Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Random Map > Should RM historical ratings be removed?

Should RM historical ratings be removed?

Poll: Should RM historical ratings be removed?
Hide historical ratings
Just add it to your profile
I like it the way it is
I do not care
 ['RB']Dan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 9:27 am
The fact is people won't play with pros which is a pathetic attitude to have. You should be delighted to play in a game with a pro player instead of worrying about a stupid number beside your name.

Points man it all about the points!
Link | Reply | Quote
 ForgttenEmperor

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:42 am
who are we to rewrite history.. dont **** with it
Link | Reply | Quote
 ForgttenEmperor

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:43 am
what the ****?! why the **** is "****" starred out?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:02 am
WTF?!! keep them
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:22 am
Personally, I think all historical ratings should be hidden. I can't see the benefit of it being shown in the lobby. I think there should also be an option to hide the ratings you choose to hide in your profile.

The reason ratings are reset is that the RM General was being used for 1v1 and team games and the vast number of smurfs create over-inflated ratings. The new ladder, decay system, co-op disabled for 1v1 and 1v1 disabled from RM Team Games ladder means that the new ratings will be far more accurate.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Edited 10 January 2013 - 1:02 pm by Good
_Aregus_ wrote:
So u promote the smurfing or what?! Why should i accept a 2k+ player in my team game room and let him ruin the game, if me and other players are 1k6? Because Chris, Cyclops and other experts can't increase their raitings?? WTF! It's ridiculous! If even u hide the old ratings almost all experts are well known, and they will continu to be kicked from lower rooms anyway!
I will explain my own reasoning concerning RM Team Games rating:
If the team game ratio of an 1k6 player is 6 wins and 5 loses when he plays in 1k6 team games, and the team game ratio of Chris (who is 2k5 RM General) is 1 win and 4 loses when he plays in 2k+ teamgames, it means that the 1k6 player deserves better RM Team Game rating than Chris!
So RM Team Games and RM General ratings are two completely different logics. Let it the way it is and all players will have the Team Game ratings they deserve!

Regards,
Areg

So you're saying it's normal for you to have a rating higher than Chris or Cyclops? o.O

You should be happy to play games against these guys while you can and get the experience of it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _IYIastA_

Posted 10 January 2013 - 1:36 pm
_Aregus_ wrote:
Dear Good,
Please read with attention what i wrote.
My logic is: The Team Game rating reflects the ability of a player to play in team games where all players are approximately on the same level of skills. So if an 1k6 player has better team games results playing in 1k6 team games than the results Chris has playing in 2k+ teamgames, it means that his Team Game rating must be higher than the Team Game rating of Chris.
Of course the RM General (which includs also 1v1 games) and the RM 1v1 ratings of Chris must be better, because Chis is top expert, but the RM Team Games as i told is completely different logic.

Concerning the fact that i should be happy to play team games against these guys and be raped for 100% by them, I will tell u that i'm not a masochist...

If someone is still playing 1.6k games and winning them all then he is obviously creating new accounts every time he gets too high to play in them. If you are deliberately avoiding better players then you are a blight on the game and one of the reasons this reset happened.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [INoV]CarlosFerdinand

Edited 10 January 2013 - 2:10 pm by [INoV]CarlosFerdinand
Best idea is to remove it from being displayed in the lobby at the end of this month, but certainly KEEP in available in your profile permanently, and FREEZE that graph in the details section of rm general showing rating curve for rm general ladder because it is pointless to continue a straight line graph for the next 2 months when it is an unplayable ladder. (and because i can see my 2k rating i achieved forever ;grin ).
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 10 January 2013 - 3:19 pm
_Aregus_ wrote:
Dear Good,
Please read with attention what i wrote.
My logic is: The Team Game rating reflects the ability of a player to play in team games where all players are approximately on the same level of skills. So if an 1k6 player has better team games results playing in 1k6 team games than the results Chris has playing in 2k+ teamgames, it means that his Team Game rating must be higher than the Team Game rating of Chris.
Of course the RM General (which includs also 1v1 games) and the RM 1v1 ratings of Chris must be better, because Chis is top expert, but the RM Team Games as i told is completely different logic.

Concerning the fact that i should be happy to play team games against these guys and be raped for 100% by them, I will tell u that i'm not a masochist...

