Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > Important Lobby Changes

Important Lobby Changes

[ Epic_]_shanks

Posted 4 May 2020 - 4:31 pm
below 17+ level players lobby RM , CS AND above 18+ level players lobby RM ,CS seperate.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Eot_]Evil_Weasel

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:15 pm
Anik3t_ wrote:
No,
It will kill other maps of RM and will reduce variety.
I Think keeping it simple like
MS 1
MS 2
MS 3
MS 4 will be best and easiest.

And for CS , I dont think it does anything to CS. CS will just have 3 extra lobby of 0 players so just let it be and don't join them , behave like you have one only, I dont know why CS players getting mad lol
no. wtf. if i only want to play arabia, why would i need other maps in the game lobby? same for black forest/arena. if i actually cared, i could always join those lobbies. but if it is done the way you suggested, i'd join EVERY lobby that could provide the gamemode i want. where's the point in that? then all lobbies are full, but only a 4th of them are actual players. that'll definitely help.

and why would you make it harder to search for anything by putting multiple lobbies that are completely pointless? if you barely fill one lobby, what do you think will happen with the 50 players that cant join that lobby anymore. you think they host a game in the completely empty second lobby or just log of and maybe try again later?
Link | Reply | Quote
 NastyHighRocks

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:17 pm
Wouldn't it be easier to split the lobbies based on map?
1 arabia lobby, 1 for BF, 1 for nomad etc.
Current system means Medieval Siege will always be full.
Link | Reply | Quote
 GregStein

Edited 4 May 2020 - 5:23 pm by GregStein
I have a different opinion about splitting lobbies. For one splitting lobbies is not user friendly and I'm particularly pointing fingers to New/Beginner Players and basic users. These users will go into the first lobby in that order within the game browser.

Furthermore, splitting players through different lobbies will just increase time to find/play a game at least compared to having all player in one lobby.

Reading some of the creative suggestions such as splitting lobbies per maps or game version. And while all these suggestions are far better than the current lobby distribution. None of them address the core problem just tinkering with user experience.

A reasonable resolution is: Fine-tuning Client/Services/Server
    +Spectator Limit to standard users.
    +Increase refresh rate of players joining lobbies, hosting games
    +Kick out afks from Lobbies (only those not ingame) and provide a reconnect button to click once they are back
    +Limit storing recorded games to last 20 games or less and use 7zip -lmza compression instead.
    +Disable chatting in the lobbies
    +Optimize anti-cheat system and decrease its strength to reduce an infinite server requests
    +While Ingame & By Default Disable chat notifications, stop lobby refreshing
    +Host mods on dropbox(dot)com or mega(dot)nz
    +Etc.

I'm sure Elusive can think of more ways to uplift the high load on the server and you'd be wrong to believe that splitting will accomplish anything.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ISM]i_am_1

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:26 pm
This is not an nice update. Difficult to enter lobby than wait for friends to enter the and than find a game of choice. Please don't ruin the fun.
Link | Reply | Quote
 CSA_R_Griffith

Edited 4 May 2020 - 5:52 pm by CSA_R_Griffith
+chris@voobly wrote:
How about this:
  • Lobby #1: Black Forest
  • Lobby #2: Arabia
  • Lobby #3: Land Nomad
  • Lobby #4: Other

Those lobbies could be deployed as Casual and Rated. Each lobby would have its own 1v1 and TG ladder, e. g. BF Ladder TG and 1v1, Arabia Ladder TG and 1v1 etc.

Thoughts?

Well, this seems to be a good idea, but I will try to pull it a bit.

Lobby #1: Black Forest, Arena, Fortress, Oasis, TI, migration.... A.K.A. closed maps
Lobby #2: Arabia, Gold rush, mongolia.... A.K.A. open maps
Lobby #3: Custom maps(Map packs, LN, FN, LN Nothing, Michi, Forest Prison, etc)
Lobby #4: Other ---> Maybe DM, Custom Scenarios(Europe 1000 pop), etc

leave a max of 150 rooms per lobby and 1200 players per lobby. Also kick players gone AFK for 20 minutes from lobbies, and add the message of (e.g.) in lobby 2, a game of BF, at end: "BF is not allowed map for this ladder/lobby. Game was not rated. Please use ur lobby.....

By the way. CS lobbies are not so much popular, I think you can hhave only 2 lobbies forr those players, maybe 800 max players on them shoould be okay.

I can't talk about NPL, as I dont play there due to experience limit.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Kylar_

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:45 pm
In the long run this is a nail in the coffin. I get it that you are getting more and more players, probably because the game gets more and more famous. But your hardcore root players which have been playing for a decade here are all (!) unsatisfied with your changes. Its impossible to find my regular friends in a lobby with 800 ppl which is always full. I'm sad and if no postiive changes come, this will be it for me on voobly.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Zim900

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:49 pm
i cant play now, new player lobby doesnt accept me becouse my rate and room " Rated RM/DM " its for PREMIUM players, and in the other rooms are just a few players or the rooms are not rated. Thanks Voobly !

Link | Reply | Quote
 SliCK__

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:55 pm
I haven't been able to join the first MS lobby since yesterday. That's obviously where good games are. The other MS has like 80 players as i type this. Three rooms hosted and all of them are not my maps of interest. You gotta love the new setting.
Link | Reply | Quote
 CreamyScreamer

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:55 pm
Players can't find games they want to play. This is a reflection of most players having specific preferences of map/rating to play with, so these must be the axes by which you split the lobbies. Zero differentiation between the purposes of the different lobby just leads to duplicate joins and ultimately more wasted resources on the voobly side.

