Community Forums > Games > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > First game online, just got my ass kicked. Any tips for a newbie?

First game online, just got my ass kicked. Any tips for a newbie?

KieronStephens

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 16 July 2011 - 2:53 pm
Hi, since I usually beat my friends at this game i thought id give playing online a go. As the title says, I did terribly. The other teams just grew so much faster than I did so i struggled to keep up in the ages, meaning I had no money or military units to defend myself with when I got attacked.

So do any more experienced players have any tips for growing an economy as fast as possible?
Link | Reply | Quote
 silver_beard

Posted 16 July 2011 - 3:09 pm
hi
get some recordings of maps you like play. watch the builds and tactics.
practice and copy them.
[You must login to view link]
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]____Tom____

Posted 17 July 2011 - 4:03 am
Don't bother learning a game so late in its life. It will only end in wasted time and pain.
Link | Reply | Quote
 KieronStephens

Posted 17 July 2011 - 6:09 pm
Don't bother learning a game so late in its life. It will only end in wasted time and pain.

The game is still going strong after all these years because it has a strong cult following. Chances are it'll still be going years from now just like counterstrike =)
Link | Reply | Quote
 Counterx

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:23 pm
Well If you are low on suppies make more chop alot of wood. Sell it for any thing you need.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [EIF]Bolt_

Posted 18 July 2011 - 8:17 pm
Counterx wrote:
Well If you are low on suppies make more chop alot of wood. Sell it for any thing you need.

lol no.
go to [You must login to view link] and make an account and have a look around. should help.
Link | Reply | Quote
 24masta

Posted 19 July 2011 - 7:07 pm

Its a game :O

Some of us play primarily for fun.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]____Tom____

Edited 21 July 2011 - 1:45 am by [ViCiouS]____Tom____
24masta wrote:
Its a game :O

Some of us play primarily for fun.
I play only for fun. I don't have fun losing without a chance at winning, and that is essentially what this guy will have for at least 50+ games and perhaps more.

But hey, maybe the guy will have fun learning this game competitively. I just don't see it thriving in the coming years, so it would be a waste of time for me.
Link | Reply | Quote
 patroll

Posted 21 July 2011 - 1:48 am
this game has a good few decades left in it yet, theres still plenty of new players starting out playing everyday
classics never die out
Link | Reply | Quote
 UnplumbedYew

Edited 6 August 2011 - 4:22 am by UnplumbedYew
Loads of good stuff here:

Read up on build orders, especially for flush and fast castle. Also learn booming..

More here too:

..and here's some more :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 c0ncept

Posted 6 August 2011 - 3:16 am

This isn't good advice.

I recommend watching recorded games like someone a few posts above me said. Also, learn your hotkeys. They make life much easier.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Rambit

Group: Voobly VIP
Posted 7 August 2011 - 10:33 am
Give the custom scenario lobby a go, you will learn part of the game while getting a few wins under your belt along the way.
Quote:
But hey, maybe the guy will have fun learning this game competitively. I just don't see it thriving in the coming years, so it would be a waste of time for me.
People have been telling us for years it is a dying game, but it is growing.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [RKS]Asbek

Posted 7 August 2011 - 10:50 am
Man, Look Some Recs, Join atsomeclan that you liked and themost Imporant Thing Have Fun.
Link | Reply | Quote
 +[ViCiouS]MiCh_

Group: Game Moderation Lead
Posted 8 August 2011 - 1:51 am

:(
Link | Reply | Quote
 Ox_Weapon_xO

Posted 8 August 2011 - 2:53 am
It depends on how you look at it. For instance, more and more people joining the custom scenario rooms and sticking with the trend of playing CBA, CBA, and CBA means this game as pretty much died in terms of the variety that once existed.

My advice. If you want to waste your time watch recordings of how people play/look up rm/dm strats on the google. You're better off playing in the custom scenario rooms if you want to learn quick though...yet again there's a lot of hate towards noobs so you'll have to be very patient for people to help you. There are also some strategy guides on here somewhere in the AoC forum. The game is fun if you get good at it but like Hippo said playing without a chance in hell of winning is truly pointless if you want to do it for fun. I'd also suggest maybe trying to play a couple games in the AoK rooms. I played a guy in RM over there and I almost died of laughter when he said at the end of the game that he was the best in AoK at rm and he had no idea how I beat him...when I used to play I didn't play rm at all...I suck at rm. So you may have an easier time in those rooms but for the most part I'd go with the AoC Custom Scenario room.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]23
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 34 posts