Community Forums > General > Announcements > Clarification on new Tournament / Streaming Policies

Clarification on new Tournament / Streaming Policies

+Jineapple

Group: Technical Support
Edited 5 April 2017 - 12:48 pm by +Jineapple
What exactly are "commercial streamers"?
What happens if a "non-commercial" streamer turns into a "commercial" streamer? Are they required to take down VODs of previously casted games?
What is the point of barring any commercial streamers from these events? If the sponsor asks for that, it makes sense of course but I don't see why this has to be a general rule?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Straya]robo_boro

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 5 April 2017 - 2:14 pm
Commercial streamers are streamers working for company or who have contracts with another company and that are getting paid (revenue sharing) for streaming games on their own channel, for example Twitch, YouTube and their affiliated partners or other third-party companies.

Nearly every single YouTuber has a contract with YouTube/adsense for monitised videos.

Whether they make much money out of it is another matter.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +Jineapple

Edited 5 April 2017 - 3:38 pm by +Jineapple
That's easy. Imagine we host a great tournament and we want to stream all those games on Voobly Official Twitch Channel. We would have no viewers after a short time, if there were no restrictions for commercial streamers, as Voobly is completely managed and operated by volunteers. And without any viewers, none of our partners would be willing to sponsor a Voobly run tournament.

And now imagine, you are the host of a tournament and experience the same problem. How would you feel?

In the past we also had the problems, that some of our commercial streamers act like Leechers on Voobly. They take all your viewers, keep all the money themselves and then disappear again, until you host the next tournament. They do not contribute to the Voobly Community and most of them are not even willing to donate to the prizes pool. And you have the problem, that normal players are discouraged to do any streaming themselves, as they wouldn't even get a single viewer on their channel.

We want to encourage more players to stream on Voobly and we want them to participate in our tournaments and to have fun, and not to make money with the hard work of our volunteers and the tournament hosts.

At the same time, nothing stops commercial streamers to host their own tournaments on Voobly and then decide themselves, who is allowed to stream. :)

Okay, I understand the thought process behind it, but I don't think a blanket ban makes sense.
VO has had issues with covering Tournament games in the past, having other streamers help out, even if they make money off it helps exposure.
You also have to consider that in the last few months the supply of AoC to watch on Twitch has risen significantly. There are a lot more players streaming their PoV, Memb and T90 regularly draw a lot of viewers and there are the huge Escape Tournaments going on. I honestly kind of doubt that exclusive VCOM events will have such a huge draw. People want to watch their favorite streamers and that's often more important than the exclusivity of some tournament.
The focus should be therefore on building VO as a channel to watch. There are several possible alternatives/improvements, e.g. make earlier rounds open streaming, but keep (Semi-)Finals to VO streaming, ask commercial streamers for a cut of donations/sub money for streaming (But not the $150 upfront that no one is going to pay...).
Most of all, focus on getting a good roster of streamers for VO. There used to be the possibility of signing up as a community streamer or as a part of the core team. I have seen no such thing since the old team under SMB disbanded. I applied as a community streamer back then (only really got around to streaming once though), but I have heard nothing, the AoCZone forums used for coordination have apparently fallen out of use. First and foremost, I think the focus has to be to remake VO into a channel that a lot of people want to watch - exclusive VCOM tournaments can be a thing once that happens, but they won't help until that happens imo.

Commercial streamers are streamers working for company or who have contracts with another company and that are getting paid (revenue sharing) for streaming games on their own channel, for example Twitch, YouTube and their affiliated partners or other third-party companies.
And no, accepting donations / having a donation button on your Twitch also won't be a problem and we are totally fine with that.
Nearly every single YouTuber has a contract with YouTube/adsense for monitised videos.

Whether they make much money out of it is another matter.

That's correct, a totally different story.

So uhh... what exactly is different about that? The exact distinction remains unclear to me.

Link | Reply | Quote
 nhoobish

Posted 5 April 2017 - 4:00 pm
YouTube and Twitch do not pay or share revenue, they simply take a cut from your earnings as you use their platform to make that money in the first place.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +Jineapple

Edited 5 April 2017 - 5:31 pm by +Jineapple
Thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense. EGC seemed like a fairly "official" Voobly event, though I guess that's because it started before the new rules came into effect - I assume this will be more clear with future events?
Quote:
In the past, someone has tried to use our platform, to sell their own services and advertise their own web site and community, and even worse, they were using and also paying our own volunteers to achieve this - behind our back and with secret NDAs. Those NDAs have been leaked a couple of months ago. And sorry if I say this, but THIS is not acceptable and that's also the reason, why we changed our rules. Cause and effect.

Can you elaborate on that?

Could you still clarify who counts as a "commercial" streamer though? Who besides Twitch Partners would be excluded?
Link | Reply | Quote
 IamJeo

Edited 6 April 2017 - 11:20 am by IamJeo

We also plan to integrate YouTube and that Chinese Twitch (forgot the name) in our Voobly client, so streamers have the icon and are recognized as streamers.

This sounds enormously welcome. I assume the service in question would be [You must login to view link] where most of the chinese players stream.

edit: The clarification is sound and shows well argumented decisions that underlie these changes. Much endorsement, I am willing to give this change.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Eternals]PrIMeZ

Posted 7 April 2017 - 6:01 am
Quote:
[email protected] wrote:

We also plan to integrate YouTube and that Chinese Twitch (forgot the name) in our Voobly client, so streamers have the icon and are recognized as streamers.
;1thumbup
Link | Reply | Quote
 Wololo_Warrior_

Posted 18 April 2017 - 6:13 pm
Very nice!

1. Went and took the rising wave of popularity for the game looking at future possibilities for expansion and growth.

2. Got a little jealous of the streamers that had more viewers and were making more money streaming than the Voobly team and looked at how best to make use of the situation so Voobly could benefit.

3. Decided that instead of being thankful to the people that had been the major reason for the resurgance in the games, let's stick a few restrictions to make things harder for them to do what they have been doing so well to bring new players to the platform, most likely pushing those streamers to use HD and Steam more and more - pulling players away from Voobly back to where they came from in the first place.

This is going to go well!

Too excited to see how it all works out - sure, what's the worst that could happen right?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Wololo_Warrior_

Posted 18 April 2017 - 7:17 pm
:) kudos on the sense of humour - actually lol'd

I read it pretty well and can see what's happening / in the process of happening + just a matter of opinion as to what's best for all

Time will tell :)

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 9 out of 9 posts