Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > Important Lobby Changes

Important Lobby Changes

Crawl_Waffl

Edited 4 May 2020 - 9:45 pm by Crawl_Waffl
+chris@voobly wrote:
[UPDATE #2]

Two (rated) DM Lobbies have been added.
Added DM 1v1 and DM TG.
Please,just name 1 lobby "3v3\4v4 MS RM/DM".
And see how it goes.
In worst case scenario - you get 1 more empty lobby - you already have so many of them it wouldn't matter.
Or you will make ALL people HAPPY.

This is so frustrating,i really don't get why you admins getting defensive and so stubborn so you rather shame people for being mad,than doing something what was suggested.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [mouz]jotita7

Edited 5 May 2020 - 4:01 am by [mouz]jotita7
+chris@voobly wrote:
How about this:
  • Lobby #1: Black Forest
  • Lobby #2: Arabia
  • Lobby #3: Land Nomad
  • Lobby #4: Other

Those lobbies could be deployed as Casual and Rated. Each lobby would have its own 1v1 and TG ladder, e. g. BF Ladder TG and 1v1, Arabia Ladder TG and 1v1 etc.

Thoughts?

yes! but im afraid there would be too many different ones and it may be confusing to new ppl. i strongly support the idea of a 1v1 lobby only so its easy to get a game.

one distribution can be:
1v1 lobby
TG lobby (arabia / arena / bf only)
TG lobby 2 ( nomad / land nomad / forest nothing / michi etc etc)

other:
- 1v1 lobby
- arabia tg lobby
- arena tg lobby
- nomad / land nomad tg lobby
- black forest / forest nothing / forest prison tg lobby
- water maps tg lobby
- random / custom / mappacks tg lobby

Pd: with only 1 lobby for DM and 1 lobby for CS is more than enought.
Link | Reply | Quote
 FourTet

Edited 4 May 2020 - 11:50 pm by FourTet
A really quick win would be to split RM from DM. Current situation doesn't make any sense - players who play a different game need to get access to the same lobby.

Been playing DM michi for years here, loved it, but current situation will kill it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Myth999

Posted 5 May 2020 - 12:12 am
Haven't been able to get single LN game since the change :(
Link | Reply | Quote
 [mouz]supercrack4

Edited 5 May 2020 - 2:28 am by [mouz]supercrack4
plz make 1 ( ONLY ONE) lobby for 1v1 , ppl inviting me from 3 different lobbys is insane

You must login into Voobly to view image

plus i have to close them after launching 1 game cuz ppl start messaging and asking if afk
Link | Reply | Quote
 BlackMetalAPOEL

Edited 5 May 2020 - 3:13 am by BlackMetalAPOEL
''Apart from a few suggestions, most of what I see is generic whining. Change is always unacceptable at the beginning and eventually, people do get used to it''.

This line sounds like it came from one of the biggest dictators. So the current change in the world with the coronavirus, while unacceptable you need to get used to it for ever? Makes absolutely no sense. Oh and ''generic whining'' from people that have been members for years in this client, should be taken seriously into consideration, and not being attacked by insulting people's opinions. The fact is, that this update, while done with good intentions it is a big failure, causing far more problems than any random crashes or lags. Most of the lag came from actual players not from voobly, and hosting many rooms myself I rarely had lag issues with most of the people, let alone crashes. Lagging/dropping is due to unstable/bad connection from the actual player 90% of the time. At the time writing this post, I have been waiting for a game in ''Spoils of War'' for 50 minutes, with no people joining. As most people have been used to joining the ''main'' lobby of medieval siege they will keep trying to enter there rather than join the other lobbies. I also can't comprehend why a single lobby cannot handle 2k users for example, while 1 year ago, it could handle 1500 players in at the same time perfectly. ( I remember that night, because I was amazed at the amount of players). How about reversing your initial sentence on your comment and instead of attacking people as ''whiners'', use it to at least tweak the update in everybody's benefit. Also while not being a premium member myself 5 or 10 rooms for premium members is unacceptable to say the least.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _FightingIrish_

Posted 5 May 2020 - 3:17 am
The limit on the rooms is pretty silly. It will take forever now to find games. Also to solve problem kick idle people out of the rooms instead of taking spots so people can game.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BlackMetalAPOEL

Posted 5 May 2020 - 3:23 am
@chris, this sounds better, but still there has to be a distinction between NPL and MS level.

