Community Forums > General > Suggestions & New Game Support > The New Player Lobby needs a rework.

The New Player Lobby needs a rework.

+[email protected]

Group: Server Administrator
Posted 11 February 2019 - 5:59 pm
Ok Chris time to explain.
Please restate question.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [sT]MassKilller

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 11 February 2019 - 7:17 pm
Please restate question.

What I see is a clear violation of regulations of NPL. That guy is point trader and basically bashing noobs in NPL. What are you doing about it. Dont tell me your system hasnt banned him so he is good to play for some time.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[email protected]

Group: Voobly Team
Posted 11 February 2019 - 7:43 pm
Please create a complaint in the NPL complaints section to report noob bashers and point traders.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pavel_Korchagin

Edited 11 February 2019 - 10:25 pm by Pavel_Korchagin
What are the exact criteria for players to play NPL games? What prompts for the NPL ban? It is not clear to me. It is based on rating or number of games played in NPL?

After several years' not playing, I returned to play some casual games. The total games I played are about 70 games. And I stayed at true 122x NPL level. Nevertheless, I'm banned two days ago from NPL. The auto NPL banning is bad in this case. I filed a NPL complaint and I've yet to receive any answer.

From the years of the past, Voobly staff should have learnt something. The value of Voobly is the community. You want the most players you can attain. So you want to attract more players to be around.
So you should create the environment for the players to stay and have some fun playing the game they like.

For the casual players, we may get time to play one or two games a day. We may just start out, may have been away from AoC for years and just come back. We just want to have some fun and care less about points and winning etc. We may never grow the skill level to play advanced players who play like 5-6 hours per day. Game is just a game. We do not care if we are called noob etc...

Now the NPL auto ban forces these players to migrate to the full RM MS lobby. More than 50% of the games are WK games that we can't play. Some of the RM hosts do not even take players with thin files. Sometimes we may not get any game after waiting for an hour or so. So we'll have to give up some days.

So how can players stick around to play at Voobly? We may consider other sites and play other games. Or just forget about AoC and move on again.

The last time I remember, Voobly staff trashed all the CS rating, game grouping, destroyed CS ladders. They wanted to find the perfect CS rating system. They promoted CBA and CBA Hero maps. This turned CS lobby to be a noob lobby. Then they trashed CBA and CBA Hero. It was a true disaster.
A lot of the very old CS players left all together and have not returned. The noob players got destroyed too. This is one of the reasons the CS lobby is essentially dead now.

I just hope Voobly staff learn something from the past and do not make the same mistakes again.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pavel_Korchagin

Edited 11 February 2019 - 10:29 pm by Pavel_Korchagin
Voobly staff, if you can, can you tell me about my skill level and this player?

https://www.voobly.com/profile/view/125174842/Ratings

Why this player is allowed to stay at NPL and I'm banned from NPL? This player has some way to play Turks a lot of games and got to IMP at 24 minutes. He bashed a lot of true noob players into quitting games with the shock effect. Of course this would not work with advanced players.

Should this player be banned from NPL?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Xynocast

Edited 11 February 2019 - 11:22 pm by Xynocast
My 2 cents:
Change the NPL to "Casual and New Players" Lobby where players can only see their own wins and losses and elo. And keep the ability to allow only certain range of elo in a game. And implement the "Team Wins" thing.

This would solve:
1. people who care about elo will go to CS or RM.
2. People who wish to play causal and fun maps can do so.
3. New players will not get kicked out of matches for being 0 gamers.
4. Resigning after team wins will not keep your elo low.

Seriously just hide the ELO, WINS and LOSSES in the NPL from other players.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[email protected]

Group: Voobly Team
Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:58 pm
What are the exact criteria for players to play NPL games? What prompts for the NPL ban? It is not clear to me. It is based on rating or number of games played in NPL?

It is based on these two factors:
1400 rating cap - New players cannot reach this quickly, they must win a lot. New players lose a lot.
700 game cap - Nearly 600 hours of play time. That is more than enough time to get acclimated to Voobly and to AOC multiplayer.

Other factors:
Rating manipulation - Point trading, resigning won games
Creating multiple accounts to try and beat the 1400 cap
CoC violations - Account sharing, in-game violations, etc...
For the casual players, we may get time to play one or two games a day. We may just start out, may have been away from AoC for years and just come back. We just want to have some fun and care less about points and winning etc. We may never grow the skill level to play advanced players who play like 5-6 hours per day. Game is just a game. We do not care if we are called noob etc...

1) There is no time limit. You can come back 2 years later and still be eligible as long as you are still within the restrictions above.

2) Your fun may not be what a new player might consider fun. You might be rusty, or you might consider yourself bad after a long break. But, new players will not appreciate when these veterans join their games and beat them up bad. You can simply join the MS lobby and play against other bad players. There are more bad players in the MS lobby than there are good ones; this is based on how ELO works. If a game is just a game, what stops you from playing in the MS lobby?

3) The NPL protects new players; this is our goal for the NPL. We focus on the lobby as a whole, rather than an individual basis. It is not a place for easy and casual games for all. It is a place where new players can escape veterans who want easy games.

P.S. When I say "you", I'm not directing it at you, I'm just speaking generally.
Now the NPL auto ban forces these players to migrate to the full RM MS lobby. More than 50% of the games are WK games that we can't play. Some of the RM hosts do not even take players with thin files. Sometimes we may not get any game after waiting for an hour or so. So we'll have to give up some days.

