Community Forums > Voobly Community > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Random Map > How can a massive Elite Janissary army be countered?

How can a massive Elite Janissary army be countered?

TheAnyKey

Posted 8 December 2010 - 7:33 am
I just played a full random game. I had Vikings, he had Turks. I weakened his eco severely with a main force of scouts and had him pretty much down in feudal.

When I reached castle age he asked me to wait and let him catch up, so that he can rebuild his eco and create an army. So I waited.

After over 17 minutes later he reached castle and much later imperial age. I waited for his attack.

He finally came with a huge army of Elite Janissarys and Hussars as blocker. I was at max pop with loads of Berserkers and Champs. The Janissarys killed them all within moments.

I then tried mass Skirms and light cav, but with their 22 damage, Elite Janissarys kill skirms just as easily.

I threw masses of every unit at them, champs, elite berserks, light cav, cavaliers, Skirms, pikes, onagers. They just were unstoppable.

Can huge amounts of Elite Janissarys be countered in post imperial age? Can Vikings counter them?

What can be done against masses of Elite Janissarys?

Thanks.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]EyeZz_

Posted 8 December 2010 - 1:44 pm
Onagers are important, you need to micro them efficiently and protect them properly. Mixing in Scorpions also helps. The rest should be trash units (Scouts + Skirms/Pikes always works well) so you conserve your gold and deplete his own supply.

But allowing anybody to boom untouched with a power civ like that is asking for trouble lol.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [INoV]CarlosFerdinand

Edited 9 December 2010 - 3:16 pm by [INoV]CarlosFerdinand
Other units: Arbalests, HCA, Elite skirms, Paladins, EEW(preferably Mayan ones), Elite Husks, and archer UUs like EliteLongbow, EliteMangudai, Elite Conqs, Elite ChuKoNu, Elite plumes, Elite woads.

These are counters to Elite Janissary I listed above.

Vikings can easily crush Elite Janies + Hussars with Arbalests.

Elite skirms also own Elite Jannies but hussar owns them so you'd have to use a hussar killing unit like pike/champ/EBerserk.
Link | Reply | Quote
 a_man_apart_

Posted 21 December 2010 - 1:07 pm
it is quite difficult to stop turk on late imp with vikings.

you need a mix of scorpions pikemens and 2\3 onagers

but very hard to micro when the game lag

without doubt in 1v1 would win viking for the speed of eco, but in tg land nomad i bet for turks are unstopable
Link | Reply | Quote
 StorM_Country

Posted 30 December 2010 - 6:38 pm
Siege, mass cavs, mass archer line or equivilent UU's...mixture of both is good...especially mass cav with some siege (onagers/siege onagers, even add in some rams to take the dmg)
Link | Reply | Quote
 StorM_Country

Posted 18 January 2011 - 2:53 pm
_Faith_ wrote:
Try building mass rams/pikes and a few onagers/skirms. Turks aren't terribly versitile and once they run out of gold it's usually over for them. The key unit here being Siege Rams protected by pike. If you dont have gold for onagers grab groups of 6 skirms to target individual janissaries behind their lines. You should be able to get about three groups of 6 skirms on a killing rotation.

Most proficient turk players are also able to beat scorp/alb combos pretty easily so be careful how you use your gold.

Its a thread on how to beat massed Jans, not massed turk army, so why do you need pikes to protect rams if there's no hussar's, plus pikes will not kill Jans and since u only mentioned Rams as other unit im guessing jans will rape your army...you need anti jan units, the point of having rams in the mix just like vs any other massed ranged unit is to draw the fire onto the rams since they have such high archer armour, jans included and they'll last a long time while ur cavs, arabs, siege or other UU clean up.

Also no offense but anyone over 1500 will run you over while your trying to sort your skirms into groups of 6 for your "killing rotation", sounds like you play vs the computer only? if so thats fine, but it doesn't apply to online gaming, you'll see that if you play online, post reminds me of Cortez from the IGZ forums
Link | Reply | Quote
 StorM_Country

Posted 18 January 2011 - 2:56 pm
the best to counter them with is with elite skirms.

For cost effectiveness your probably right, but 40 elite jans vs 40 elite skrims the jans will clean up with their 22 damage, now if u keep pumping skirms you'll eventually win, but if u want to clean up fast and push to win before he starts massing hussars, bomb cannons and bomb towers you need to use gold units also, if you run out of gold then sure, start spamming a trash army...jans alone will die badly to massed siege, just like any single unit army, H scorps, siege onager, siege rams...if turks add bomb cannons/towers then it starts to get complicated. You can spam massed pala (70+) but turks can add in H camels and with bomb towers at 8+5 range and elite jans, it'll be tough...basically what im saying is :) its situational, every unit has a counter or possibly many, the best one depends on the situation and only experience will teach you what.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Lone]Zoomorph

Edited 23 January 2011 - 8:19 am by [Lone]Zoomorph
Longbows, Skirmishers, Huskarls, Seige Onagers, War Wagons, Plumed Archers, Arbalests, War Elephants, Chu **** Nu, Paladins, Eagle Warriors, etc.

/thread
Link | Reply | Quote
 [UWW]Thunderwolf

Posted 11 February 2011 - 9:01 pm
Longbowmen
Link | Reply | Quote
 41Fan_Of_IoRi

Posted 10 March 2011 - 1:02 pm
anti range units get devasted by janissary , zoomorhp fake rated rook should know that.basically ew, huskarl is useless. best way to beat turk is arbalest+skirm mix+onagers and maybe some more army support.janissary basically kills almoust everything so therefor onager*cannon* archery unit type selection is best way.. eew or huskies will die instantly to janissary LOL dont ever do that
Link | Reply | Quote
 2stoned2play

Posted 25 April 2011 - 3:53 pm
Mass archers and rams with vikings. Some pikemans to counter hussards. Rams must be close to janissaries so they will shoot on them when you're killing his janissaries with archers.
I got success with this combo against turks many times.
Link | Reply | Quote
 CSA_R_Tyler

Posted 26 April 2011 - 1:24 am
Yes, without a doubt, Arbs + Onagers + Rams = Victory. Skirms also added. Test to see if he has ballistics with a cav, if no ballistics I would be patrolling cavaliers while massing arbs/skirms.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _SiNiSTeR

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:33 am
WITH VIKING U DO ARBS/SKIRMS/RAMS
Link | Reply | Quote
 [INoV]CarlosFerdinand

Posted 26 April 2011 - 4:34 pm
Elite husks and elite ew of maya owns janies/hc.

Arbalest + elite skirm + siege ram must be the way to go as prodigy told.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [INoV]John_Mendl

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:25 pm
Arbalests are the key... Turks have a hard time countering them.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]234567
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 95 posts