Getting connection failure on diagnostic but game works fine

Gwinbar

Posted 17 December 2018 - 3:51 am
Hi,

recently my ISP changed my router, and now the network diagnostic is giving me the "connection failure" result. Checklist of things I've done:

* My PC's IP is set to static from the router (as in, DHCP reserved; I also tried setting it static from the PC itself).
* UDP port 16000 is forwarded, though the diagnostic is the same if it is not forwarded.
* UPnP is disabled, and enabling it doesn't help.

Settings were exactly the same with my previous router, and I didn't have this problem.

Now, when I join a game it takes a few seconds for the "connecting" symbol to leave and I get a message about port forwarding, but so far the games seem to work, no lag or anything. Should I be worried about this? How can I fix it?

Thanks!
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 17 December 2018 - 1:45 pm
hi
if it works ok, then probably not. how ever if it screws up you will have no idea how to fix it.
so, whats the router make/model number? any pc firewall or anti-virus? when you got a new router did you change your package with the isp? are you on a shared WAN ip?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gwinbar

Posted 17 December 2018 - 2:19 pm
The router is a Sagemcom FAST3686; the router's firewall is disabled. I have the Windows Firewall (set to allow Voobly) and Windows Defender, but disabling them doesn't make any difference. AFAIK the ISP didn't change anything, only the router, and I think I'm not on a shared IP: at least the IP reported by the router is the same I get from Googling what's my IP.

Do you know of any tool to check if the port is actually open? Online port checkers seem to only do TCP.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Edited 17 December 2018 - 2:33 pm by kitt
hi
try this free one: [You must login to view link]
there is no need for your router f/wall to be off, so turn it on. your wan ip does change.
edit
check from this tutorial if the router set up is ok using only port 16000udp: [You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gwinbar

Posted 17 December 2018 - 3:19 pm
Well, this is strange. The PF tool says that all ports are open, but I tried also forwarding a TCP port and setting up a listening service, and online tools say that it is closed... Clearly there is something weird going on with the router.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 17 December 2018 - 3:26 pm
hi
only need 16000udp.
Sagemcom FAST3686 is an older router, sure its not the AC model? see if any others have had problems on forums etc.
as you seem happy doing the forwarding you could reset the router yo factory and start again but first try just a router reboot, then recheck the forwarding.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gwinbar

Posted 2 March 2019 - 5:43 pm
Hi kitt

I've done some more testing. I've only tried playing a few games, but it seems like the game only works fine when I play with people near me, otherwise I get FP and lag. The port checker tool you linked says that the forwarding is correct (i.e., UDP port 16000 is open, others are not), but I still get connection failure on the diagnostic. Any idea where the problem could be?

Thanks for all your help
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Edited 3 March 2019 - 11:59 pm by kitt
hi
make enquireries with your isp as what type of package/connection type to the net you have. what runs in the background while playing? if you have a anti-virus, is it scanning all files?[real time protection] does it have a "game mode" make sure you only have one pc firewall.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gwinbar

Edited 5 March 2019 - 9:34 pm by Gwinbar
I have tried disabling the antivirus and the firewall. Still, since this started happening when the router changed, I don't think it has anything to do with that.

What should I ask my ISP? Do you have any idea where/what the problem could be?
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 6 March 2019 - 12:30 am
hi
Quote:
make enquireries with your isp as what type of package/connection type to the net you have
see if your internet ip is being shared with others. its known as carrier grade. to fully test if your AV is a problem, uninstall it. reboot the pc and then see.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Gwinbar

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:08 pm
Reviving this old thread: It doesn't seem like I have carrier grade, or that the antivirus is the problem. ISP is not being very helpful, though :( Can you think of anything else that might be the problem? It seems weird that I can't connect to any of the servers but that after a minute I can connect to players fine. With a VPN everything works fine.

As always, thanks for the help!
Link | Reply | Quote
 hassan

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:28 am
Hi.

As Kitt mentionned, you need to check deeply with your ISP. Maybe they didn't understand your query correctly.

Also, keep in mind that Voobly has a NAT Handshake everytime you join the lobbies/game room for the first time in the session.

Again, I'll advise you to check with your ISP if you need a static IP plan to have your ports forwarded correctly.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 12 out of 12 posts