UserProxy Installation (FastProxy Alternative)

vazzY00

Posted 21 April 2020 - 7:08 pm
As seen in the NAT Transversal documentation provided by Voobly it's possible to set up a proxy server on a third location if you're not able to open ports where you're standing at.

Has anybody put in practice this solution?

When I'm trying to set up such server, after setting the correct address in the client, joining a lobby returns error connecting to such user proxy, or error connecting to such player. Making impossible to play any match.

Only 9000 port was opened at server's, should I open Age of Empires II ports? DMZ the server?

Thanks in advance,

J
Link | Reply | Quote
 [kLu]Troy

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:05 pm
Hello, vazzY00

The only port you need is 16000 UDP. Also make sure UPnP is disabled so it doesn't block the 16000 port.
Also not sure if you touched NAT Traversal on Voobly setting but make sure that is also 16000.

If you are still having lag/connecting issues please run a Network Diagnostic : In top left corner of lobby you will see "Options" tab under that tab is "Network Diagnostics" please scan and copy+paste it here.

We will be able to help you more since we would know the issue via ports.
Link | Reply | Quote
 vazzY00

Posted 22 April 2020 - 7:52 pm
I've just opened TCP 9000 and 16000 UDP for my UserProxy Server. Although warnings in the chat windows seems scary (Couldnt connect to user through fast proxy, or user proxy) it worked like a charm, even shared same userproxy IP with 2 friends allowing us to make a 8 match with average low latency 60-100ms.

Thank you very much!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [kLu]Troy

Posted 22 April 2020 - 8:01 pm
Hello, You only need 16000 UDP enabled. Disable or remove the TCP 9000. Also what are you using for internet? 3g/4g/5g usb or router modem?

cheers.
Link | Reply | Quote
 vazzY00

Posted 24 April 2020 - 1:00 am
9000 TCP for is required for user proxy server. As detailed in the following guide https://www.voobly.com/pages/view/177/NAT-Traversal-Network-Diagnostic#Host_your_own_proxy_server

I'm on a broadband location proxying through another broadband connection (which allows me to forward ports) to the final users/players. Which adds about 30-40ms but lets me play though.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 24 April 2020 - 9:10 am
vazzY00 wrote:
9000 TCP for is required for user proxy server. As detailed in the following guide https://www.voobly.com/pages/view/177/NAT-Traversal-Network-Diagnostic#Host_your_own_proxy_server
This is just a testing application which requires TCP 9000.
Link | Reply | Quote
 vazzY00

Edited 25 April 2020 - 12:38 am by vazzY00
Voobly provides a proxy server, called fast proxy, which is located in the USA. While fast proxy works well for those users located near to it geographically, for users across the world it can have a significant impact on latency as the data would first go from, e.g.: China (user1) to USA back to China (user2).

Voobly now provides the option for users to host their own proxy server to allow other users to connect through them to play. This is similar to the concept of virtual private networks (VPNs) or Hamachi. These user hosted proxy servers are referred to as "user proxy" in the remainder of this guide.

It's not a testing tool or whatsoever.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 7 out of 7 posts