Community Forums > General > General Discussion > Suggested Voobly Rating Decay IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Suggested Voobly Rating Decay IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Poll: Do you want a Rating Decay System on Voonly
Strongly Agree
Agree
Don't care
Disagree
Strongly Disagree
 [__HW__]_Pro

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 4 December 2012 - 11:30 am
30 days will be good
10 is too fast
Link | Reply | Quote
 Good

Posted 4 December 2012 - 6:45 pm
Personally I think it should be structured like this:-

After first 10 days of inactivity = -20 points
After next 10 days of inactivity = -20 points
After every 5 days of inactivity after that = -10 points
Link | Reply | Quote
 kopfnicker_

Posted 4 December 2012 - 7:47 pm
so players like daut jordan chris viper will be 1800 if they decide to take a longer break from aoc ?
would be the worst decision ever.
only way this could work is launching a whole new ladder - else ull lose alot of players imo.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MD__]DaDrunkInside

Posted 4 December 2012 - 8:17 pm
so players like daut jordan chris viper will be 1800 if they decide to take a longer break from aoc ?
would be the worst decision ever.
only way this could work is launching a whole new ladder - else ull lose alot of players imo.

They all support this, so your point is totally invalid.
Link | Reply | Quote
 CSA_P_T_Moore

Posted 5 December 2012 - 8:13 am
A another great suggestion would be define a 'quick game', which the user click in a button and automatically the voobly 'search' a oponnent hidding both rating.. like starcraft 2 style. The players would not know the rating oponnent when they action this functionality. There will the problem about map choice, but the voobly system could define a random map style with random civ.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Arcole

Posted 5 December 2012 - 6:30 pm
Im thinking when peo[le goes on holydays, they could be out of computer for sometimes, let say maximum 3 weeks. I don't disagree on the principle, but the days you leave to the people. It will be fair to leave them 21 days.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Eot_]Marvel__

Posted 5 December 2012 - 6:48 pm
Arcole wrote:
Im thinking when peo[le goes on holydays, they could be out of computer for sometimes, let say maximum 3 weeks. I don't disagree on the principle, but the days you leave to the people. It will be fair to leave them 21 days.
Or just go on holiday and lose 20 points? You can get them back in one game, really not a big deal..
Link | Reply | Quote
 Vlad_Dracul

Posted 6 December 2012 - 2:14 pm
A friend of mine brought this topic to my attention, so I came back to this forum after a long time just to throw my 2 cents in.

First, I must say that I quit playing AoC in 2009 and, despite the fact that I still cherish this game (one of the best ever made, in my opinion), I don’t have the slightest intention to play it again. Some of the reasons you will find below.

Second, I find it most unfortunate that too many Voobly-players are still obsessed with those stupid worthless points.
They should of realized so far that the purpose of a game (any kind of game) is to have fun while playing it (except the situations where you make a living out of that activity - professional football players are a good example, playing for points gives one a fortune gained in only a couple of years), not for some useless ranks or numbers...

Ofc, it's in the human nature to be competitive, to wish to prove that you're better than others (but most important, better that yourself - meaning beating your personal records, playing better than you ever thought you're capable of), but if achieving that means sacrificing the joy of playing a game – or if that’s the main or the only reason for playing that game – well, it’s simply not worth it, in my God damn opinion.

I must confess I made the mistake of being lured into the trap of “Play better!”, “Play better!”, “Play better, God damn it, or you’ll suck!” so I dedicated more and more time trying to improve my gameplay.

It was only when I learned to imp in 27 (back then it was quite something to imp in 27 playing Michi with Teutons, maybe now it’s different, dunno) and I did it enough times to prove it wasn’t just an accident, that my eyes were open.

I realized that in the last games I spent all the time ‘till imp cursing and swearing between my teeth “Focking boar is too far!”, “Retárded vill is cutting the wrong tree AGAIN!”, “Where’s the God damn gold?!”, “No last 2 sheep, WTF?!”

Not to mention the fact that when I started to play this game back in 1999 (AoK) or 2000 (AoC) I simply loved to lay back on my favorite chair and enjoy watching my Teutonic Knights and Paladins fighting, with only a minimum tactical manouvers.
But playing on-line at a certain level meant that this simple joy was long gone, I could afford to watch the battles only in recorded games… I simply set gather points and massed armies there, being careful not to send them to certain death, but didn’t had time for anything else, had to rebuild expired farms, put idle vills to work or kill them, secure the trade, build walls of stone and walls of houses etc.…

It was then when it just hit me.