Any solution which involves splitting the community up has implications for the rating system, but maybe that just reflects what's already the case. If you split by ELO, then there has to be a cross-over zone of 50-100 points, otherwise players will start to be excluded in-between games. It's doable, but risks creating rating bubbles among the players, where 16+ players never play with 18+ players etc. From experience, one of the key ways to improve is playing with much better players. You also still have the problem that people can't play with their higher/lower rated friends, and lower rated players can't spec in the higher rated lobby. It's a suboptimal solution.

Splitting by map is far more straightforward, and reflective of how most people actually play, but harder to enforce because of custom maps (though it's probably unnecessary to enforce it anyway, let people play whatever they want, with the title being a *suggestion*). Based on the leaderboard as it stands at the moment, there are distinct "bubbles" where some high rated players at the top of the leaderboard are only there because they exclusively play BF and stomp those games. As it stands, out of the top 50 TG, I can identify about half the accounts which are BF exclusive, and a lot of them are alts of the same player. The biggest risk with splitting lobbies by map is that the ELO system gets disjointed, but as we can see, this is already the case. There are at least 2-tracks of players lumped into the same ladder as it is already.

My suggested split would be Lobby 1 - Arabia/Nomad Lobby 2 - BF/Arena 3 - Others. Don't bother having specific unrated lobbies (let game room owners decide). Just keep it to the maps. Panic about killing off other maps I think are unfounded - other maps are already pretty rare, but there's a large enough regular community playing Michi/Forest Nothing/Megarandom etc that the lobby for them will always be alive, and maybe giving them their own lobby is a good way of enticing players to try something different. We're certainly not losing anything versus the way things are right now.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Iwantplay

Posted 4 May 2020 - 6:32 pm
Dear Voobly,

Can you perhaps create Rated RM/DM 1, Rated RM/DM 2 or even Rated RM/DM 3.
Link | Reply | Quote
 FlandersARG

Edited 4 May 2020 - 8:47 pm by FlandersARG
Why not like this? Or something like this.
Quote:
NEW PLAYER TG 3v3 4v4 LOBBY 1 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)
NEW PLAYER TG 3v3 4v4 LOBBY 2 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)
NEW PLAYER 1v1 2v2 LOBBY 3 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)

RM/DM TG 3v3 4v4 LOBBY 1 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)
RM/DM TG 3v3 4v4 LOBBY 2 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)
RM/DM 1V1 2v2 LOBBY 3 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)

CUSTOM SCENARIO LOBBY 1 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)
CUSTOM SCENARIO LOBBY 2 (Doesnt matter map or if is a rated or unrated game)

Why like this? Ok, use mathematics.
Assuming that Voobly Allow 1000 Players each looby and all rooms are occupied with the maximum number of players (4v4), you are going to need 125 rooms. In case of 3v3 you will need 167 rooms. So putting a total of 200 rooms and 20 exclusively for premium is fine. The problem is the AFK players.

Now, not many players play 1v1 or 2v2, therefore, copying the same format as the other lobbies would be no problem.

Importat
1. Making an AFK system would solve the problem of having rooms created with afk players or in the lobby. If you are inactive for 15-20 minutes, Voobly will remove you from the room.

2. If any player creates a room, for example, 1v1 in the 4v4 lobby, the moderators can give him an infringement and thus maintain order.

Regards!
Link | Reply | Quote
 LZ_YY90888Dopa

Posted 4 May 2020 - 7:28 pm
[You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 Metalmania

Posted 4 May 2020 - 8:56 pm
Well, this seems to be a good idea, but I will try to pull it a bit.

Lobby #1: Black Forest, Arena, Fortress, Oasis, TI, migration.... A.K.A. closed maps
Lobby #2: Arabia, Gold rush, mongolia.... A.K.A. open maps
Lobby #3: Custom maps(Map packs, LN, FN, LN Nothing, Michi, Forest Prison, etc)
Lobby #4: Other ---> Maybe DM, Custom Scenarios(Europe 1000 pop), etc

leave a max of 150 rooms per lobby and 1200 players per lobby. Also kick players gone AFK for 20 minutes from lobbies, and add the message of (e.g.) in lobby 2, a game of BF, at end: "BF is not allowed map for this ladder/lobby. Game was not rated. Please use ur lobby.....

By the way. CS lobbies are not so much popular, I think you can hhave only 2 lobbies forr those players, maybe 800 max players on them shoould be okay.

I can't talk about NPL, as I dont play there due to experience limit.

This is the best solution by far. The people that only play Arabia wont enter the BF lobby and vice versa so the players wont have to be at various lobbys at the same time. And it will be much easier to find a game to play. But dont make new rating ladders, it is pointless
Link | Reply | Quote
 GarryKasparov

Posted 4 May 2020 - 9:10 pm
Hi all, I get that the situation it's not viable to leave 2k people in one lobby, but after a lot of tries.. when I finally can get into Medieval Siege I realised there are 300+ players afk, or not playing for quite a while. My suggestion is that there has to be a time limit for being afk or not even spectating a game, if you kick these persons from the lobby they will not occupy room for people who really want to play at that moment

Link | Reply | Quote
1234[5]6789
Displaying 61 - 75 out of 121 posts