Community Forums > General > General Discussion > Suggested Voobly Rating Decay IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Suggested Voobly Rating Decay IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Poll: Do you want a Rating Decay System on Voonly
Strongly Agree
Agree
Don't care
Disagree
Strongly Disagree
 [MD__]DaDrunkInside

Group: Standard Membership
Posted 27 November 2012 - 9:34 am
imo this is just a way for alot of the lower skilled players to try catch up in rating ofcourse the higher rated players arn't gona want this but there is far more 1800 1900 players that will want this i know a couple of the players that suggested this idea and to be honest i think they care to much about other people's ratings and what not but either way this will pas so whatever

Yea cus Jordan and Theviper are trying to catch up to the pros who are agaisnt it here!
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ViCiouS]Skreemo

Posted 27 November 2012 - 9:46 am
Topic needs to be pruned.

Interesting incentive. It is long overdue, which makes it a lot harder to implement as this community is full of people who do not like change, hence why they're still playing a 10 year old game actively (myself included).

You need to make a distinction between RM/DM and CS. They work differently, yet use the same system.

10 days inactivity resulting in minus 20 points is fine. Ratings are never intended to be used as a milestone, they're intended to match like-skilled players together. Games played and wins are more of a milestone than ratings in that sense. I've played this game for roughly 8 years online and have had my periods of activity and inactivity. I've never found it difficult to play a match every 2 weeks when balancing a busy work load, social activities, sporting responsibilities as well as occasional holidays. If I can't play in those 2 weeks, losing 20 points is nearly equivalent to losing a 1v1 to an even-skilled player in the ELO system, which is no drama.

People have become addicted and dependent on having a high rating through any means necessary. Their addiction discourages others from trying to play competitively. It also creates a large amount of complaints. Truth is you'll never have a perfect system, but in order to improve Voobly, change is inevitably needed. I find it selfish to be more concerned about your rating, rather than to make the gaming experience enjoyable for one another.

May I propose that people who hold Voobly membership are given an allowance of an extra 5 days or so. Reward those who contribute to Voobly's work. After all, this client doesn't run on thanks and plaudits alone.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MaJoR]_ANiMoSiTY

Edited 27 November 2012 - 9:52 am by [MaJoR]_ANiMoSiTY
A decay system is great for the community as it will eliminate those who take advantage of their skill position and dominate high rankings, which are then left dormant for all time.

What it doesn't stop is those who exploit ratings between brackets (RM) and have an "Overall" high rating, which they can continue to abuse even with the decay system in place.

I think that something similar needs to be seen in RM that happened in DM, except perhaps instead of making it simplified to the point of just having one rating for all game-types, you create a ladder system ring fenced away from the overall rating ladder. Like an eSport competitive ladder.

Make 1v1/General/Overall/Clan Matches less competitive by placing a slightly leaner decay, e.g. 20 points after 20 days (as some people go on holiday for more than 10 days and the casual gamer might see that as a bummer) and introduce a new competitive ladder, maintaining the current suggestion of 20 points after 10 days.

I think there should be some distinction made between the "competitive" and the "casual" and not penalise players for short spell breaks post-1800 as that might be counter productive and demotivate those who can't afford as much time on the game as the pro all-day all-nighter.

_Kd
Link | Reply | Quote
 [MD__]DaDrunkInside

Edited 27 November 2012 - 9:51 am by [MD__]DaDrunkInside
People have become addicted and dependent on having a high rating through any means necessary. Their addiction discourages others from trying to play competitively. It also creates a large amount of complaints. Truth is you'll never have a perfect system, but in order to improve Voobly, change is inevitably needed. I find it selfish to be more concerned about your rating, rather than to make the gaming experience enjoyable for one another.

May I propose that people who hold Voobly membership are given an allowance of an extra 5 days or so. Reward those who contribute to Voobly's work. After all, this client doesn't run on thanks and plaudits alone.

;cheers

Well said. People point at me and say: Oh you don't play many rated games, or you are not a competitive player. Well its not like I don't want to be, I'd love to be able to set up a blood game for 18++ and actually get people who know a lot of blood maps instead of people who know one and are still bad at that map lol.
Quote:
I think there should be some distinction made between the "competitive" and the "casual" and not penalise players for short spell breaks post-1800 as that might be counter productive and demotivate those who can't afford as much time on the game as the pro all-day all-nighter.

