Community Forums > Technical Support > Voobly Website / Voobly pagina web > How to download mods from browser (Linux)

How to download mods from browser (Linux)

falseteeth

Posted 29 December 2019 - 9:32 am
I run Voobly through wine. For the most part, it works great. However, using the built-in browser to install mods didn't work for me. No problem, I thought, I'll use a browser. When you try to do that, however, your browser will complain it can't open the link. There are several methods, including messing with your browser's config. The following is what worked for me.

I am not liable for any unforeseen damage to your computer. I am not a programmer. Use at your own risk. To my knowledge, these are the only steps needed, but I tried several different things first.

As an example, I will use the Light Grid Terrains mod for The Conquerors.
When you click Download Now, it is not a direct link to the file. If you look at the location bar in your browser, you'll see this:
Code:
voobly://client.voobly.com:17600/?service=Package&uid=0&session=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&arg=voobly.com**gamemods*13*Light[space]Grid[space]Terrains
Instead of https:// you have voobly:// . You may have seen something similar when clicking an e-mail address (mailto://) or opening a game in Steam (steam://) or downloading legal torrents (magnet://). This is called a protocol handler, and we need to install a custom one for voobly.

First of all, find your Voobly.desktop file. Mine was in
~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Voobly/. Copy-paste it to ~/.local/share/applications . Open the new file in your favourite text editor.

The file will start off with this:
Code:
[Desktop Entry] Name=Voobly

We need to edit one entry and add another one. At the end of the Exec entry, add:
Code:
%u
Then add another entry (I put it after Path, I don't think location matters):
Code:
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/voobly;
Don't forget to include the semi-colon.

Save the file.

That's it! Next time you click the Download Now button, it will ask you what program you want to open voobly links with. Click Voobly, and even if it's not already open, it should say it's downloading the mod. To check that they downloaded successfully, go to your game folder and open the Voobly Mods folder. Everything should be there.

If you use a Mac, I don't know enough about that system, but the answers you seek are most likely here: [You must login to view link] If the program RCDefaultApp still works, that is probably the easiest method.

Happy modding!
Link | Reply | Quote
 +VTech_WonderHD

Posted 1 January 2020 - 3:00 pm
Thanks for your contribution! Cheers ;good

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 2 out of 2 posts