Community Forums > General > Suggestions & New Game Support > Do not Remove Ratings - Flag System

Do not Remove Ratings - Flag System

+D0om

Group: Technical Support
Edited 30 October 2011 - 1:24 pm by +D0om
Well Rating is the only reason that me and my friends play on voobly instead of playing over LAN, so removing Rating System is not going to help you at all !
Quote:
I think they turn regular players into point obsessed lunatics and they are like a drug that many people are addicted to

This is what we are , Social animals , where there is Reward , there will be some greed.

There is always a better solution to a problem.

Solution 1:
Quote:
Personally I am at a point where I am considering removing CS ratings
You reached this point, because you were fed up with Regular Complaints regarding "Refusing to Continue" and/or "Points Trading" etc, and you were forced to take long investigation,Bans, Points reduction etc.

So what if MODERATORS have to play a small part in resolving such issues, and transfer this authority among all users. Well there is already an IGNORE/Watch List feature in Voobly , but that doesn't help in highlighting issues like "PT and Refusing to Continue".

I suggest you to add a FLAG button with different options on every user.

=> If some one uses abusive/foul language in lobby or game , users can Right Click on him . FLAG him as "Inappropriate"
=> If some one does not Continue game and makes other Wait, FLAG him as "Refuses to Continue"
=> If some one is known by other users that he is Point trading, FLAG him as "Point Trader"
=> If some one is known by other users that he Lags game , FLAG him as "Lagger/Slow Connection" [ i might be Flagged here :( ]
=> If some one is known by other users that he drops often , FLAG him as "Dropper"
and many more.....

Now if person reaches a certain amount of flags in his Playing period , he should automatically be BANNED(in extreme cases only) or his NAME COLOR/ICON/PICTURE in Lobby should be Changed to something different from others , so that other users can Identify him , and avoid playing with such a Player.

That system would be incomplete without actually displaying this information Openly, so "onmouseover" in lobby the FLAG information should be displayed on every User, like

Flag as "Inappropriate" -> 2 times
Flag as "Refuses to Continue" -> 3 times
FLAG as "Point Trader" -> 0 times
etc
That information will create an auto-awareness among the users , so they will avoid playing such Criminal Record players.

Now comes MODERATOR Role in FLAG system:

When a specific person is flagged , that information should also be submitted to a specific Department of MOD, along with the GAME Room information, so that a MOD can investigate before actually banning a person because of his HUGE Flags. This is only to maintain FLAG record, if someone at any stage asks for the BAN APPEAL etc.

This solution looks fairly Complex, but that would reduce the much load on Moderators out there, and would also allow us to identify the Black Sheep among us.

Solution 2:

Another way to solve the "Refuse to Continue" problem is to Launch an "Age of Empires - Voobly Edition" , which is coded in such a sense that , when a Voting Screen appears (when a person drops), majority of Votes should be counted (Democracy) , if 2/3 players are in favor of "Continue game" , game should Continue . As majority is Authority.

If in any case only 2 players are left , 1st wants to "Continue the Game" and the 2nd wants to "Save and Exit" , then the player with higher Score should have the authority during the Vote. if he decides to Continue the game , then game must auto-resume and vice versa.

I know this requires modification in CORE Age of Empires files, but there are some great Coders in Voobly Moderator Staff, who can easily manage this problem.

Other positive modification in "AGE 2 -Voobly edition" would also be appreciated.

I hope i am quite helpful in explaining my points to all of you, and you(Moderators) would take some necessary steps in Vobbly Development.

I am seriously not in favor of removing the Rating system from voobly for any Game.

Thanks

Link | Reply | Quote
 _LC_Jack_Knife

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 30 October 2011 - 2:27 pm
Hey m8, I do like the first idea but it would be hecktick if everytime someone lost to someone they would flag for stupid things like lagging and hacking. This would exclude a good player for no reason. Maybe try to make it to where mod has to approve the flagging?

On the second one i do like the idea i think the mods of been working on that problem for awhile now hopefully they'll come up with a solution soon. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 +D0om

Edited 30 October 2011 - 3:50 pm by +D0om
Quote:
If everytime someone lost to someone they would flag for stupid things like lagging and hacking

This why i mentioned in my earlier post about the moderator Role
Quote:
Now comes MODERATOR Role in FLAG system:

When a specific person is flagged , that information should also be submitted to a specific Department of MOD, along with the GAME Room information, so that a MOD can investigate before actually banning a person because of his HUGE Flags. This is only to maintain FLAG record, if someone at any stage asks for the BAN APPEAL etc.

Flagging some one would not result in Direct Banning , but a certain amount of LEGIT Flags should ALERT nearby Moderator! Moderators then can check these FLAG reports, and if they find it LEGIT , then they should think of Bans/Fines etc

It just saves time for users like us , to Post a Report on Forums , then wait for the Action , or even Call Mods in Chat to solve the problem.

Flag system will not Eliminate the "Refuse to Continue" Problem at once , but it will generate a list of users who act as bad/ugly/abusing Child during the Game play.

Step 1

In the beginning only Moderators should be Given the power to Flag a user for his his false behavior.

