Community Forums > Voobly General > Strategy Guides > Europe Random: By Benhouse

Europe Random: By Benhouse

ScreaMo

Posted 14 February 2011 - 1:40 am
Introduction to Europe Map:

Europe and the maps that have shaped it have been around for many, many years. It’s had hundreds of followers over the years, some of which turned out to be amazing Rm players (Jordan_23 for example). People find it fun, refreshing and most importantly, challenging.
Europe is played at fast speed, to provide a unique challenge for a map that combines Rm abilities, with Dm game play in Post-imp all on a CS map. The perfect combination, a skilful combination., the fun combination.
Europe is loaded with resources, yet you start with a Nomad type of style. The map always has the same layout, but the random factor (gives you a different position each game) makes it more fun, strategies more diverse and games more unpredictable. This isn’t an Rm map, it’s an Rmers challenge.

My background:
I’ve played CS for years, starting on MS Zone. I’ve played everything. Top level CS gaming, some Dm (being able to play at 17xx level with little trouble) and being able to play at 17xx Rm level, which doesn’t sound like much, but for a player who’s mainly a CS player, it felt pretty good.
Why did I get into Europe? I was looking for that new challenge. I tried Rm, and I found it to be too slow paced for my liking, but it was also extremely challenging which I liked. I tried Dm, and it had the speed which I liked, but it was the same **** over and over... Then I was introduced to Europe, which had been hiding in the bottom rooms of CS and in the unrated rooms of Rm. It had a cult following. Names like Uni, DayDream, Warcav, Snowz, Colin, Numba1 and various others.
I tried Europe out continually getting rocked by the players. Eventually the better players gave me some small tips, and I picked up things myself. I was happy to be on a winning team sometimes, and eventually over some time, I became pretty good.
I was unfortunate, since there were no guides and people liked to keep their secrets to themselves. One day, Uni approached me when he joined my clan [ViCiouS], and decided to help me out. He showed me a variety of strategies, teamed me in games willingly, even if I made him lose. Within weeks, I went to a whole new level. I cannot thank him enough for this.
So the idea behind this “essay” like paper is to introduce new players to the map, offer them the tips that took me too long to figure out, to test out, and to learn. This guide won’t reveal every secret, or even teach you the timing, the micro, the macro and the game sense and knowledge you will need, but it will provide short cuts, so you can compete at a reasonable level and stop players from kicking you out of the games for being too “noob” or for not knowing how to play at a decent level.

My 10 basic tips:

I’m sure a lot of Rmers already know of most of these, but some people will not. Here they are;
1. Hotkeys. Building hotkeys, unit command hotkeys, Unit creation hotkeys. All of these hotkeys cut down valuable time, allowing you to perform a large amount of actions at once, improve your economy and resources gain, or build a larger army in the same time as your opponent.
2. Don’t follow a set build-order. Why follow an experts build order if you don’t understand it, if you can’t perform it as quickly as they can in order for it to work, or for it to **** you up if you make an error, like losing a villager. Learn to gain a feel for the game, and to understand what will give you an advantage, and what it takes to implement a certain plan.
3. Learn to be aggressive, always trying to annoy the enemy. The map has a lot of water, and players can wall key choke points. You need to be able to outsmart an enemy, and putting them under constant pressure can help to make them panic, giving you the advantage and the ability to think out your next step more clearly than your opponent can think of their own.
4. Communication. Talk with your team. You won’t beat a team of 4 on your own. If you see an enemy forwarding, flash it and inform your allies. If you’re under attack, don’t scream help, let them know what’s happening, what they are attacking with, what sort of help you require (extra resources, army support etc.). Your resources are your ally’s resources. Your army is your ally’s army. Play smart, work smart together, you’ll win smart.
5. Look for the challenges, play against the tougher players. This is the quickest way you’ll improve, the best way for you to have fun. You’re not going to get better playing against someone who will hit Feudal Age in 18 minutes and only has 15 villagers. Play against people who will devastate you, and learn from it.
6. Do not panic. Ever. If there’s a problem and you panic, you will not think clearly and find an easy solution. If you do not panic, you’ll be able to analyse the problem easily, and find a solution. When you stop thinking, you’re losing control of the game.
7. Use those resources! Don’t just stockpile them. You shouldn’t have over 100 of a resource unless you are saving for a building, a technology or a special unit. If you have too much food, share with your allies. If you are making a navy and you have 600 wood, 80 gold and 4 docks, move some of those wood villagers to collect gold instead, to balance out your resources so you can use 4 docks, instead of 2 and a half docks.
8. Watch your recorded games. Find your errors. Observe what the enemy does that works well, find your weaknesses. Find your strengths. Try to work with these. Utilise your strengths!!!
9. Do not fight a battle you are going to lose. If you’re out massed in a navy war, pull back and build up, try to use your buildings as a natural distract for the enemy. Don’t be a hero and think you’ll be fine if you lose a small army, every unit cost something to make, and every unit can perform a task, even a spearmen or skirmisher.
10. Scouting. Walling. Observing. Find the enemy, look for any possible forwards, and look for their docks. Wall yourself if you’re going all out on water. Wall choke points so the enemy can’t raid your base from a different angle. Observe where the enemy is fighting, and try to find places where they are vulnerable and weak. Exploit these.

