Community Forums > Voobly General > Announcements > Important Lobby Changes

Important Lobby Changes

ZOET

Posted 4 May 2020 - 2:22 am
i see people hosting TTM in CS lobby now.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Myth999

Posted 4 May 2020 - 2:24 am
Pretty much impossible to get a game now.
Link | Reply | Quote
 xakazulu

Posted 4 May 2020 - 2:44 am
la verdad horrible el nuevo sistema, entras a voobly a encontrarte con amigos y jugar con ellos y ahora están todos separados que sentido tiene entrar a voobly ahora? pésima idea
Link | Reply | Quote
 CSA_R_Griffith

Posted 4 May 2020 - 2:52 am
+chris@voobly wrote:
Dear Community

our player numbers have exploded in the past two months, and the complaints about lobbies that have become sluggish after some time, countless client crashes when you enter a game room or random lagging issues have become worse and worse. One reason is the unexpected player growth of 400%, and we have to admit, that our servers are simply unable to handle the current server load.

In order to resolve all those issues, we were forced to split our game lobbies and introduce a maximum player limit of 600 players per lobby. Currently, every lobby does have 100 game rooms, and we will try to increase that number again, once we see, how the server load is developing.

With the next upcoming database maintenance (this coming Wednesday at 1 AM PST) we plan to raise the number of game rooms to 150 per lobby again. For now, all crashing and lagging issues should be resolved, and our server load has been almost halved. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may have caused. However, we help no one, if lobbies with more than 2000 players keep crashing or make it impossible to play, just because the servers cannot handle it anymore.

The way to find and host games now has changed a bit, and you guys must always join multiple lobbies when all game rooms are taken for example, or if you are unable to find the game of your choice. We have created four lobbies for each category, e. g. Casual, New Players, Rated RM/DM and Custom Scenario.

Again, apologies for any inconvenience.

We also want to thank everyone again, as we keep hitting new players records almost daily.
  • 8251 simultaneously players on client.
  • 7410 simultaneously players in AOC, 422 in AOK, 190 in AOE3 and 90 in AOE1.
  • More than 30k players on client in 24 hours (in average).
  • More than 1.3 TB of recorded games within two months.

Isnt better to have 100 rooms per lobby, but for example 1000 or 1500 players? so everyone can join the lobbies but only 100 games being played simultaneously? right now I joined a lobby and founr no games of interest. then I could join a 600 lobby, and again, only low players on rooms or nothing interested. I think if a lot of players in a lobby, they can play with reduced number of games, So each lobby has max 100 games continously playing. games will be able to be filled and everyone happy.
Link | Reply | Quote
 sirrodrigo1

Posted 4 May 2020 - 2:56 am
i have lost... 30 minutes.. searching a room to play.. enter to loobys... to rooms... bad bad bad... update! i really give up, wait for a change... or other day with more patience.
Regards
Link | Reply | Quote
 [mouz]jotita7

Edited 4 May 2020 - 3:22 am by [mouz]jotita7
Just separate lobbys by rate ( actually there are 3 rooms for rm/dm ) then make

A first lobby range ::: 1400+ to 1600
B second one range ::: 1600 to 1775+
C third for 1775++ ( or whatever ranges u find more convenient )

this way we can:
1.- get matches according to our rates.
2.- avoid overcrowding (actually im searching in ALL LOBBYs for a 18+).
3.- solve bashing issues all the way with this system.
4.- woulda give ppl incentives to grow in rates.
5.- discourage smu.rfs / new accs

Link | Reply | Quote
 LapisVerde

Posted 4 May 2020 - 3:32 am
Wouldn't it be possible to separate where the games are hosted from where the players are announcing their games? If that were possible it would eliminate the problem of having a large lobby.
In practice, advertisements and players would be in the same room only visually.
Many lobbies make things confusing([You must login to view link])

Also fixating those rooms which are busy or playing in a diferent rank can improve the experience. When i rank the rooms by the green ones they keep moving and it is hard sometimes to select the right one, often entering wrong room trying to click the one i wanted.

I think if the improviments are to make things better, voobly team has to have a north which makes the platform easy and frienddly. There are to many option, acronyms(which are hard to understand or find a clue if you are a non native english speaker). A section explanning is good, but not needing an explanation will be better(not always is possible but where its possible).

Voobly could make a research(asking which PC specs have, ISP, latency, ping(which can be achievied linking to some internet speed benchmark test site)) to find why it is having lag and crashing. Sometimes its a specific problem with regions, the player PC or ISP, router, firewall etc and not a Voobly problem at all.

This research could be a popup asking about our game experience and feedback.