“Where’s the FUN, man, did you REALLY had any FUN while estabilishing your best performance ever?!”

As a consequence, I immediately stopped playing the game I loved most…

And since then, I still do play good games (Knights of Honor, to give just an example, is another great game that I’d warmly recommend to all RTS players) quite a lot, but I’ll NEVER make that mistake again.

That’s why I play World of Warcraft only 2 or maximum 4 months every year, when I notice I tend to go performance-berserk again and the fun is rapidly fading away, I decide it’s time for a break.
A long break.
‘Till I really miss it and I want to remember the simple joy of playing that game again.
Just playing the game.
Expecting nothing but fun.

And third, if the community really insists on having a rank and rating system, make a fair rank system for those who want to play for points, a system inspired from Roland Garros or Wimbledon (just to give an example) tennis tournaments, the so-called “Cup-system” – since I think it’ll be almost impossible to make a “Championship system” (like Premier League/Bundesliga/Serie A/Primera Division) properly work, can’t imagine almost a thousand AoC players playing against each other, one by one.

I don’t have enough time to give more details about that idea, but I think you got the point.

Finally, take care of you and your loved ones, play games for fun when you have spare time and simply enjoy the life as much as you can.
You’ll never notice when time will fly and next thing you know you’re an old man (like me ;lol ).
Link | Reply | Quote
 gfrhdafhfa

Edited 7 December 2012 - 12:21 am by gfrhdafhfa
A friend of mine brought this topic to my attention, so I came back to this forum after a long time just to throw my 2 cents in.

First, I must say that I quit playing AoC in 2009 and, despite the fact that I still cherish this game (one of the best ever made, in my opinion), I don’t have the slightest intention to play it again. Some of the reasons you will find below.

Second, I find it most unfortunate that too many Voobly-players are still obsessed with those stupid worthless points.
They should of realized so far that the purpose of a game (any kind of game) is to have fun while playing it (except the situations where you make a living out of that activity - professional football players are a good example, playing for points gives one a fortune gained in only a couple of years), not for some useless ranks or numbers...

Ofc, it's in the human nature to be competitive, to wish to prove that you're better than others (but most important, better that yourself - meaning beating your personal records, playing better than you ever thought you're capable of), but if achieving that means sacrificing the joy of playing a game – or if that’s the main or the only reason for playing that game – well, it’s simply not worth it, in my God damn opinion.

I must confess I made the mistake of being lured into the trap of “Play better!”, “Play better!”, “Play better, God damn it, or you’ll suck!” so I dedicated more and more time trying to improve my gameplay.

It was only when I learned to imp in 27 (back then it was quite something to imp in 27 playing Michi with Teutons, maybe now it’s different, dunno) and I did it enough times to prove it wasn’t just an accident, that my eyes were open.

I realized that in the last games I spent all the time ‘till imp cursing and swearing between my teeth “Focking boar is too far!”, “Retárded vill is cutting the wrong tree AGAIN!”, “Where’s the God damn gold?!”, “No last 2 sheep, WTF?!”

Not to mention the fact that when I started to play this game back in 1999 (AoK) or 2000 (AoC) I simply loved to lay back on my favorite chair and enjoy watching my Teutonic Knights and Paladins fighting, with only a minimum tactical manouvers.
But playing on-line at a certain level meant that this simple joy was long gone, I could afford to watch the battles only in recorded games… I simply set gather points and massed armies there, being careful not to send them to certain death, but didn’t had time for anything else, had to rebuild expired farms, put idle vills to work or kill them, secure the trade, build walls of stone and walls of houses etc.…

It was then when it just hit me.

“Where’s the FUN, man, did you REALLY had any FUN while estabilishing your best performance ever?!”

As a consequence, I immediately stopped playing the game I loved most…

And since then, I still do play good games (Knights of Honor, to give just an example, is another great game that I’d warmly recommend to all RTS players) quite a lot, but I’ll NEVER make that mistake again.

That’s why I play World of Warcraft only 2 or maximum 4 months every year, when I notice I tend to go performance-berserk again and the fun is rapidly fading away, I decide it’s time for a break.
A long break.
‘Till I really miss it and I want to remember the simple joy of playing that game again.
Just playing the game.
Expecting nothing but fun.

And third, if the community really insists on having a rank and rating system, make a fair rank system for those who want to play for points, a system inspired from Roland Garros or Wimbledon (just to give an example) tennis tournaments, the so-called “Cup-system” – since I think it’ll be almost impossible to make a “Championship system” (like Premier League/Bundesliga/Serie A/Primera Division) properly work, can’t imagine almost a thousand AoC players playing against each other, one by one.