For instance 1) Ara/GA NPL and Ara/GA MS
2) BF/Arena NPL BF/Arena MS
3) LN NPL, LN MS
4) Other games/custom maps
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 5 May 2020 - 10:31 am
That last night on Voobly can be summarized as following:
  • More than 50+ locked game rooms with players camping in their game room four hours just to make sure, that they can play later when they are back.
  • Those players who wanted to host now, could not find a free game room, but were also unwilling to try another lobby, so they also camped in the full lobbies for hours.
  • Those players who wanted to join a game, but not to host one, were unable to enter the full lobby, because they were blocked by those waiting for a free game room.
  • None of these three groups of players wanted to try another lobby ("stay and more will come").
I guess we will have to come back with another solution. For now, we have reversed the migration from open to split lobbies. Apologies for those who have to deal with sluggish lobbies / game room crashes and "server too busy" errors on web site again. Unfortunately we don't have $7k to rent another server for 12 months. Upgrading the hardware isn't an option either, because it would just be a temporary solution and not solve our problem -- and cost +$250 per month.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Maki_

Posted 5 May 2020 - 7:13 pm
Welp, sucks for people like me who has actually bought premium memberships in the past to support Voobly, and now I'm back to constant lobby freeze/crashes.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Crawl_Waffl

Posted 5 May 2020 - 7:29 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
That last night on Voobly can be summarized as following:
  • More than 50+ locked game rooms with players camping in their game room four hours just to make sure, that they can play later when they are back.
  • Those players who wanted to host now, could not find a free game room, but were also unwilling to try another lobby, so they also camped in the full lobbies for hours.
  • Those players who wanted to join a game, but not to host one, were unable to enter the full lobby, because they were blocked by those waiting for a free game room.
  • None of these three groups of players wanted to try another lobby ("stay and more will come").
I guess we will have to come back with another solution. For now, we have reversed the migration from open to split lobbies. Apologies for those who have to deal with sluggish lobbies / game room crashes and "server too busy" errors on web site again. Unfortunately we don't have $7k to rent another server for 12 months. Upgrading the hardware isn't an option either, because it would just be a temporary solution and not solve our problem -- and cost +$250 per month.
Why you make it sound like it's people's fault and not ones who supposed to think how to organize a crowd?
If you made one lobbie for 3v3\4v4 and named it clear that it's lobby for 3v3\4v\4 in first place,people wouldn't be mad.Or 1v1 or anything else what was suggested.But you want lobbies with names that represent your creativity in naming things somehow to solve anything.
It's like you learn how to act in such situation from politicians.Blame people,and tell them that you doing good job.

Really appreciate that you keeping this platform working at all,and that you trying to make it better,but fact that administration can't recognize it's own mistakes is super upsetting.Well you solved your problem - now it's 3 times less people in lobbies than before update,maybe even less than before quarantines.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']nhoobish

Posted 5 May 2020 - 7:53 pm
The Auto-Join into the former lobby that does not exist anymore still attempts to connect and gives a failed connection window. I suppose this is fixed with uninstalling and reinstalling?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 5 May 2020 - 7:55 pm
The Auto-Join into the former lobby that does not exist anymore still attempts to connect and gives a failed connection window. I suppose this is fixed with uninstalling and reinstalling?

I have the same bug. We are still investigating the issue. Here is the fix for the failed connection window:
https://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/322972
Link | Reply | Quote
 mich

Edited 5 May 2020 - 8:32 pm by mich
Maki_ wrote:
Welp, sucks for people like me who has actually bought premium memberships in the past to support Voobly, and now I'm back to constant lobby freeze/crashes.

Without donations, or people buying premiums, it's a bit difficult to keep up. This includes upgrades and paying server costs every month. Voobly appreciates your donation for premium.

A small example is Wikipedia. It's a free, non-profit website. I imagine their servers are fairly large considering the data and the amount of information Wikipedia supplies. Wikipedia runs solely on donations. I know Voobly is a drop in the bucket compared to Wikipedia, but the concept is the same.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +james@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 5 May 2020 - 9:09 pm
Why you make it sound like it's people's fault and not ones who supposed to think how to organize a crowd?
If you made one lobbie for 3v3\4v4 and named it clear that it's lobby for 3v3\4v\4 in first place,people wouldn't be mad.Or 1v1 or anything else what was suggested.But you want lobbies with names that represent your creativity in naming things somehow to solve anything.
It's like you learn how to act in such situation from politicians.Blame people,and tell them that you doing good job.

Really appreciate that you keeping this platform working at all,and that you trying to make it better,but fact that administration can't recognize it's own mistakes is super upsetting.Well you solved your problem - now it's 3 times less people in lobbies than before update,maybe even less than before quarantines.

I don't think Chris is faulting any one, he's laying out the situation.

We split the lobbies to ease crashes and server load. I don't think the names of the lobbies is what is causing the complaints, it's the fact that people want to stay in a single lobby since it's easier to find games. We reverted the changes, and complaints come in due to crashes. Both scenarios have problems, but that is the only 2 options we have at this time.

Chris pays out of pocket for the servers. He can't simply upgrade the servers and pay thousands more when we don't know if these numbers remain the same.

Link | Reply | Quote
12345[6]789
Displaying 76 - 90 out of 121 posts