Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > Empire Wars map creation contest

Empire Wars map creation contest

+pablo@voobly

Community Patch Developer

Edited 1 October 2021 - 10:29 am by +pablo@voobly
Empire Wars map creation contest

Contents:

The Community Patch v1.6 team is trying to get the game mode Empire Wars into Voobly. For that to be a reality, we need people to produce a lot of custom scenarios.

So far, we have recived a small amount of scenarios and I want to thank the people that selflessly contributed with maps. However, in order to speed up the process and get a large enough pool of maps, we are going to offer some rewards.

Contest bases

The objective of the contest is to create as many Arabia 1v1 Empire Wars scenarios as possible before the deadline. Creating these scenarios is not hard at all; each map takes less than 20 minutes to be ready and it doesn't require any knowledge of programming or scenario design.

Rules

The ultimate objective of the contest is to create playable Arabia 1v1 maps to add to the Empire Wars game mode so we will value the uniqueness and playability of each map.
  • The maps should be created following the [You must login to view link]. This guide details step by step all that you need to create an Empire Wars Scenario and includes a working scenario as an example.
  • The maps should be labeled and submitted as explained in the aformentioned [You must login to view link]. A map not properly labeled or not submitted through the proper channel may be discarded.
  • The maps should work as Empire Wars scenarios, by adding all villagers, buildings, triggers and effects explained in the guide. A map that is missing stuff will be discarded.
  • The maps should be unique. We won't tolerate people sending the same map several times in order to increase their score. A single map repetition will be seen as an error. Several of them may imply disqualification.
  • The maps should be playable. Resource camps should be placed in a way that allows players to defend or evacuate villagers in the case of a raid. You can generate several versions of the map in order to find one that has a balanced distribution of resources for both players. Maps with properly placed resource camps will get extra points. Maps with resource camps in unrealistic or inneficient positions will get less points and may be discarded if the judges deem them unplayable.

Point distribution

Every submitted map that has all the necessary stuff for the Empire Wars mode and is not deemed unplayable will receive 2 points. From that standard value, judges can increase/decrease it by 1 point depending on how easy they consider the bases to be defendable or how balanced all player bases are.

Judges will look for:
  • Resource camps properly placed.
  • Defendable woodlines.
  • General ease for walling.
  • Balance on the base layout across all players.
Appart from that, the more maps a contestant sends, the higher his/her score will be.

Deadline for submitting maps

This contest will be open until Sunday 17th of October 2021.

Prices
  • First place: 3 months Premium membership.
  • Second place: 2 months Premium membership.
  • Third place: 1 month Premium membership.

Judges
+pablo@voobly
koandcul13
+Isey
Link | Reply | Quote
 Nulazona

Posted 1 October 2021 - 7:03 pm
up, nice adittion
Link | Reply | Quote
 Zhus12

Posted 7 October 2021 - 12:36 am
no thx
Link | Reply | Quote
 Icey

Posted 8 October 2021 - 5:08 pm
Empire Wars is barely played....
Come on guys enough of this>
stop worrying about empire wars
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 8 October 2021 - 5:21 pm
Icey wrote:
Empire Wars is barely played....
Come on guys enough of this>
stop worrying about empire wars
I have people that ask me about when will the game mode be ready.
I have people that have sent me scenarios before the contest started just because they wanted to collaborate in improving the game in Voobly.
I personally like playing the dark age and exercise build orders but that doesn't mean I'm imposing my opinion on the rest.
Let us worry about what we want.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [BRZ]_SANTANA

Posted 8 October 2021 - 5:23 pm
WHERE TO DOWNLOAD EMPIRE WAR
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Posted 8 October 2021 - 5:28 pm
WHERE TO DOWNLOAD EMPIRE WAR
The mod is not out yet. Likely when the contest finishes, we'll publish all the existing scenarios and modify the patch so that it samples from them randomly.

For the time being, we need people producing the scenarios.
Link | Reply | Quote
 __Saladino__

Posted 8 October 2021 - 8:53 pm
para cuando estara listo para que comiense la dicersion
Link | Reply | Quote
 Icey

Edited 8 October 2021 - 10:53 pm by Icey
+pablo@voobly wrote:
I have people that ask me about when will the game mode be ready.
I have people that have sent me scenarios before the contest started just because they wanted to collaborate in improving the game in Voobly.
I personally like playing the dark age and exercise build orders but that doesn't mean I'm imposing my opinion on the rest.
Let us worry about what we want.

You must login into Voobly to view image
Link | Reply | Quote
 +pablo@voobly

Edited 8 October 2021 - 11:39 pm by +pablo@voobly
Those are three people that would wellcome Empire Wars in Voobly. Why can't I make them happy?

And, correct me if I'm wrong, those are the unranked matches. There may be more in the ranked ladder, judging from my YouTube recomendations.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MM]_krmyth9

Posted 9 October 2021 - 9:36 pm
Pretty cool! Hope we get a good turnout.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 11 out of 11 posts