put themselves in the place of new players. Imagine a new player who started playing, for example, a week ago. You think they can understand where they have to enter to play a game of Arabia, Black Forest, Arena, CBA, CBA Hero, etc. Put consistent names that really identify the lobby

Second, in RM more than 2000 players play at the same time. Limiting lobbies to 600 people and 100 games at the same time is ridiculous. If you had to wait many minutes before playing a game, imagine now
(Knowing that many players create rooms for 2 people, be AFK or with password).

Third, Voobly must be more cautious when you make an update. Cannot update the platform when the largest number of players are playing. They must go in search of a moment where it affects the least amount of players possible.

Please reevaluate this decision. Most players are not happy with this channel split and Voobly is in danger of losing a lot of players.

Regards.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']koandcul1

Posted 4 May 2020 - 12:54 am
LapisVerde wrote:
Hello. I want to give some suggestion. With all thou respect this new update with lots of random names lobbies are not frienddly at all to find the games we want to play. Entering multiple rooms it just keep a lot of players idle in ones and paying attention in just a few others.
Please, create specific game lobbies for the most popular ones like "nomad", "cba" "arabia" "first 10 games" and many other. Thank you very much for your attention.

LapisVerde

[You must login to view link]
The names looks awesome, but I also agree with LapisVerde.

Seems more simple to join to a lobby and host or wait for someone else to host the game/mod/map you play , than to join all lobbies and search for your game/map/mod
Link | Reply | Quote
 24_Mascherano

Posted 4 May 2020 - 1:21 am
24, voobly is a international plattform and not get Announcements in spanish from admis?
Link | Reply | Quote
 FedeARG_1

Posted 4 May 2020 - 1:31 am

I understand but in my opinion, it should be at least 1000 or 800 players!
Link | Reply | Quote
 mich

Edited 4 May 2020 - 1:43 am by mich
24, voobly is a international plattform and not get Announcements in spanish from admis?

Use google translate friend :)

1) Voobly will lose a lot more players if it continues to lag and crash. The server wasn't able to handle the previous setup without these changes. As chris mentioned, we've gained about 4x the amount of players.

2) This is exactly how Zone was setup. Multiple lobbies for the same type of game; RM, DM, CS. My guess is to prevent server crashes and overloading :) Better to fix this now, than never and keep having the same issues.

3) I'm afraid if we name a lobby by a map (imho), others won't play other maps. They'll stick to that lobby/map. It happened already in the CS lobby where the majority play CBA/CBA Hero. Maybe this way people will play other maps in the other lobbies. I would imagine having that many map lobbies would be really crowded. I must say it's an interesting idea though lol.

4) +1 about limited game rooms and players. There should be more, but keep in mind we are waiting for the update on Wednesday for the increase in rooms. As far as the names of the maps or type of game, they can be found on the main AoC Games page on the right column.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Troy

Edited 4 May 2020 - 2:30 am by Troy
Just leave suggestions. Don't attack. We will try our best from our side to understand and make the players happier. Also got to keep in mind we are trying to keep the client running smooth with no issues.

Cheers!
Link | Reply | Quote
 +kwin

Posted 4 May 2020 - 2:15 am
I really hate the system, now all my friends are divided over the lobby's and they can't join...
I am already waiting 2 hours for a FN game, it's impossible now...

It's very nice voobly has more members but this is just stupid in my opinion... I never had lag or crashes and I could play, now I can't or I must play another map that I don't like...

I guess I better go to steam now because the friends system of Voobly is gone now. In Steam it's also a bad friends system but at least I can find games there...

This really sucks
Link | Reply | Quote
 +kwin

Edited 4 May 2020 - 3:24 am by +kwin
OH.... and only 5 premium rooms is the biggest joke of all lol ^^

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]23456789
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 121 posts