I don’t have enough time to give more details about that idea, but I think you got the point.

Finally, take care of you and your loved ones, play games for fun when you have spare time and simply enjoy the life as much as you can.
You’ll never notice when time will fly and next thing you know you’re an old man (like me ;lol ).

Vlad! Gosh, long time no see. I really miss the good times too! I miss zone. Everyone were happy on zone. They never tried to please point-hungry players, or cared about someone syncing a game. Everyone simply knew what they had, and sticked themselves to that. People actually dared to play the good old games, like Rambit TD, PTO, Bloods and much more. I rarely see these games anymore.

Although, I think it's great that Voobly is trying to please everyone. But I think it's a shame that the "everyone" they are trying to please, are all the people who complain and only care for rating and ranks. These people are the only people I see on the forums. The rest just play in peace.

I don't see how Voobly wants to punish players like this. Especially a lot of players that don't want to be a part of it.

I would never let my kids whine to the point where I had to give them the chocolate, like Voobly does.
I think it's a shame that kids who whine get their will. These rules about game syncing, playing rated games with players far below your own rating or if someone walls in an ally and so on. People have whined so much about it it becomes a "rule" not to do it. Not that I support people doing it, but I think it provokes more rating anger in the society.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TyRanT]_Jidba

Group: Most Valuable Player
Posted 7 December 2012 - 12:33 pm
I dont know hows things on RM
There maybe this decay system it could work

But FOR DM
It will just drop the high rated nicknames to 1800

You wanna ruin a whole ladder from 2400 to 1800-2k ?

I would only accept this system as the RIGHT CHOICE only if ratings were fresh

NOT IN A LADDER THAT IS 5 YEARS OLD AND MOST PEOPLE SPENT HUGE TIMES FOR REACHING HIGH RATINGS

Freeze the old ladders make NEW ONES and then put the decay system too.

Its not hard i guess you already did that in aok
***You removed the DM 1vs1 Ladder all of sudden for no serious reason(imo) and got me really frustrated //cuz it made me play a lot and was 2k+ there and suddenly i log in one day and i see its gone//

If this Decay system applies to my dm names i will stop playing on this server.

And i really mean it because the decisions made seemed to me REALLY ANNOYING BY SOME IMMATURE PEOPLE WHO TRYING TO COPY OTHER POPULAR GAMES.

PS: A 1600-2000 active noob can easily say YES to this poll because he believes its fking cool BUT IF HE WAS A TOP PLAYER WHO IS BUSY OR SOMETHING WITH SEVERAL HIGH RANKED GAMES HE WOULDNT ACT SO HAPPY I GUESS

LEARN TO TAKE IMPORTANT DECISION INSTEAD OF SETTING A PUBLIC POLL IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS ONE

A decay system in such an old ranked database is a completely FAIL

Want decay system?
Freeze old ratings and do it in a new one
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MD__]DaDrunkInside

Posted 7 December 2012 - 12:34 pm
I think they plan to record old ratings.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [WTF]Interlet

Posted 7 December 2012 - 4:22 pm
It's not punishing players, the length of time just needs to be longer, but your rating shouldn't mean **** if you don't play any more - if you were really that good you could leave a legacy aside from points, if not, well you're just another normal player like the rest of us...
Link | Reply | Quote
 Vlad_Dracul

Posted 7 December 2012 - 4:33 pm
***You removed the DM 1vs1 Ladder all of sudden for no serious reason(imo) and got me really frustrated //cuz it made me play a lot and was 2k+ there and suddenly i log in one day and i see its gone//

They can even delete your account (or mine or everybody elses) but they can't take away the recorded games we played and the satisfaction we felt after our most epic battles...
Won or lost.
Sometimes, a really good game doesn't necessary mean a victory.

Play for fun and it'll worth the time spent with AoC.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TyRanT]_Jidba

Group: Most Valuable Player
Posted 7 December 2012 - 9:23 pm
Earning goals and getting motivation is FUN
If they take back ur achievement then you get a really bad feeling.
Thats the subject and not if we had fan playing this game or not.
Link | Reply | Quote
 Vlad_Dracul

Edited 7 December 2012 - 9:54 pm by Vlad_Dracul
Actually you're right, if your definition of "fun" is to play a computer game only to get certain numbers next to your name, well, in that case, who am I to judge your desires?!

Link | Reply | Quote
«4567891011121314151617181920[21]222324
Displaying 301 - 315 out of 346 posts