You have 2 options in this case. You can purchase WK or you can host non-WK games. We can't control how fast or slow people join your games.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Pavel_Korchagin

Edited 12 February 2019 - 12:29 am by Pavel_Korchagin
James, great answers, appreciate it.

Please remember that, most Voobly players come here for one thing, say 14, "Start the Game". We just want to play, to win or lose. This is the "fun" I was talking about. It is not fun to wait more than 1/2 hour trying to find game to play. This is why CBA and CBA hero were so hugely popular. Because these games can be played much faster. Even advanced players had to adapt to the new maps.

To be honest, I do not even want to stay at NPL for long. You know the pain partnering with fresh players who have no clues what to do. But it is not easy to find any game to play. There are just not enough low-level games played at RM MS lobby. I just hope you Voobly staff work harder to attract more players here and we can have more games started. Then you'll probably see more players migrate to other lobbies.
Link | Reply | Quote
 MsNyara

Posted 12 February 2019 - 5:31 am
My two cents is that with an ELO system you really don't need two different lobbies, the purpose of ELO is to effectively determine player skill and people who wish to play with people from a similar level can do so through some ELO range (which is already an available feature).

Having two separate lobbies with an unnecessary complicated auto-ban system is just trying to fix with patches an already silly and broken concept which is just driving away people from Voobly and greatly hurting people improving from newbie to experienced, as the middle way just plain doesn't have any coherent organization to support it. Realistically the only way for a previously NPL to play in MS is to stop playing multiplayer altogether, practice hard for weeks/months on single player and watching games for some time, which is super boring for most people.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [xCs]_TheBek_

Posted 12 February 2019 - 9:41 am
I played 10 games in npl and got banned 🙁
Link | Reply | Quote
 Blood_Drainer

Edited 12 February 2019 - 10:09 am by Blood_Drainer
I'm sorry, just as i mentioned that 'thank you for replying to us all' i get ignored? well not the first time as well, I wrote quite a long letter before some time before as well where nobody answered that either, but it seems to me you are trying to just shut me up, im asking so many questions, state so many facts and yet y'all just take one point, make up some hideous answer without even checking it and i state that with my other points again and YET nobody answers me, is that supposed to mean that im right? that y'all dont have any answers for it?
Well nvm, anyways thank you very much because that definitely decreased the amount of fun, games, time i am active on Voobly, so thank you very much :) hopefully many others get benefitted by this 'Voobly Redemption' as well
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[email protected]

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:26 am
I played 10 games in npl and got banned 🙁
You cannot play in the NPL if you are actively playing on the competitive ladders of the MS Lobby.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[email protected]

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:33 am
I'm sorry, just as i mentioned that 'thank you for replying to us all' i get ignored? well not the first time as well, I wrote quite a long letter before some time before as well where nobody answered that either, but it seems to me you are trying to just shut me up, im asking so many questions, state so many facts and yet y'all just take one point, make up some hideous answer without even checking it and i state that with my other points again and YET nobody answers me, is that supposed to mean that im right? that y'all dont have any answers for it?
Well nvm, anyways thank you very much because that definitely decreased the amount of fun, games, time i am active on Voobly, so thank you very much :) hopefully many others get benefitted by this 'Voobly Redemption' as well
We have taken note of your suggestions and explained to you, that our politics concerning the NPL Lobby is a different one and that we do not plan to change that. We also never said that you are wrong or right and we also never ignored you. All I said was, that those mods must be played in a different lobby than NPL, e. g. in MS or CS. Did I miss something or was there something I did not answer?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[email protected]

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:39 am
MsNyara wrote:
My two cents is that with an ELO system you really don't need two different lobbies, the purpose of ELO is to effectively determine player skill and people who wish to play with people from a similar level can do so through some ELO range (which is already an available feature).

Having two separate lobbies with an unnecessary complicated auto-ban system is just trying to fix with patches an already silly and broken concept which is just driving away people from Voobly and greatly hurting people improving from newbie to experienced, as the middle way just plain doesn't have any coherent organization to support it. Realistically the only way for a previously NPL to play in MS is to stop playing multiplayer altogether, practice hard for weeks/months on single player and watching games for some time, which is super boring for most people.

The concept of NPL does work 100% for the designed target group. People however never accepted the identical concept for more experienced players in the IPL. This is a problem indeed, as there is a huge gap between NPL and MS. But that's not really a NPL or MS problem. Without NPL, things would be much worse, since new players would have to start playing in the MS lobby when they come from Steam for example. We don't know what else could be done, since the same concept that works in NPL, is not being accepted by the players in IPL. If you have a better idea, please feel free to share. We however won't touch something that works, which is our NPL.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Deathcounter_

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:23 pm
I think you shouldn't immediately get banned when playing certain amount of games in MS Ladders. You should get banned if you would reach the criteria of having enough games in MS ladder AND then play 1 more rated game in NPL. I got banned even tho I didn't played there for months, which is nonsense. You can't host NPL tournaments, spectate friends who are new to the game, host unrated games for noobs etc.
Everyone should be allowed to host unrated rooms in NPL

Link | Reply | Quote
12[3]45
Displaying 31 - 45 out of 75 posts