The Bugfix

Poll: Should Voobly Implement the Bugfix into the AoM:TT Lobby?
Yes
No
 [OB_]BoIt

Posted 2 September 2012 - 5:03 am
This is an official poll for the AoM:TT community from Voobly

A message from Nakamura (head of the Fan Patch team and lead programmer for AoM:TT) explaining what the bugfix is and why it is necessary.

The Bugfixes

AoT clearly is a game that was rushed to “completion”. There are countless and countless little programming mistakes that we have fixed now. If we could dig deeper into the game, we could probably find much more of the sources of the bugs.

A quick explanation of the fixed bugs:

• Hippolyta minion conversion bug fixed – A simple programming mistake, mummies can’t use their special on other heroes. And now they can’t do this to Hippolyta either.

• Healing Spring deconstruction by Chronos bug fixed – A god power deconstructing buildings, but not a single building created by god powers (under world, tart gate, plenty….), but the Healing Spring. Obvious programming mistake, you can’t target the Healing Spring with Chrono´s Deconstruction anymore.

• Fixed a bug regarding docks being unable to shoot at certain water myth units – some myth units were left out at the part where targets were enabled… obviously rushed programming. All water myth units are targetable now.

• Changed the basic unit stance of Leviathans from defensive to aggressive – Why would anyone want to have a military unit spawn in defensive stance?

• Fixed the Satyr accurate shot special – This was supposed to have 100% accuracy, but it did not.

• Atlanteans can research draft horses now (the upgrade was accidentally not inserted) – A so called shared technology, something researchable by ALL civilizations. Well it is now, anyway. Again, we suspect rushed programming of protox.

• Changed the caravan unit stance to aggressive to avoid the caravan bug – Caravans no longer need to be told to go to the already targeted town center. We don’t know the exact source of the bug though.

• Oracle scouts can now garrison, and all myth units special attacks work on them – We don’t even know how ES could not see that this unit is horribly bugged. Very careless classification of the unit, and overlooked garrison tags.

• Decreased the time frost needs to freeze units. This solves the bug of heroizing Atlantean units escaping. – Since you can hardly escape frost, unless you are already on the border of its range with your units, this should not create problems. The heroizing Atlantean units will now be caught after conversion.

• Bast upgrade bugs fixed – Wrong classifications led to this, but we are not surprised that ES didn’t notice this one.

• Titan gates are now deletable. – Misplaced titan gates will now no longer have to act as invisible walls if the player wants to show his good will.

• Changed the basic unit stance of oracle scouts from passive to aggressive.- Same as with leviathans, this is a miliraty unit.

• All huntable and herdable animals (including set animals) are now affected by frost – Overlooked by ES we assume.

• Caladria can now auto-heal. – This is a partial implementation, you will have to move your caladrias around so they start auto healing. Again, we don’t know the exact source of the problem.

• The kraken special attack now works on Fire ships. – Overlooked programming mistake, a missing target for the kraken special.

• Changed the initial stance of fishing ships to aggressive. – This is to avoid the drop off bug.

• Atlantean citadel centers now provide favor – Programming mistake, the ES workaround only had an effect on the sudden death map.

• Fixed a bug regarding Fire siphons being unable to hit gates on higher/lower ground from their maximal range – The fire was set to 0 height. It couldn’t possibly hit buildings above the ground, which is how gates are defined in the files.

• Fixed a bug that prevented Caribous of Set converting nearby herdables. – Simple programming mistake.

With these fixes, we get one step closer to fair gameplay. Hopefully more fixes to come. If you want to be a part of this new, fairer play, help us with getting to a Voobly implementation of the bug fix patch.

What it comes down to is that this is a change which will impact YOU and we want your input as to whether or not YOU want this.

Below is a list of the advantages and disadvantages of the Bugfix.

Advantages:
    Bugs which cause an unfair advantage to one player in a game are no longer present.
    The game is going to be played how it was designed, rather than how it was released.
    Possibilities of slightly new strategy due to bugs being stapled out (like myth units being targeted by dock fire)

Disadvantages:

To play version 1.03 you will need to run the uninstaller which is located in your Age of Mythology directory. If you don't, it will cause Out of Sync errors.
    To watch recorded games from version 1.03 you will need to run the uninstaller which is located in your Age of Mythology directory. If you don't the recorded game may not work correctly.