So you’re basically always doing something, not sitting idle disadvantaging yourself as well as your team. There are loads of tips I could go through, such as building fresh lumber camps to stop villagers walking as far and slowing down production. You should learn these things, if not already know these as you play more and more games. Here's just a few little things to get your mind thinking...

Good lumber camp placement:
You must login into Voobly to view image

Bad lumber camp placement:

Why? Because the villagers have to travel much further to drop off resources (I know the length is exaggerated, but you get the idea quickly).

No scouting:

Pro scouting:

See how much of a difference it is to keep an eye on your land? This map is more closed than your typical Rm games, and you only start with a sheep for a scout. So it's essential you keep an eye on where the enemy could forward.

Walling a choke point:

Not walling a choke point:

You lose less resources, it's easier to manage and defend. It's smart playing.

Lazy wood choppers:

Efficient wood choppers:

Same thing again, the villagers have less distance to travel to drop off essential resources. More resources in less time is always a good thing.

You can apply a similar example with Fish Boats, bad fishing:

Good fishing:

Why? Because these fishers are working close to the dock, not having to run around each other and wait to perform work. These are efficient fishers, and will harvest food quicker per number.

These are just some minor examples, and they can make all the difference. I'll also provide a bunch of recorded games of the top tier players playing the map.

I hope the guide is clear and concise, easy to understand. Any more questions feel free to fire them away. You'll find most of the better, experienced players in CS hosting Europe, as well as some in Rm. Happy gaming.

Records:

[You must login to view link] - 4 2k Rmers (N00bie/Denn = RoR_xConfessx, DrownedInAlcohol = Ares/Geen/Lawliet, Pantha = DayDream/Leon, L_Clan_Prayz = Baris)

[You must login to view link]

Featuring Uni/Travis (reign_Helm), Warcav (Charlie), and Denn

[You must login to view link] - Little pack featuring some good players.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Signalfire

Posted 6 April 2011 - 3:54 pm
Very good thread. The more people that see this, the better.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _BeastMode_

Posted 8 April 2011 - 7:29 pm
Maybe I will learn to be elite too!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Slenderblood

Posted 20 April 2011 - 4:35 pm
Great tutorial! But most of it seems like common sense to me :D new players should definitely look at this.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ScreaMo

Posted 26 April 2011 - 9:32 am
You can't teach people strategy and high-skilled game play through a written tutorial.

You can however encourage players to start using their minds when playing a certain map, show them some good play and some bad play illustrating why something can be good or bad.

Once a player can understand a map and what works/doesn't work, they will improve rapidly with practice.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _LC_Mau5_RTK

Posted 16 May 2011 - 2:29 am
You can teach them the start and they can copy it exactly

Thats how i began to learn RM

Just copied some pro players start untill i figured the rest out myself.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [_vA_]xMarch23x

Posted 16 May 2011 - 2:55 am
Pointless copying something you do not understand.
Link | Reply | Quote
 diablomasta

Posted 14 June 2011 - 8:43 pm
Sadly I remember all your tips. Wait.... I haven't played Euro in years, maybe I magically became good hahahaha.

I never see anyone hosting it in the CS lobby, I did enjoy this map a lot.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DZ]Dawzy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 5:37 pm
Was such a good map back on the zone and the community around it was quality! Still my favourite map of all time!
Link | Reply | Quote
 Stella_

Posted 29 November 2012 - 5:38 pm
Get hosting and playing it ! :)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 10 out of 10 posts