Community Forums > Games > Age of Empires II: The Conquerors > Windows 8 problem AoC crash

Windows 8 problem AoC crash

Insaniac

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:38 pm
Hi,
I recently bought a new computer with windows 8 and I'm having problems with AOE conquerors which keeps crashing. All the computer tells me is that AOE has stopped working. I've searched the internet for solutions and found one solution that almost seems to work, which is adding some command lines to the target of the shortcut for aoe, this has been described on the following pages: [You must login to view link]
[You must login to view link]
and also on this voobly page (which however seems to apply for aoe the kings and not the conquerors): http://www.voobly.com/pages/view/59/AoE2-Command-Line-Parameters-

Now I encounter no problem while starting aoe conquerors by using the shortcut key on my desktop, however when starting aoe through Voobly the game still crashes, my guess is that this happens because voobly opens aoe from some other location than the desktop shortcut icon(one of the command lines is "NoStartup"-video which i don't get while opening it from the shortcut on my desktop which however still appears when Voobly opens the game in single player mode).

How can I get Voobly to open AOE the same way so that the game doesn't crash?
Extremly greatful for any suggestions so that I can start playing this great game on Voobly again:)
Link | Reply | Quote
 +kitt

Group: Systems Operations
Posted 18 March 2013 - 5:45 pm
The game installed similar to this for Vista/ W7/ W8 64 bit.C:Program files[86]/Microsoft Games/Age Of Empires11/
install the game as admin, in compatibility mode for xpsp3.

windows8
Some find using compatibility mode for w98 or w95 works better. Try all if having a problem
Link | Reply | Quote
 Amplus

Posted 27 March 2013 - 4:47 am
Where you able to get this fixed? I am having the same problem.
Link | Reply | Quote
 GregStein

Group: Gold Membership
Edited 7 June 2013 - 7:19 pm by GregStein
Get the portable version of the game.There are higher chances that it would work since it doesn't need installation. If you don't know where to find it, pm me and I will send you a link.
Link | Reply | Quote
 cloninh0

Posted 28 June 2013 - 4:54 am
tengo el mismo problemaaaa!
Link | Reply | Quote
 SimbaRules

Posted 30 June 2013 - 1:26 am
I have found using Win8 that XP SP3 compatability mode works for about 50% of the time. In other words 5 out of 10 games will finish while the other 5 will crash and AoC not responding half way through the game.
However, using Win8 in Win98 compatability mode the game never crashes and works fine. However, note that if you toggle out of the game to your desktop during a game then the when you toggle back to the game the screen has gone black but you are still in the game with the sound clearly heard. You cannot however recover the screen until you close AoC window!!
You can however toggle out of the game with XP compatability mode with no problem returning the game from the desktop when you toggle back....weird...take your choice!
Link | Reply | Quote
 nick10247

Posted 10 July 2013 - 3:56 pm
i have the same problem, nothing works. anyone has help ???
Link | Reply | Quote
 Spak8

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:53 am
SimbaRules wrote:
I have found using Win8 that XP SP3 compatability mode works for about 50% of the time. In other words 5 out of 10 games will finish while the other 5 will crash and AoC not responding half way through the game.
However, using Win8 in Win98 compatability mode the game never crashes and works fine. However, note that if you toggle out of the game to your desktop during a game then the when you toggle back to the game the screen has gone black but you are still in the game with the sound clearly heard. You cannot however recover the screen until you close AoC window!!
You can however toggle out of the game with XP compatability mode with no problem returning the game from the desktop when you toggle back....weird...take your choice!

Thanks Win98 compability makes AOC run stable! But having no possibility to toggle out annoys me. Especially when hitting the windows-button by mistake. Is there any solution?
I am using Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit. Turning back to Windows 7 is no option.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Spak8

Posted 1 August 2013 - 8:01 pm
Spak8 wrote:
Thanks Win98 compability makes AOC run stable! But having no possibility to toggle out annoys me. Especially when hitting the windows-button by mistake. Is there any solution?
I am using Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit. Turning back to Windows 7 is no option.

Okay use the window mode.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Ryan_

Group: Gold Membership
Posted 2 August 2013 - 9:05 am
Instead of just posting things that confuse the one who has made this thread requesting for a solution, guys just make another thread to solve your own issues. Thank you.
And kitt if possible could u please talk to chris about making these threads answerable to only the tech department. You know the reason why i am saying this.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [1x1]_only1x1_

Posted 10 August 2013 - 6:17 pm
u can try load dual boot system. I use windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and windows xp sp3 32 bit. I use xp only play aoc. u dont know how to load dual boot look google ;)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [LOLstrat]zabi

Posted 21 January 2014 - 9:04 am
Was having the same problem..tried so many possible things and i dont know what worked out at the end..its working fine now..!! :)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [UB]FinnBalor

Edited 1 November 2014 - 6:15 pm by [UB]FinnBalor
If you have a technical issue, please make a thread in the tech support forums
http://www.voobly.com/forum/view/524
Link | Reply | Quote
 KPS_AppleZ_

Posted 24 August 2015 - 4:20 am
I am having the same issue, so win98 mode works?
Link | Reply | Quote
 +Cavin

Group: System Operator
Posted 11 September 2015 - 3:51 pm
Use the recommended game-room settings; your crash and other small unknown issue can be sorted:

For general note about Compatibility mode:
  1. Windows 8 & above users choose Windows XP (SP3).
  2. Windows 7 & below users choose Windows 98/Windows Me.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 19 posts