RM changes discussion thread

[Secret]JorDan_23

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:37 pm
Over the past years the system for AoC has always been the same. In Zone, in Gamepark, in IGZ and now in Voobly. In every gameclient we had the problem of people sitting on their ratings and abusing the system unfearfully. Players using smurf nicks to avoid facing equal players once they have reached a high rating they are proud with to be able to sit there as long as the gameclient is alive. Players playing against rated-lower players with low-rated-players cooping them to accelerate the rating addition and thus achieving their potential fake higher ratings much faster. Especially on the top level it is annoying to have players claiming a certain spot forever just because people hardly find any games there and thus the Top 20 seems kind of stuck. It is time to change things and improve the overall system. It is time for a decay system. People over 2k1 will be forced to play at least 3 games in 2 week periods to maintain their spots. Ratings should show the skill level of each player and a player over 2k1 should fight for his rating to prove he is worth it. It will bring much more vitality into AoC again and it will also boost the competition between the top players which will lead to great recorded games as rated games will be automatically recorded for all games above a rating of 2k1.

It's time to move on. It's time for a DECAY SYSTEM.
Link | Reply | Quote
 _IamChris

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:03 am
Jordan is absolutely correct.

The rated system has been completely flawed for years. You can use low rated partners to get high ratings. You can have low rated friends coop your games to lower your average rating. You can choose to play opponents you know you will beat.

You can get a rating once and it is yours forever by never using that account again. Even if you do it in illegitimate (but not so bad you will get banned) ways.

The top 100 players right now are probably 40 or 50 guys, 25 (very optimistically) of who are active. The top 20 players should be 20 different players who are at that skill level at the time.

This system will promote competition, provide recorded games of top players for the community, make it easier to find games, make the ratings more accurate, and prevent all the past abuse.
Link | Reply | Quote
 BugA_the_Great

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:06 am
I agree with points [You must login to view link], just pleaaaase remember to store players` highest ratings first (and update it later, if beaten), like "personal best" in player`s profile, or something like that.

Someone also suggested storing "games played at position #1", check the [You must login to view link] for more details.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Secret]TheViper

Edited 12 December 2012 - 12:10 am by [Secret]TheViper
Hi, I completely support these obviously!

My honest opinion is that this will be hugely positive for the RM community, and especially the higher level and competetiveness of the top players. It will decrease smurfing, create a bigger competition for the top spots, and not to mention a lot of more recorded games.

We forgot to add one thing to our post on AoCZone, which I will write here:

6. Rated games of 2100+ will have Record Game forced on.

Let's make the RM competition more interesting guys?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [RoR]xBzHx

Edited 12 December 2012 - 10:03 am by [RoR]xBzHx
3. A decay system will be introduced such that every players above 2000 rating in either ladder will have to play 3 games on that ladder every 14 days to prevent them from losing 25 points to decay.
3. Decay to ONLY effect players above 2100 rating, and stop at 2100 rating. But you must play 3 games every 14 days or -25 points will be decayed. This makes a LOT of sense for top players above 2100.

So will it be 2000 or 2100 ?

4. The RM - 1vs1 ladder will be reset.
4. Again self explanatory. This will be to clear all the incorrect games played on that ladder and insert some more urgency for players to use it again.

There are actually no incorrect games played on that ladder since it rates only 1v1's, I don't get why this one shall be reseted and not the general one.

I suggest to freeze the current RM ratings and rename it to "RM - General - OLD" and "RM - 1v1 - OLD" like it has been done for AoK and AoC-CS, and start using the new system with fresh 1600 ratings on both ladders. (And the same thing could be done for DM Ratings imho, but this is off-topic)
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Blackmore

Posted 12 December 2012 - 6:48 pm
6. Rated games of 2100+ will have Record Game forced on.
I think, better force it for all rated games, not just 2100+.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Benzin_

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:59 am
I write here too, what i wrote in AoCZone:
Reseting 1v1 ladder and renaming RM-General to RM-Teamgames in this way makes no sense. After this change RM-Overall still will be messed and won't show the true rating.

What about:
- Reset the 1v1 ladder.
- Coop players will make the game unrated.
- Make a new ladder RM-TeamGames.
- Close the RM-General ladder, like you did in CS. link
- RM-General won't affect RM-Overall
- I don't really care about the decay system, I will never reach 2k or even 1,8k, so do whatever you want :)
- And delete RM-Clans... this makes no sense, too! Or leave it, but it shouldn't be count in the Overall rating.

After this RM-Overall would show your true skill.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Benzin_

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:15 pm
oh and one more thing
Beginners RM shouldn't count in RM-Overall
and I think Beginners lobby DOESN'T need a ladder! If somebody is a beginner, he won't care about ratings. And not beginnerts won't go smurfing in the beginners lobby...
Link | Reply | Quote
 Utube

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:19 pm
no no no no n no refusing REFUSING!!
bad news
bad idea
bad something
REFUSING!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]_El_Hassan

Posted 15 December 2012 - 2:47 pm
Benzin_ wrote:
oh and one more thing
Beginners RM shouldn't count in RM-Overall
and I think Beginners lobby DOESN'T need a ladder! If somebody is a beginner, he won't care about ratings. And not beginnerts won't go smurfing in the beginners lobby...
+1 for this idea.
Link | Reply | Quote
 x_Pain_x

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:32 pm
for my opinions some of the changes are good some not and some need too be modified
i think u should get cs clans off like in cs else it ll get pt like it happened here and that ll count in overall so ppl will get fake rates and won't show true skills of a player
Link | Reply | Quote
 _Doge__

Posted 29 December 2012 - 2:47 pm
RM-Teamgames and RM-1v1...but FFA games? Even if they aren't common (and I'm not a RM player), i think they deserve a ladder (not necessary a separate one).

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]
Displaying 1 - 12 out of 12 posts