XMouse is a restricted program?

wisul

Edited 21 October 2018 - 8:35 am by wisul
I was dropped from my game and kicked from Voobly for using XMouse Button Control, a program that I use to remap my push to talk key on Discord. No other competitive game has a problem with this program, so is there some other reason for this? The popup linked me to the Voobly code of conduct, which mentions nothing about XMouse, or other restricted programs.

I tried to ask about this in the new player lobby (for AOE2) but I am being told that I am not a new player. Are these common problems, and how do I solve them?
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:38 pm
hi
xmouse is a restricted app on voobly. if you have it installed remove it or you will get banned automatically.
Link | Reply | Quote
 wisul

Posted 22 October 2018 - 1:02 am
As you can see from my post, I definitely understand that. What I'm wondering is: why. I play Starcraft, Overwatch, Counter Strike, tons more multiplayer games. None have a problem with XMouse being on my computer, because it is not a program that can be used to cheat. No other game I play tries to tell me how to use my computer. Why are you scanning my computer for programs anyway?

This is pretty ridiculous, and it's a deal breaker that doesn't need to exist.
Link | Reply | Quote
 wisul

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:35 pm
My question is still unaddressed: why does Voobly consider XMouse a known "known application and cheat"? Neither VAC nor punkbuster take issue with it, because it's not relevant to what they're trying to prevent.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 24 October 2018 - 2:51 pm
hi
voobly does take issue and atmm its a banned app.
Link | Reply | Quote
 wisul

Posted 25 October 2018 - 7:40 am
Clearly. I don't know if you'd be able to tell me why? Or is there a chance that policy could be reviewed? I'm not really getting any information from your responses.
Link | Reply | Quote
 wisul

Posted 26 October 2018 - 3:26 am
Yep! As you can read in my original post, I read the code of conduct. It doesn't reference XMouse at all, and more importantly, the general description of banned programs doesn't seem to suit it.

I feel like I'm talking to a lawyer. Are you interested in understanding my question? I was told that one of the selling points of playing on Voobly is the moderation team, but everything I've heard so far is just a rehashing of things I myself presented in the opening post.

I'm interested in using your application, but I'm being blocked by something I feel is extraneous (and that many other applications consider extraneous). I understand that this isn't really a big problem for you, I was just hoping for some help. Kind of spooked to have received this kind of unhelpful response.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Th0m

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:00 am
Using macros can be considered a form of cheating. The most common way of using macros is through multistep keypress/clicks that execute a series of commands done via mouse/keyboard. Obviously, the most cost-effective way of regulating this is through prohibiting software that allows you to create these kinds of macros - XMouse is one of them. Sadly, this means you cannot use XMouse for a simple remapping. Other applications that are prohibited probably include AHK etc.

Yes there might be better ways of dealing with this but this is presumably the most cost-effective way. No point blaming Voobly. if people didn't try to cheat, we wouldn't have this problem. Such is lufe. XMouse/AHK/Gaming mouse/keyboard software don't do anything more than reg edits? I think, so you can probably remap manually and that won't be detected but best to confirm with the Moderation and Tech team to confirm it's legit.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Troy

Posted 5 November 2018 - 10:28 pm
Th0m wrote:
but best to confirm with the Moderation and Tech team to confirm it's legit.

You can post in Technical Support forums with these type of questions. However it will be replied by a higher level Staff member. ;flowers
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MIST]Coroz

Posted 19 November 2018 - 7:17 pm
This is one of the most stupid things i heard.
You can macro on any gaming keyboard and/or mouse these days.
I tried to install Xmouse so i can edit my two side keys on the mouse for pressing group 5 and 6.
And my mouse was cheap. (using microsoft basic mouse software)
Also voobly aoe2 doesnt accept all the aoe2hd hotkeys. also crap.
Voobly even wants you to uninstall the program as if its somekind of danger for voobly.
I gues i have to pay for a better mouse next time.

Moderators you cant stop people from using macro just by banning xmouse. its much easier these days by just getting a gaming keyboard.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +sunny@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 15 December 2018 - 1:54 pm
Apologies for the delayed response.

The general use of macros is not prohibited. In fact I would say about 50% of the users use some form of programmable hotkeys either using the built in apps that the programmable mice and keyboard are bundled with or by the use of external scripts. That said the use of these tools to automate any section of the game that otherwise must require manual intervention, is strictly prohibited and is considered cheating.

For example: Binding the mouse keys to a group number (as in your case) is definitely something we are not concerned about however, having a script to make 10 villagers build 10 houses (or any building) simultaneously at the click of a button will be considered as cheating. The same goes for unit micro in a battle, monk conversions in a group, mass farming, walling etc.

The bigger problem is, how do we determine the extent of your macro automation? Although the game moderation team will generally react to a game complaint about a player using such malpractices by reviewing a reported game, there is no means for us to proactively prevent the use of such scripts other than blacklisting some of the most commonly used apps for such tasks (XMouse, AHK, etc).

The approach behind banning these free apps is to curb the overuse of scripts to automate your games and to limit the amount of users using them. I understand banning few apps does not address this issue entirely but it certainly helps to reduce the number of complaints in this regards.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Achtentachtig

Edited 6 January 2019 - 5:56 pm by Achtentachtig
+sunny@voobly wrote:
For example: Binding the mouse keys to a group number (as in your case) is definitely something we are not concerned about however, having a script to make 10 villagers build 10 houses (or any building) simultaneously at the click of a button will be considered as cheating. The same goes for unit micro in a battle, monk conversions in a group, mass farming, walling etc.
Using a mouseprogram doesn't give any advantage in age of empires 2. Hotkeys are already in the game which can be used to make buildings really fast.

In order to make 10 houses, you only need to use 11 button presses and you got more control over where you place the buildings. The placement of buildings matters a lot. They can be used to make a wall which a script would never be able to do, because it can't see the position of the objects in game. So it can't be used for walling either and it can't make efficient farms. Also you'd need to have your screen over where you place the buildings and you got to be precise or the script would try to put the buildings on top of objects like trees. If anything using such a script is a disadvantage.

There is no way to use such a script for unit micro, because it can't see the enemy units. You can't attack ground a bunch of enemy units with your mangonel if you can't see them lol. You'd need a bot for that.

None of your examples work well in age of empires 2. Maybe other games got more issues, but really I don't see why this program is banned.
Link | Reply | Quote
 kitt

Posted 7 January 2019 - 11:08 am
hi
you may not see but that is the way it is at the moment.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 13 out of 13 posts