Please vote above.
Regards,
Voobly
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Posted 2 September 2012 - 2:39 pm
Additional -pro argument :
If the FanPatch will be implemented, the team will donate some $ to voobly, which should cover the implementation of the FanPatch, AND the Anti-Cheat system, that has been advertised for long.
Game- balancing releases may follow. The decision is yours.
In addition, the FanPatch team would consider providing constant balancing in the future, assuming a balance release will be implemented.

What's wrong with the spelling in my copied post? I would never write Chrono's instead of Kronos' xD
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DMG]feldsy1223

Edited 3 September 2012 - 1:12 am by [DMG]feldsy1223
Question: How would the bugfix work with certain mods, such as ESanta's user interface? Has this been tested or not? I aprrove of the changes that are being made, but I know that a large amount of voobly players use mods and just want to make sure this doesn't screw it up.

One last thing: i didn't see the kronos being unable to research omniscience mentioned there. Is that something nakaruma can fix or is he unable too. (i know timeshift takes up the space where omniscience is supposed to be)
Link | Reply | Quote
 [OB_]BoIt

Posted 3 September 2012 - 1:22 am
Mods are not affected with this bugfix. They all work as before.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Posted 3 September 2012 - 6:03 am
One last thing: i didn't see the kronos being unable to research omniscience mentioned there. Is that something nakaruma can fix or is he unable too. (i know timeshift takes up the space where omniscience is supposed to be)
That was programmed by ES intentionally, there is a command that blocks omniscience for Kronos.
I assume ES thought that timeshifting would be overpowered, so I can't change this, since it's not a bug - not a programming mistake.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [aKm_]GaLLoWs

Posted 3 September 2012 - 2:20 pm
does this mean i'd have to uninstall/reinstall aot or voobly? it doesn't specify.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bo0T]ll_Lucifer_ll

Posted 3 September 2012 - 4:46 pm
does this mean i'd have to uninstall/reinstall aot or voobly? it doesn't specify.

No. It would be an automatic update/download.

Although, we already have a Bugfix lobby and the mods could just make an automatic patch which installs bugfix there. People could slowly migrate over to the second lobby and that would be full implementation in itself .
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Posted 3 September 2012 - 8:22 pm
No. It would be an automatic update/download.

Although, we already have a Bugfix lobby and the mods could just make an automatic patch which installs bugfix there. People could slowly migrate over to the second lobby and that would be full implementation in itself .
Which would leave room for Armycore's project too!
BoIT?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [OB_]BoIt

Posted 4 September 2012 - 2:29 am
We are currently looking at ways to implement this safely with as minimal disruption to the current user as possible. This poll is simply a way to see if people want this or don't.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [Bo0T]ll_Lucifer_ll

Edited 4 September 2012 - 5:27 pm by [Bo0T]ll_Lucifer_ll
[OB_]BoIt wrote:
We are currently looking at ways to implement this safely with as minimal disruption to the current user as possible. This poll is simply a way to see if people want this or don't.

To the bugfix lobby or the main one?
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Posted 4 September 2012 - 8:11 pm
Voobly staff, and not you BoiT, needs to say out aloud that they will implement this for everybody sometime, after that other project of ours is concluded.
I'm not asking much, and we have promised a donation as to thank voobly, and cover the anti-cheat system costs.
Perhaps that might motivate the staff to make one official post past your efforts?
Link | Reply | Quote
 ArmyCore

Posted 6 September 2012 - 1:48 am
This is a must, but we should wait until we have completed our work before going live with the bugfix.
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Posted 6 September 2012 - 8:30 am
Of course, that is why i suggested implementing it in the bugfix lobby, wich is only used by testers anyway.
Link | Reply | Quote
 IamAvely

Posted 6 September 2012 - 11:34 am
Escaping frost is not a bug. It's simply good play, and with cav it's quite easy to do....
Link | Reply | Quote
 [DoD]_Nakamura

Edited 7 September 2012 - 12:56 pm by [DoD]_Nakamura
Are you sure, that you understood the log?
Atty units that are turned into heroes while frost is cast, do not get frosted. Escaping is another story.

This negotiation is incredibly unprofessional on your behalf, dear voobly staff.
My team will not throw their money out of the window for that sort of treatment.
I know that BoIT represents you, but he's not a high level voobly mod.
I, as the head of the fanpatch team, have only gotten information on progress through him.
That is unacceptable, and I demand these circumstances to change.

Link | Reply | Quote
[1]2
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 27 posts