Community Forums > General > Announcements > Voobly Supports Multiple Languages!

Voobly Supports Multiple Languages!

Solaris

Group: Voobly Promoter
Edited 17 November 2012 - 2:54 pm by Solaris
...and we need your help! Elusive has successfully implemented a very flexible language system that allows for translation of almost any page in the website, especially pages that are commonly used, and every page will be open for translation in the near future.

You can access the languages currently supported by Voobly by selecting the language you wish to use in the drop-down box located on the bottom-right of any Voobly page.

At the moment however, we are very short on staff that are able to provide translations for every language we cater to. And this is especially important if we want to increase exposure to more people in other countries that might not necessarily speak english.

So far we have implemented the support for the following languages:
  • Spanish
  • Turkish
  • Vietnamese
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Hindi
And we also need:
  • German
  • Russian

But there are other languages out there, and we would especially appreciate the public's help in improving support for these languages.

How do I help?

For starters, you can download a blank translation template that includes almost all of the currently translatable strings found in the website. This is a UTF-8 file, and it should remain in that format in order to ensure the correct characters get used.

The template file can be found here.
[ [You must login to view link] ]

A couple of things you need to consider when working with this template is that you:
  • Ensure that the document stays in UTF-8 (Use notepad++ with encoding UTF-8 to do this)
  • Note the format. " english string goes here|||translation goes here.
    • Anything before the pipes (|||) can not be changed. This is the device which assists in matching the correct string for translation. Unfortunately, even a small space can break this.
    • If the english version includes punctuation, include it in your translation.
  • be thorough and complete with your translation. Each translation will need to be checked for 'quality control', and the less work there is, the better.
  • be concise with your word selection. If the english translation is 2 words or less, you should try not to use any more than 3 or 4 to translate. But don't sacrifice clearness for space.

Possible Questions
  1. Q: What should each line look like?
    • A: English string|||Your translation here
  2. Q: Why can't I change what's before the |||?
    • A: This text is used to identify what text will be translated. Changing this from its original state will cause the string to be left untranslated.
  3. Q: What is VBML?
    • A: VBML (or Voobly Markup Language) is an in-house method of passing user data dynamically. When it relates to translations, you should leave these tags untouched and change only what is not enclosed in "< >" or "{* *}".
    • Example: <vbml:user id={*user*}> has changed <vbml:pronoun id={*user*}> name from {*oldname*}|||<vbml:user id={*user*}> ashay angedchay <vbml:pronoun id={*user*}> amenay omfray {*oldname*}
  4. Q: How long will it take to make my submission public?
    • A: This depends entirely on the accuracy of your translation. If you submit a translation that someone else has deemed inaccurate, your submission may not be accepted.
  5. Q: Will I receive credit for my work?
    • A: Although your translations will become the property of Voobly, there is a possibility submission authors will be credited somewhere in the future. In either case we greatly appreciate your time and interest in helping to improve Voobly as a community.
  6. Q: What if I need to change my submission?
    • A: Contact a member of the staff and pass your changes along. They will be included in future updates if accepted.

Once you have completed your translation and you think you are ready to submit it to us for use, paste your translation in a [You must login to view link]. Your UTF-8 encoding should remain intact. Once you have done this, share your translation with us so that we can use it.

We appreciate the support of the public, and we especially appreciate the support provided by bilingual or multilingual members who are willing to assist us in making our community and services more accessible to the world.

Permanent documentation for this aticle can be found in the Help Center under Voobly Language Support.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BuriedInVerona

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 4 August 2011 - 2:33 am
No Chinese?
Link | Reply | Quote
 Solaris

Edited 4 August 2011 - 3:17 am by Solaris
We have not had anyone submit a chinese translation. If you want to help out, we'd love the assistance. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]Noted

Posted 4 August 2011 - 6:12 am
Can I contribute for arabic language? ty
Link | Reply | Quote
 [I3acI]__eT__

Posted 4 August 2011 - 6:17 am
[ A ]Noted wrote:
Can I contribute for arabic language? ty

sure you can. altho im working on it
you can send to me your translation and i will match the best strings 2gether and use the best translation out of mine and your translation :)

thank you for your help in advance
Link | Reply | Quote
 XxplayXx

Posted 4 August 2011 - 7:45 am
Can I do Indian and Urdu? I know both.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Solaris

Posted 4 August 2011 - 7:47 am
Absolutely. :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 XxplayXx

Posted 4 August 2011 - 7:49 am
It might take a little time
Link | Reply | Quote
 Solaris

Posted 4 August 2011 - 8:01 am
I would work first on Indian, since we don't have anyone currently working on that. Urdu can come later if you want to spend more time on it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Solaris

Posted 5 August 2011 - 6:18 pm
We need more help supporting new languages! If you know a second or even a third language that could be added to the list in the first post, please give us some of your time and translate!

Show some <3 for Voobly!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DZ]_HERACLES_

Posted 6 August 2011 - 2:46 am
i guess by indian u meant hindi......

hindi is not at all an easy language to comprehend......would be nice if u can do the translastion
Link | Reply | Quote
 xBlue_

Posted 6 August 2011 - 1:01 pm
Good Job Voobly Staff! :D
Link | Reply | Quote
 Guess

Group: Game Moderator
Edited 6 August 2011 - 1:13 pm by Guess
Solaris wrote:
We have not had anyone submit a chinese translation. If you want to help out, we'd love the assistance. :)

I am doing it half way up to 100.

[You must login to view link]

If you find any line could be translated in better wording, suggests / comments are extremely welcome
Link | Reply | Quote
 [I3acI]__eT__

Posted 6 August 2011 - 1:16 pm
we need Italian translation as well.
if anyone can do that :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 xBlue_

Posted 6 August 2011 - 1:21 pm
I have a doubt how i used this?
i have this
{*text*} <a href="{*url*}">Read more.</a>|||{*text*} <a href="{*url*}">Read more.</a>
and i have change like that?
{*text*} <a href="{*url*}">Read more.</a>|||{*le texte*} <a href="{*url*}">Lire la suite.</a>
this is french.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]234567
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 103 posts