Step 2

If people get use to it , the power should be distributed among all users

Simple...

btw Thanks for the input!

Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Edited 30 October 2011 - 8:35 pm by Rambit
Solution one looks interesting, would like some more feed back on that.

Solution two is already in the planning phase. As you know when you play on Voobly your game version changes from 1.0c to the Voobly version. So we already have a 'voobly edition', we just need to modify the vote screen. How ever it is quite a big job and we don't have anyone with the ability and time to do it right now. We were thinking it would be a bit more simple than what you suggest, in that if one person continues game all the other players would automatically goto continue game if they are in fact connected to the game.

But as I have said, people will always find a way to cheat, no one saw this refuse to continue issue coming, and i'm sure there will be another thing to replace it once we patch it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _LC_Mau5_RTK

Posted 31 October 2011 - 5:43 am
Id flag people for fun.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BF_Basse

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:16 am
Id flag people for fun.

This would be a bigger problem than quitting/syncing/crashing/no continue is now
Link | Reply | Quote
 +D0om

Edited 31 October 2011 - 4:28 pm by +D0om
Quote:
Id flag people for fun.

Well you can Flag , whenever you want , but be cautious , as it may hit you back !

Currently if Someone reports about a person about his Cheating/Hacking/Point Trading/No Continue on this Forum , not every person is BANNED/BLOCKED on Voobly, after a report is filed , but every report is followed by some kind of investigation , like "Who reported it ?" , "What was the Cause of Dispute?" , "What game was actually affected?" and so on ...

Similarly Flags are just Indications , they will notify Moderators Statistically about a user behavior , instead of text reports most commonly seen over this Forum.

FLAG System is not new , you may have seen on other forums, websites like [You must login to view link] , facebook.com , it is running almost successfully ...
Quote:
But as I have said, people will always find a way to cheat, no one saw this refuse to continue issue coming, and i'm sure there will be another thing to replace it once we patch it.

Every system has flaws, FLAG system may have drawbacks too in future , but why worry now , it will be replaced by some NEW , more Advanced , more Safe and more Practical Solution. We just need to improvise,innovate and initiate a more better solution.
Quote:
This would be a bigger problem than quitting/syncing/crashing/no continue is now

This need to be 1st tested , then we can easily conclude , before its implementation , we can't criticize it .
As i have already suggested:
Quote:
Step 1

In the beginning only Moderators should be Given the power to Flag a user for his his false behavior.

Step 2

If people get use to it , the power should be distributed among all users
Link | Reply | Quote
 BF_Basse

Posted 31 October 2011 - 5:47 pm
n00bs would flag pros and accuse them for hacking (as they already do)
Link | Reply | Quote
 +D0om

Posted 1 November 2011 - 4:38 pm
BF_Basse wrote:
n00bs would flag pros and accuse them for hacking (as they already do)

Currently there is a Limit to Ignore/Watch List , when a person has reached the limit he can't Add more people to his IGNORE/WATCH List, only Gold Members can .

Same rule can be applied here , so FLAGS can't be exploited to a larger extent.

Noobs will some day become pro , and they will realise soon the Responsbility of Flagging someone for no Reason. ;smart

Link | Reply | Quote
 [UT]Fareith

Posted 1 November 2011 - 5:53 pm
I think this would just raise the workload on moderators, because every flag would have to be reviewed, with little to no proof submitted by the players. It would be very hard to prove that flags are correct or incorrect. Also, what if a play hates someone, and they get their friends to come and flag that player together? Would cause some big problems...

Link | Reply | Quote
 [s1L3nT]Lord

Posted 1 November 2011 - 6:08 pm
i dont think that the flag thing is a good idea :S
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Phobia

Edited 1 November 2011 - 7:06 pm by _Phobia
Flagging should only be done by mods...we can only trust them..thats it.
But it would mean a big load nd burden on the shoulders of mods...so thats upto them to use this or not.
Personally..just remove the ratings for some time..nd see..what happens
Link | Reply | Quote
 [_MD_]DaGhostInside

Posted 1 November 2011 - 7:28 pm
So if i hate someone i can take my 20 accs and flag him? Fun times!
Link | Reply | Quote
 +D0om

Posted 2 November 2011 - 10:50 am
Quote:
So if i hate someone i can take my 20 accs and flag him? Fun times!

So if i get banned i'll make 20 more Accounts, and we will play a FLAG war ... rofl ... another new Game on Voobly , The Flag War ... ! How about that ?

Making new accounts in order to Target a specific person and Flag him , you can still do that without the Flag System in place.

Make 20 + accounts , post in the Report Forum and Report that "Kingdoom" is a Hacker , some Moderator will take some Action , and will definitely find a SUSPICIOUS Game , which might result in his BAN . So no one is Secure on Voobly . So what do you suggest Voobly should Delete the "COMPLAINTS" Topic from its forum ? Only because people are reporting false reports ?
Quote:
Flagging should only be done by mods...we can only trust them..thats it.

This will be good beginning , after a person is found guilty , instead of DIRECT BAN , he should be Flagged by a Moderator , this will also serve as Warning to the that particular person and also to the persons of similar minds and deeds.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 14 out of 14 posts