Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Random Map > Playing for Years, But My Gaming Not Improving

Playing for Years, But My Gaming Not Improving

[TitansK]icelander007

Posted 14 June 2019 - 6:47 am
I have been playing for years now, but my gaming is not improving. Forever stuck in the Beginners Lobby. What is the secret?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Myzrael_

Posted 8 January 2020 - 11:01 am
maximize your scrool speed first and use hotkeys.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [_eSports]Andehh1

Posted 10 June 2020 - 7:25 pm
Build orders, hotkeys and watching replays/higher rated players to see how they cope with the common strategies! Youtube is great for tutorials as well.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +chris@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 11 June 2020 - 2:56 pm
I have been playing for years now, but my gaming is not improving. Forever stuck in the Beginners Lobby. What is the secret?
You will never improve if you continue playing in the NPL. You want to get better? Start playing in the Inter Player Lobby / MS Lobby with players of your rating.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Anik3t_

Edited 11 June 2020 - 4:03 pm by Anik3t_
Watch recorded games. That will be the best thing to do.
The most basic thing for you to achieve is having 0 idle TC time in Dark age.
Take a look on your advance times of your matches after every match and see are you going up a correct time like others.
Once you get regular good up times and 0 idle TC time then you have achieved the basic level and can compete with players a bit more.

P.S : I am a noob, take it only if you agree otherwise you can ignore.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [mouz]supercrack4

Edited 17 June 2020 - 10:18 pm by [mouz]supercrack4
1. have good keyboard mechanics ( hotkeys almost for everything including going to buildings, guarrison vils, etc )

2. have good mouse mechanics

3. good resolution ( not too far tho or will drastically reduce your apm)

4. try different tactics ( i mean everything, dr + wall + fc , dr + flush , towers , stright fwd fc ) just to know your strenghts and weaknesses + learning to know the game and adapt to situations . then choose your best builds.

5. know the game very well ( eco upgrades, when to boom / counters/ 3 tc push / walling etc)

6. read your map early (hills, gold, etc) to stablish game plan accourding to map and civ

7. scouting constantly the enemy. no scouting is the same as playing blind. knowing what army to make vs enemy army composition, if he goes full in or strong push to react fast is key.

8. learn to patrol your army

done to 19x

Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 14 June 2020 - 7:48 pm
1. have good keyboard mechanics ( hotkeys almost for everything including going to buildings, guarrison vils, etc )
2. have good mouse mechanics
3. good resolution ( not too far tho or will drastically reduce your apm)
4. try different tactics ( i mean everything, dr + wall + fc , dr + flush , towers , stright fwd fc ) just to know your strenghts and weaknesses + learning to know the game and adapt to situations . then choose your best builds.
5. know the game very well ( eco upgrades, when to boom / counters/ 3 tc push / walling etc)
6. read your map (hills, gold, etc) + scouting constantly the enemy. no scouting is the same as playing blind
7. learn to patrol your army

done to 19x

"( i mean everything, dr + wall + fc , dr + flush , towers , stright fwd fc ) "

what in the world is this 11
Link | Reply | Quote
 [mouz]supercrack4

Posted 15 June 2020 - 3:29 am
"( i mean everything, dr + wall + fc , dr + flush , towers , stright fwd fc ) "

what in the world is this 11

practice every tactic known and choose your best... scouts , dr + arch, fc or whatever
Link | Reply | Quote
 calexus5678

Posted 15 June 2020 - 3:29 pm
Work hard on your hotkeys.. start changing those things you do the same all the time
Link | Reply | Quote
 ['RB']ZottenDree

Posted 15 June 2020 - 8:50 pm
move to another game or go enjoy your life
Link | Reply | Quote
 Scalonicese

Posted 15 June 2020 - 9:46 pm
quit aoc forever better ;1thumbup
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:00 pm
+chris@voobly wrote:
You will never improve if you continue playing in the NPL. You want to get better? Start playing in the Inter Player Lobby / MS Lobby with players of your rating.
I tried this, now i die quicker lol
practice every tactic known and choose your best... scouts , dr + arch, fc or whatever
Yes but i wanted to know what those short form mean. ar dr etc
Link | Reply | Quote
 koandcul13

Edited 16 June 2020 - 5:26 pm by koandcul13
Few simple golden rules anyone could use to improve their game:

- Have the idle villager and idle military hotkey button in handy, press it often.
- Have town center on hotkey and keep produce villagers all the time.
- Try always to scout enemy to see what units he/she is doing.
- Best way to defend yourself is to attack the enemy at his home.
- On map for no early rush with 200-225 pop game try to go 3-4 town centers, in early game buy food or stone if you must and keep making villagers up to 100-150.
- Start the trade when you have safe route.
- In games with rush early, Flank (the player on side) goes usually for range units .Infantry could also be an option if your civ has some strong bonus.
- As a Pocket (player in middle) go for mounted units (scouts, knights, camels, maybe cav archers if your civ has some great bonus and eagles for meso ). As a pocket you also have to raid, which means to bully enemy's villagers and don't let them work and collect resources .
- With meso civ for middle-late game you make some eagles to raid and spread them all over enemy's base, meso civ are kinda best for raiding no matter if you are pocket or flank.
- Get blacksmith upgrades on units, for range units you first get the range upgrades and for melee units you first try to get the defensive upgrades.

Those were mostly for RM team games, for DM try to rush enemy as fast as possible and set building gather point to enemy base.

For CS & CBA try to not feed the enemy and give him too many kills early on, play strategic.

Use control groups with ctrl+1 , ctrl+2 and so on.

And almost most important one, have patience with yourself, because everyone can improve.
Code:
This was copy-paste
Link | Reply | Quote
 [mouz]supercrack4

Posted 17 June 2020 - 8:52 am

sc scouts
maa man at arms
fi fast imp
fl flush
dr drush
fc fast castle
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]lVl0NsT3lZ

Posted 17 June 2020 - 9:45 am
sc scouts
maa man at arms
fi fast imp
fl flush
dr drush
fc fast castle

Thanks, only person with 19+ in rm in this thread. Will sure follow your advice;thumbup

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 20 posts