There is no requirement for teams to be equal skilled, higher rated against lower rated or other scenarios. The adjustment in how many points a player wins will be awarded fairly, i.e. if a 2.1k player beats a 1600 player in 1v1, he only wins 1 point.

Play the experts while you can, seriously. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Sentenza_

Edited 10 January 2013 - 4:20 pm by _Sentenza_
Just some more points,

- Any 2k++ player can win 3 if not 4 1500 alltogether, there is no logic to mix them.
- A lot of <1600 players have such rate since years, they dont care that pro players "teach them their errors" by powning them in 5 min, they just want to keep playing their "cool" games with their <1600 fellows.
- If Chris or those guys are really 2k3 or 2k4++ TG players, they 1st need to play a bit more than 5 games to get their TG ratings back, and they should be able to get such huge rates (with time) by playing with only 18++ players, if not only 2k++, it shouldnt be a problem for them to win those players. I doubt 18++ or 2k++ kick them when they enter in their rooms.
- If there is no infos about all players, u will have supernoobs who will f.u.c.k pro games, and superpros who will f.u.c.k noobs games, i dont think this will make everybody happy, also when <1600 players will be sick of being killed everytime by 10X better players, some will without doubt leave the game, especially new players, it will discourage them.
- Even if u hide old rates, i doubt it will that much accelerate the rates progression, most of players will just keep to play with only knowns, and kick the other unknowns, but u'll get those unfair games because of complete newbies or smurfs in addition.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BuLLeTzz__

Posted 10 January 2013 - 6:18 pm
I don't personally care what happens to the ratings one way or the other, but I do want to make one point: as things currently are, the RM - Team Games rating is being completely disregarded since most players choose to evaluate their opponent's level of skill solely based upon their 2007-2012 rating. IMO, if we are going to reset the ratings let's just keep an historical record of the top 25 highest ranked players for this time period and entirely reset all of the ratings, DM and CS included.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 10 January 2013 - 6:33 pm
BuLLeTzz__ wrote:
I don't personally care what happens to the ratings one way or the other, but I do want to make one point: as things currently are, the RM - Team Games rating is being completely disregarded since most players choose to evaluate their opponent's level of skill solely based upon their 2007-2012 rating. IMO, if we are going to reset the ratings let's just keep an historical record of the top 25 highest ranked players for this time period and entirely reset all of the ratings, DM and CS included.

+1

I like this idea. I would possibly suggest storing the top 100 though ;)

Reset all please.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BuLLeTzz__

Posted 10 January 2013 - 6:46 pm
Thanks :) I've been thinking about it more and more lately and I've come to the conclusion that the ratings should be completely reset for RM, DM and CS. Keeping an historical record of the top 25 (or top 50, 100, etc.) ranked players in these three categories seems appropriate. I realize that no one wants to be "smurfed" but in reality the strongest players will quickly rise to the highest ranks and the less skilled and experienced players will almost immediately have lower ratings. There are also a lot of players on Voobly that used to be very strong but have not been active recently, so within a few weeks, their new ratings will in all likelihood be more accurate than their old ratings anyways. Just my two cents..
Link | Reply | Quote
 __Rod__

Posted 10 January 2013 - 8:59 pm
Everything is just a mess... The reset poll was dominated by smurfs and usual players, and not the ones who really supports voobly... Its simple: Resetting a rating system older as 2007 one is like erasing part of your life, who you are, what you did... Whats the point? AoFE was coming soon also, people would move on naturally.

Now this changes, General to Team Games and 1x1... Just let the General ladder only then remove all others. A good 1x1 player should be good in a TG also!

But hey, whatever now, I wont be supporting Voobly in future... Im from the old school, one day you just get tired.
Link | Reply | Quote
 moocowmoo

Edited 10 January 2013 - 9:30 pm by moocowmoo
I think we should let the vote run for a couple weeks before deciding anything. Last time (when the new ratings were added) the vote was closed and the change made before I even got to vote. It was all done in a day or two. I didn't even figure out why anyone wanted to change it before it was a done deal.

Personally I like the old ratings. They were based on a lot of time and a lot of data. There was good information in there. Not perfect information, but good information. I still like them, and I want to see them.

Maybe the thing to do is allow each person to decide if they want to see old ratings or not, with a setting they can check or not. I definitely want them.

Link | Reply | Quote
12[3]4
Displaying 31 - 45 out of 49 posts