Community Forums > Technical Support > Game Support: all game related problems > AoC on voobly in linux (complete guide)

AoC on voobly in linux (complete guide)

[LyF]karyk

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 6 October 2016 - 5:18 pm
NOVAinc wrote:
Hi everyone. I have been trying to use voobly on Ubuntu for a while now. It used to work perfectly smooth in the past (even though I didn't know how to make it open the game). Now that I found how to make it launch the game I tried installing it again on Ubuntu 16.04 using wine staging 1.9 and it installs fine and can launch the game. HOWEVER, joining the lobby is increeeedibly slow, taking from 10 to 15 minutes of waiting (the window is unresponsive meanwhile). Has anyone had this issue these days? Is there a solution?
No idea... never seen anything like this. I just played some games in wine-1.9.18 (Staging) on Arch and no problems.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Nano_Byte

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:10 am
Hey guys,

I'm new to voobly intending to get rid of the steam-based HD connection-problems etc.

I managed to install AoC and patching it, i can launch the game, but i cant launch a single-player game (at any resolution). Attempting to start the game it says 'an Error occurred, trying to launch the game'.
Nor 1.0c or 1.4 work this way.

Any Solutions?
Greetings
Nano
Link | Reply | Quote
 [LyF]mc_zuper

Posted 14 February 2017 - 4:33 pm
karyk your explanation is excellent obviously a deal of time and effort went into this. I read a couple of other pages on AOE for Linux without success. Your explanation worked very well for me. I had a couple of very minor struggles
I copied across an existing AOE file from another PC when I lauched voobly I could not navigate to the age2x1.exe; by moving the AOE directory into the windows directory i.e. on the emulated C drive ("dosdevices") I could then 'see' the age2x1.exe via voobly.

Second minor point i was a little confused by the bash file part. (I guess these are like batch files in Windows??) anyway I abandoned this and copy this into terminal in order to launch voobly each time

cd /home/nathan/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Voobly/ && export STAGING_WRITECOPY=1 && /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine voobly.exe

This message is more to say thanks than anything else....

Thanks!

Nathan
Link | Reply | Quote
 Tatya_Tope

Posted 17 February 2017 - 7:33 pm
Did you found the solution to 7?
Link | Reply | Quote
 kevintosh

Posted 8 March 2017 - 7:38 pm
Hi Friend! I just expanded your guide to work on a Mac, and posted it here:

http://www.voobly.com/forum/thread/261478

It would be nice if mods could make it sticky just as your thread.

Regards!

Link | Reply | Quote
12[3]
Displaying 31 - 35 out of 35 posts