Community Forums > General > General Discussion > As a Steam player, why and how should I move to Voobly?

As a Steam player, why and how should I move to Voobly?

CatGirl

Group: Standard Membership
Edited 28 April 2016 - 12:32 am by CatGirl
I've played AoK from the MSN Zone days and will love this game forever. When I lost my game disk, I remember my great grandma buying the AoK+AoC box set with a nice strategy guide for me on my b-day ;happycry but by then the Zone was dead and I only occasionally played online Gamespy, and then ****** before somewhat losing interest in the game (and the game CD..again) due to other things in life (moving, etc)--and it just wasn't the same without playing with friends on the Zone...

About a year ago I saw a sale for the HD version of AoE with the Forgotten expansion on Steam, and my passion was reignited! Since then AoE has been back in my life as my favorite game with thousands of hours now played on Steam.

My first impressions of the HD version were negative. Many of the changes in HD have made the game feel like its been vandalized rather than improved--not just because cosmetic changes such as removing the classic menu screens and resource icons make me feel nostalgic for how it used to be: the game is now full of problems and bugs, and is TERRIBLY unoptimized.. I sometimes get better FPS in modern first person shooter games than HD.

Anyways... I was about to get off on a very long rant but I'll stop here so this is readable ;mute

In short, I regret paying for the sacrilegious moneygrab that is the HD version and would rather be associated with Voobly than supporting that.

So how do I start with playing Age on Voobly? Unless I find my old game discs in some box in my basement, I won't have a CD to play from. I heard some talk of the HD version being supported with Voobly, but I don't know the pros and cons of setting that up~and I would still be stuck with the new sabotaged version instead of being reunited with the classic AoC I love so much.. I had briefly used a torrented no-cd version of AoC during my hiatus between ****** and Steam, but only played it in an offline virtual machine to medicate an attack of nostalgia. I'm more cautious of torrents now, and there seems to be no trustworthy and full version of AoC. Although I have the original soundtrack on CD, (yes I'm obsessed) I would want the real deal.

As a poor college student who can't currently afford to buy this game for a 4th time, what should I do?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[email protected]

Group: VCom Lead
Edited 28 April 2016 - 1:05 am by +[email protected]
Hi,

HD to Voobly guide:
https://support.voobly.com/display/vkb/KB1054+Clean+installation+of+Aoe2HD+with+compatibility+patch

If you have a problem or stuck at a step you can ask for help on forum or Help Room.

(if you want to keep HD hotkeys)

Known limitations:
- When playing on Voobly (in compatibility mode) not all Age2HD features will work. The major ones, such as, HD resolutions are supported through different implementations than in HD.
- Steam workshop mods won't work, however, you can instead use the Voobly Mod Center.
- You can cannot watch recorded games played in AoE2HD on Voobly and vice versa due to different game versions.

About hd vs voobly after some digging you can find lot of feedback from people on [You must login to view link].
Here is a good example:
Quote:
Depends on why you play, and how important certain features are.

HD is better if you want to play with new civs, new units, new buildings, new campaigns. If you are a casual player, and don't want to learn the 'metagame'. Also if you are willing to put up with a less then perfect game, which has a number of issues that vary wildly from player to player, but which can include, increased lag compared to voobly, the inability to spectate games in an efficient manner, sometimes dodgy recorded games, buggy patch releases that fix one problem, only to create a new one.

Voobly is better if you want to be a serious 'pro' player, learning the 'metagame' (build orders and the like) want to participate in prize supported tournaments, have a larger CS community, better features, including unlimited spectators, spec dashboard/overlay, aka ratings, a functioning clan system. But voobly comes with the cost of not being officially supported by microsoft, and not having the latest version of the Forgotten and completely lacking African Kingdoms.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Straya]robo_boro

Group: Gold Membership
Posted 28 April 2016 - 2:40 am
Quote:
Depends on why you play, and how important certain features are.

HD is better if you want to play with new civs, new units, new buildings, new campaigns. If you are a casual player, and don't want to learn the 'metagame'. Also if you are willing to put up with a less then perfect game, which has a number of issues that vary wildly from player to player, but which can include, increased lag compared to voobly, the inability to spectate games in an efficient manner, sometimes dodgy recorded games, buggy patch releases that fix one problem, only to create a new one.

Voobly is better if you want to be a serious 'pro' player, learning the 'metagame' (build orders and the like) want to participate in prize supported tournaments, have a larger CS community, better features, including unlimited spectators, spec dashboard/overlay, aka ratings, a functioning clan system. But voobly comes with the cost of not being officially supported by microsoft, and not having the latest version of the Forgotten and completely lacking African Kingdoms.

I wonder which wise man said that? ;flowers
Link | Reply | Quote
 [7th]AwakiNg

Posted 28 April 2016 - 2:43 am
Inbox
Link | Reply | Quote
 [bS']Socksyy

Group: Platinum Membership
Posted 28 April 2016 - 3:54 am
African kingdoms now supported on voobly now right?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Cavin

Group: Platinum Membership
Posted 28 April 2016 - 4:11 am
African kingdoms now supported on voobly now right?
NOT officially but yeah now you can play here using this [You must login to view link] converter.
Lobby: http://www.voobly.com/games/lobby/479
Link | Reply | Quote
 ssupercrackk

Posted 28 April 2016 - 4:20 am
1st . cuz i am in here
2nd. didnt read
Link | Reply | Quote
 [LyF]JimmY

Posted 1 April 2017 - 12:37 am
underated thread