Thank you!
Link | Reply | Quote
 LZ_YY90888Dopa

Posted 4 May 2020 - 3:48 am
wtf is this lobby distribution... terrible
Link | Reply | Quote
 Crawl_Waffl

Edited 4 May 2020 - 4:16 am by Crawl_Waffl
Just separate lobbys by rate ( actually there are 3 rooms for rm/dm ) then make

A first lobby range ::: 1400+ to 1600
B second one range ::: 1600 to 1775+
C third for 1775++ ( or whatever ranges u find more convenient )
PLS NOT.
If you 1600 - you will be either MOST ranked in lobby and room,or LEAST ranked. People wouldn't like to play with you,and you more likely to win in <1600 and lose in >1600 so you will be forced to change lobby every game.Imagine you want to play with a friend who has 50 points more than you,but you can't.

1 - This is exactly why people complain about NPL ban,they forced to find "matches according to rates" - and no one wants to play with them,and they LEAVE.
2 - There is other better options to separate lobbies and each one will help avoid overcrowding.
3,4,5 - EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE,people in NPL used to quit games before they win,so they not get banned from lobby,so it makes ratings less correspond to skill levels.That's where noob bashing rises - it's maybe not done by "pro" players,but it makes "better noob" to bash "super noobs" since they all have same ratings,and games become just gambling who will be your teammates and who will be against you.

I think people 1700+ doesn't experience this since they not in place of "noobs",and this sucks since their opinions evaluating by admins higher than opinions of "noobs",and admins themselves are probably not playing with noobs if they playing at all.Thus, decisions are made without taking into account opinions of "noobs" about how "noobs" will have to use this platform.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _snbka_

Posted 4 May 2020 - 4:17 am
untie the one who came up with all this...

despidan al que se le ocurrió ésta idea...
Link | Reply | Quote
 [mouz]jotita7

Edited 4 May 2020 - 5:56 am by [mouz]jotita7
PLS NOT.
If you 1600 - you will be either MOST ranked in lobby and room,or LEAST ranked. People wouldn't like to play with you,and you more likely to win in <1600 and lose in >1600 so you will be forced to change lobby every game.Imagine you want to play with a friend who has 50 points more than you,but you can't.

1 - This is exactly why people complain about NPL ban,they forced to find "matches according to rates" - and no one wants to play with them,and they LEAVE.
2 - There is other better options to separate lobbies and each one will help avoid overcrowding.
3,4,5 - EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE,people in NPL used to quit games before they win,so they not get banned from lobby,so it makes ratings less correspond to skill levels.That's where noob bashing rises - it's maybe not done by "pro" players,but it makes "better noob" to bash "super noobs" since they all have same ratings,and games become just gambling who will be your teammates and who will be against you.

I think people 1700+ doesn't experience this since they not in place of "noobs",and this sucks since their opinions evaluating by admins higher than opinions of "noobs",and admins themselves are probably not playing with noobs if they playing at all.Thus, decisions are made without taking into account opinions of "noobs" about how "noobs" will have to use this platform.

1. what is the problem in losing? u need to lose in order to get better
2. most ppl in npl dont want to leave just because they want to be top there (still when they are not improving really) facing weaker opponents.
3. intermediate lobby failed mostly because of point 2 ( its a parallel rate system nobody cares )
4. npl should never be banned, i agree. its basic psychology, which mods clearly ignore and the results show it -> should just be one more rated lobby (from 1200 to 1500 for example).
5. if u want to play vs a friend or different elo rated, just play unrated or use casual lobby.

u described all the flaws and nonsense things player do because of this system way better than me ( i didnt knew about that f***ed up things) . so thanks for giving me the reason : )
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ChaArg]Naki22

Posted 4 May 2020 - 4:57 am
Congratulations, you've ruined everything
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Kerala]Nexuskw

Edited 4 May 2020 - 5:03 am by [Kerala]Nexuskw
Why not separate rooms for 1v1 and team games?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Arcano]lautreamont_

Posted 4 May 2020 - 5:03 am
I think it is a good measure, especially knowing that it is taken on the basis of an empirical fact that is remarkable for the platform, the number of people who are currently playing on Voobly.

If it is a decision thinking about accessibility and good development for all players, despite the fact that changes always require adaptation, it is more than welcome.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Troy

Edited 4 May 2020 - 5:12 am by Troy
What do you guys think about something like this?

1v1/2v2 - MS RM/DM #1
1v1/2v2 - MS RM/DM #2

3v3/4v4 - MS RM/DM #1
3v3/4v4 - MS RM/DM #2

Need feedback.

Link | Reply | Quote
1[2]3456789
Displaying 16 - 30 out of 121 posts