True. That might be a very good idea. Enforce a strict ruleset on this 'pro' ladder so that the people who simply play for points are not allowed abuse it.
Link | Reply | Quote
 __R0cK_Lee_

Posted 27 November 2012 - 9:56 am
Strongly agree but the time limit should be increased to 15-20 days and something should be done about vacations and examination period for people like me.
but all in one i like the whole idea.
Thanks.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [INoV]CarlosFerdinand

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:05 am
How about you just introduce a SEASONAL RATING SYSTEM in 1v1 ladder?

Remember the initial spark the rm 1v1 ladder generated? If the aim is to reflect the in-form and active players, the seasonal ratings reseting to 1600 for the rm 1v1/new ladder can generate this spark and competition every month.

Point ****s will find ways to play a game in this time (maybe a tg that loses them a max of 3 pts) to keep up their rates. Players who didnt care abt their rate much, still got 2300- riut for eg. maynot bother and fall back even tho his rate was deserved.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [INoV]CarlosFerdinand

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:16 am
Anyway add a "highest rating" tag incase you implement this.
Link | Reply | Quote
 RivaL_ReNeGaDe

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:18 am
Question: Are these 20 points per day or how exactly are the 20 points deducted (till the minimum 1800 requirement).
Link | Reply | Quote
 [VCOM]Antu

Group: Voobly Promoter
Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:26 am
will premium memberships "save" players from the decay system?

well well. say your word voobly
Link | Reply | Quote
 RivaL_ReNeGaDe

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:29 am
And another thing: The people who are asking to raise the days from 10 are probably smurfs themselves. I think 10 days is adequate time to log onto an account and play one game. Taff isn't asking anyone to code an expansion pack, he's simply asking you to log onto your PRIMARY account and play a game. Vacation? Lose 80 points for being on a 14 day vacation and win it back with a few games; keeps things active, appealing, and challenging. Look at any other rating system in the world. If you're not active, you will NOT have a place in the number one position.

I believe this system is a big fix, but like Taff said as well, it isn’t going to fix all the problems. No system is flawless, but it’s better than sitting here and watching fake accounts run the playground. If I was ranked one in my division in Starcraft II and decided to go on vacation for 14 days, you really think I would have rank 1 when I come back? No, and I think it shouldn’t be allowed here as well. 10 days is reasonable. Too much trolling the forums than playing games is what it seems like.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [ A ]UnNaMeD__

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:26 am
No. What if person is going for journey or having exams etc?? He will lose points even he plays all days. Increase time to 20-30 days? Because banned peoples are forever inactive they will be removed.
Link | Reply | Quote
 ZeroEmpires

Group: Streamer
Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:41 pm
The decay system should reflect the loss of skill of a player proportional to the length of time they have been away. Of course everybody is different but if a player leaves a 2.2k+ account for 1 year and comes back one year later I'm pretty sure they won't be 2.2k at first. The question is: after 10 days of absence does a player lose 20 points worth of skill? I doubt it and that's why I think 10 days it too short; perhaps 20-30 would be better. This system is to bring accounts to their real rates, not to deal with smurfing.

I think this will prevent players from having a stupid number of smurf accounts, though smurfing will undoubtedly still happen.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [UykusuZ]Bekir_

Posted 27 November 2012 - 1:37 pm
Dont chance anyting aoc is good with this system.. we dont have a lot players and everyone dont play this game eveyrday we are playing when we find free time...
Link | Reply | Quote
 Lord_SwAlL

Posted 27 November 2012 - 2:16 pm
Really great news.

This change is really important and also necessary. The Top 10 Players in RM almost haven't changed at all in recent years and the Top 10 have got kind of stuck. Due to the implementation of the decay system we will be able to see changed in the Top 10 again and this will encourage active players to also play to maintain their spots instead of smurfing on other nicks. I dont like the amount of only playing one game in 10 days to prevent this from happening. It should be at least 5 days in this time period.

It might be also a good idea to reset the Ratings once in a half year to let other players gain a better spot. Activity should definitely have an advantage here. It will also prevent the players from smurfing as it won't be that effective anymore. Not sure if it's possible to implement here for you guys.

Thanks anyway !

I totally agree with you ( I think you are talking about seasonal ratings ), I would decay all the nicknames every 5-7 days (not only above 1800) + reset all the nicknames once per season (season of 6 month or 1 year). I would also record in the profiles the rating reached in each season.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [TeG]Breakinth0ughts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 3:44 pm
i dont agree bcz i dont play always.. i m playing when i have free time i dont have to play this game everyday this is silly..

so simple said but so powerfull

Link | Reply | Quote
«3456789101112[13]14151617181920212223»
Displaying 181 - 195 out of 346 posts